How to help me, help you:

chronic9 said:
every 4 days or so. my windows box freezes. i dont get any blue screens either or anything like. the even viewer stops recording events after 12am, i was on the PC until 1 am. what type of info can i send you so you can help me out?
running win xp SP2, system restore turned off. i dont hav any virus or spyware problems either. i dont overclock either.
Not a whole lot. I would definatly look into heat for a hard freeze.

70 Polara: Thanks

i wuld like to help also , can u teach me how to read dump files so i can help with replys too . hwo do u read dmp files anyway? do you have a special program to decode this dmp file because wen i try to open wtiht notepad it all just cmoes up as random syboms

leeroy said:
i wuld like to help also , can u teach me how to read dump files so i can help with replys too . hwo do u read dmp files anyway? do you have a special program to decode this dmp file because wen i try to open wtiht notepad it all just cmoes up as random syboms
Honestly, unless you write code, I wouldn't bother, since a lot of the concepts won't really make sense.

As to decoding the dump file, it's a memory dump, of what's in memory, plus some metadata about whats in memory, so it's not suprising that it's gibberish in notepad.

This is the public version of the tools I use:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

If you do write code, then get the tools that Ranma has linked you to and use this book as a reference. I can answer whatever questions you come up with over in the programming forum.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i wrote code for , c , c++, java ....ok i will download that prog and download some users dmp file to see if i can read it

I updated the MS patches from on Tue (I did it yesterday because the network was down). Now my computer will not start. I had had a few BSODs previously, but I can't remember the details right now. They usually occured when playing games or music and when they would occur I would get a hideous digital screeching over my headphones.
the minidumps from recent are:
http://locker.uky.edu/~jestru0/Mini110105-01.dmp
http://locker.uky.edu/~jestru0/Mini091405-01.dmp
http://locker.uky.edu/~jestru0/Mini091205-01.dmp
http://locker.uky.edu/~jestru0/Mini083105-01.dmp
http://locker.uky.edu/~jestru0/user.dmp
I honestly don't know if these things are related. All that I know is that when I applied the patches from tuesday, my system will reach the windows loading screen (with the scrolling blue bar) and then a black screen a bit of HD acess then after about 30sec it restarts.I tried safe mode, last good configuration, and no luck.
I am running WinXPPro SP2, StyleXP, McAfee Antivirus Enterprise with uptodate dats. MS AntiSpyware, Adaware, Spybpt S&D, and scan weekly on trendmicro. No OCing, MEMTEST86 comes up clean and as of a month ago PRIME95 ran fine for 1 week (I went on vacation and just had my mom check on the computer).
This has me really perplexxed. I have a full memdump but no where to upload it as it is 768mb in size.

do i nneed to have c+ installed too ? i run windebug and open a user dmp file but when i try to debug it , it says something about G ? cant compile so i assuming this program uses c++ library files to debug right?

leeroy said:
do i nneed to have c+ installed too ? i run windebug and open a user dmp file but when i try to debug it , it says something about G ? cant compile so i assuming this program uses c++ library files to debug right?
Wow! You read the book that quickly? I'm impressed!

What's G? You don't have to compile anything.

Hello, PedroDaGr8.

I looked at Mini110105-01.dmp. It is for BugCheck 7F, {d, 0, 0, 0}. So that's a plain old access violation, and code 0x0D is a general protection exception. So someone is touching memory they don't own.

The call stack for this one is mangled so I'm a little iffy and I can't find a task switch gate. The only partial stack dump I get points at a module called DME2000:

Code:
f712d000 f7148920   dne2000    (coff symbols)         dne2000.sys
    Loaded symbol image file: dne2000.sys
    Mapped memory image file: [deleted by mikeblas]
    Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\dne2000.sys
    Image name: dne2000.sys
    Timestamp:        Wed Oct 27 14:29:30 2004 (4180133A)
    CheckSum:         0002FDBD
    ImageSize:        0001B920
    File version:     3.7.1.11880
    Product version:  3.7.1.11880
    File flags:       0 (Mask 3F)
    File OS:          10004 DOS Win32
    File type:        1.0 App
    File date:        00000000.00000000
    Translations:     0409.04b0
    CompanyName:      Deterministic Networks, Inc.
    InternalName:     DNE
    OriginalFilename: DNE2000.SYS
    ProductVersion:   3.07.1.11880
    FileVersion:      3.07.1.11880
    FileDescription:  Deterministic Network Enhancer
    LegalCopyright:   Copyright (c) 1997-2004

It looks like part of your network stack, juding by the name and that it's being called from NDIS.SYS when it falls over. I'd get support from Deterministic Networks, or whoever gave you the driver for VPN access.

When I looked at Mini091405-01.dmp, I couldn't get good symbols for the kernel. It was for a misaligned memory access.

I looked at Mini091205-01.dmp. This one is BugCheck 50, {b615fcd8, 1, 805505a1, 0}, which is an invalid page fault. Someone accessed system memory that wasn't yet reserved; in your case, they were trying to write it. The memory was never allocated by anyone, so caused an invalid page fault while a driver had control of the system. The driver, in this case, was for your Nvidia display, nv4_disp.dll:

Code:
bf9d3000 bfdcb980   nv4_disp T (no symbols)           
    Loaded symbol image file: nv4_disp.dll
    Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\nv4_disp.dll
    Image name: nv4_disp.dll
    Timestamp:        Thu Jan 29 17:22:55 2004 (4019B1EF)
    CheckSum:         003FF2D4
    ImageSize:        003F8980
    Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e0 0409.04b0 0409.04e0

Juding by the very old time stamp, you've either not cleaned up your system when switching video card drivers or you've got a very old driver on there. It's a little suspect that this file isn't stamped with detailed version information.

mikeblas said:
Hello, PedroDaGr8.

I looked at Mini110105-01.dmp. It is for BugCheck 7F, {d, 0, 0, 0}. So that's a plain old access violation, and code 0x0D is a general protection exception. So someone is touching memory they don't own.

The call stack for this one is mangled so I'm a little iffy and I can't find a task switch gate. The only partial stack dump I get points at a module called DME2000:

Code:
f712d000 f7148920   dne2000    (coff symbols)         dne2000.sys
    Loaded symbol image file: dne2000.sys
    Mapped memory image file: [deleted by mikeblas]
    Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\dne2000.sys
    Image name: dne2000.sys
    Timestamp:        Wed Oct 27 14:29:30 2004 (4180133A)
    CheckSum:         0002FDBD
    ImageSize:        0001B920
    File version:     3.7.1.11880
    Product version:  3.7.1.11880
    File flags:       0 (Mask 3F)
    File OS:          10004 DOS Win32
    File type:        1.0 App
    File date:        00000000.00000000
    Translations:     0409.04b0
    CompanyName:      Deterministic Networks, Inc.
    InternalName:     DNE
    OriginalFilename: DNE2000.SYS
    ProductVersion:   3.07.1.11880
    FileVersion:      3.07.1.11880
    FileDescription:  Deterministic Network Enhancer
    LegalCopyright:   Copyright (c) 1997-2004

It looks like part of your network stack, juding by the name and that it's being called from NDIS.SYS when it falls over. I'd get support from Deterministic Networks, or whoever gave you the driver for VPN access.

When I looked at Mini091405-01.dmp, I couldn't get good symbols for the kernel. It was for a misaligned memory access.

I looked at Mini091205-01.dmp. This one is BugCheck 50, {b615fcd8, 1, 805505a1, 0}, which is an invalid page fault. Someone accessed system memory that wasn't yet reserved; in your case, they were trying to write it. The memory was never allocated by anyone, so caused an invalid page fault while a driver had control of the system. The driver, in this case, was for your Nvidia display, nv4_disp.dll:

Code:
bf9d3000 bfdcb980   nv4_disp T (no symbols)           
    Loaded symbol image file: nv4_disp.dll
    Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\nv4_disp.dll
    Image name: nv4_disp.dll
    Timestamp:        Thu Jan 29 17:22:55 2004 (4019B1EF)
    CheckSum:         003FF2D4
    ImageSize:        003F8980
    Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e0 0409.04b0 0409.04e0

Juding by the very old time stamp, you've either not cleaned up your system when switching video card drivers or you've got a very old driver on there. It's a little suspect that this file isn't stamped with detailed version information.
Hmm ok, the VPN is a CISCO VPN CLient that I use to access the chemistry jounals on UK's campus. Driver is an omega driver so maybe thats why. I shld update it (slipped my mind). Though none of that seems to relate to my problem which is that windows refuses to boot, since I apllied the most recent patches. Has anyone else heard of this happening and how to fix it.
Edit:
Oh yeah, I forgot to say thanks for you help, I really appriciate it. If I can get windows back up and running, then I will def. make sure to update the drivers and try to get rid of the CISCO client (try another vpn client) or atleast reinstall it and hope that fixes things.

I could use some help from you guys. I've got a dell inspiron 6000 laptop that gets a BSOD every time I boot into windows. The BSOD screen doesn't reference a specific driver. I did update the drivers with the ones from Dell's website as well as the BIOS.

I have tried the windows debug tool from microsoft and it seems to see a problem with ntkrnlpa.exe but that's all I see.

I let memtest86+ run overnight and it had no errors.

Here's a link to a .zip of several minidump files:
http://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0I2CZ6E0RVO292QJX8JFP6R9WE

Thanks for the help. Let me know if you need more info.

I ended up just wiping it clean and starting over. I sure wish I knew of a good way to figure out what driver was causing the problem. Oh well.

hey

i have been having occasional random reboots but lately more of these stop errors:
here are the memory dumps:

i zipped em (theres 5):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/27q58l

the system is:
xeon 3060 (no o/c) but all cpu features turned off currently (i get the same result whether they are turned on or off)
abit ip35-e mobo
7900gto @ gtx (with bios) (its downclocked in windows to the default gto speeds)
g.skill 4-4-3-5 being run loosely at 5-5-5-15 with low volts, mem test stable for hours

thanks in advance

bcracer220

Each one of your dumps is a different error at a different place in the system. This always means you have a hardware problem -- it's not a matter of bad drivers.

Usually, it's bad memory. It might be the motherboard or the CPU, though. In the outside cases, it can be because some device is screwing up the bus while other devices are trying to do the right thing.

alright cool, ill test each and every piece of hardware now. i was just wondering though, i put in my old psu instead of my newer corsair hx 520 and i havent had any reboots or blue screens since then. could it actually be that my corsair hx 520 is defective? cuz ive tried different boards and i bought new ram and i changed the hard drive already, didnt seem to make a difference till i put in a new psu.

alright cool, ill test each and every piece of hardware now. i was just wondering though, i put in my old psu instead of my newer corsair hx 520 and i havent had any reboots or blue screens since then. could it actually be that my corsair hx 520 is defective? cuz ive tried different boards and i bought new ram and i changed the hard drive already, didnt seem to make a difference till i put in a new psu.

Sure. I've had a power supply not supplying enough stable current to a CPU to cause Machine Check exceptions... (9C)

Hi Ranma!

I've heard of it to, but I don't understand the failure mode and it's never happened to me personally. If you've replaced the supply and aren't having the errors any more, though, it's hard to argue with that diagnosis/

Hi Ranma!

I've heard of it to, but I don't understand the failure mode and it's never happened to me personally. If you've replaced the supply and aren't having the errors any more, though, it's hard to argue with that diagnosis/

Hey Mike,
How's the free life?

Busier than I've been in a while, but lots more fun. How's digs for you?

Same. Security never slows down... ;)

You ain't kidding.

Hey man. By the way, I actually have a few questions for you about the very stuff you've been a part of at work. Mind if I shoot you a PM for info, or would you suggest I stick them here or in one of the other subforums?

I hope you are still helping people. I have been getting blue screens on an almost daily basis for the last week. Except I don't get a blue screen: the computer instantly shuts down. I'm in the process of doing memory scans and full virus scans. I've already replaced some RAM and that hasn't helped. My computer is 'protected' by McAfee VirusScan Enterprise which is constantly kept up to date and scans the hard drive at least twice a week, but I'm not ruling out a Trojan.

Anyhow, I posted my minidmp files here. I've run the Windows Event Viewer and recorded the error in a text file called 'System Error'. I also noticed that there is a consistent sequence of events recorded before the blue screen. That sequence is listed in the 'Event Viewer Sequence' file.

As far as I know, I haven't tweaked the system other than allow some exceptions to the firewall (nothing new recently).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I have absolutely no idea. On your box Win32k.sys is Access Violating. I would normally say bad memory, but it crashes in the exact same place each time...

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thanks for the quick response. I must admit, I'm not nearly as advanced in the workings of the computer as you are, so please pardon the obvious questions - if it isn't memory, is the file corrupted?

Back