How to ensure which GPU is active?/Crossfire issues

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
I bought two R9 290s back in December. Most of that time, I've only gamed single-card, at first because I would mine on the second card. Now that GPU mining is no longer profitable, I decided to try turning CF back on, but I've been having some bad issues in Crossfire playing BF4. Really bad/blatant hitching, crashes.

Also, I was having AMD-related BSODs for a while, which I used to be able to stop by disabling Crossfire (which would enable itself after every driver upgrade). Lately that stopped working, but I was able to get it to behave by lowering the multiplier on my CPU back down to stock.

My first thought was that the secondary GPU may be faulty. Now, with everything bolted into my WC setup, physically removing just one card would require either some delicate surgery to remove one card from its waterblock, or for me to drain the entire system. Being lazy, I instead decided to switch which slot got initialized first in the BIOS, and then plugged my monitor into that card.

Having done that, is there any chance that my (old) primary card is doing the compute for BF4 and the secondary card is just outputting the picture? Or can I be sure that the secondary card is doing all the work? What's the best way to tell? I can see in GPU-Z which card is getting load but without a serial number or something it's hard to tell which is which.

If the secondary card was doing the work, the results of my test were promising. BF4 performed very well single-card, then went back to dreadful performance when put into CF. Has anyone encountered these kinds of problems on X58? With both GPUs giving identical results, the BSODs being resolved by lowering the CPU multi, and the problems only happening in CrossFire, I'm beginning to think my platform may be the root of my problems, not one of the cards.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Have you tried removing (using DDU) and reinstalling drivers? You also might check with your mobo manufacturer to see if they have any updated bios.

Back