How to disable Pentium-M laptop clock throttling?

SonicTron

Snopes is My Fact Checker
I pretty much always leave my laptop plugged in, is there some utility I can download to disable clock throttling? Its always clocking down to like 600mhz from 1600 but I'd prefer it not do so

1) Your laptop will automatically throttle up when you need extra speed. Much like overclocking a PDA to run at max speed all the time, why bother?

2) Run Folding@Home. Not only will it run your processor at full speed all the time, it'll be putting those cycles to work for a better cause than just about anything else I can think of. You can set it up as a service under WinXP, so you never have to see it. And it won't hurt performance.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Poke around in your power management settings, you should be able to set it to never clock throttle. I did that with some Pentium M VAIOs here at work. (only when plugged in to power, when on battery it once again changes the processor speed)

==>Lazn

Lazn_Work said:
Poke around in your power management settings, you should be able to set it to never clock throttle. I did that with some Pentium M VAIOs here at work. (only when plugged in to power, when on battery it once again changes the processor speed)

==>Lazn
I think it's available only with XP pro, not the home edition.

speedswitch xp

NeuroMaster, the built in dynamic throttling is less than elegant. On my P4 M, I cannot watch DVD's or videos while letting Windows take care of it.

0ldman said:
speedswitch xp

NeuroMaster, the built in dynamic throttling is less than elegant. On my P4 M, I cannot watch DVD's or videos while letting Windows take care of it.
Thank you! Much faster now!

TehQuick said:

Ugg, XP Home, I think I blocked that evil creation out of my mind, like Windows ME.

==>Lazn

SonicTron said:
Thank you! Much faster now!
LOL

It's like you didn't even read the first reply. The CPU runs at full speed under load and slower when it's not needed. SpeedStep works great.

TehQuick said:
:rolleyes: power management is available in both Home and Pro. These are the ALL the differences between Home and Pro: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

I use Home and the only useful things that are missing are remote desktop, encrypting file system and per file access control. But I never really used those under WinXP Pro either.

you also cannot use dynamic disks; something that i did want to do on my laptop, and home wouldnt let me.

there are things that are not on Home that arent on htat list.

lithium726 said:
you also cannot use dynamic disks; something that i did want to do on my laptop, and home wouldnt let me.
Actually dynamic disks isn't supported on laptops, even if you have WinXP Pro: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314343

NOTE: Dynamic disks are not supported on portable computers or on Windows XP Home Edition-based computers.
There are still very, very few differences between WinXP Home and Pro that are not on that list I linked.

pxc said:
LOL

It's like you didn't even read the first reply. The CPU runs at full speed under load and slower when it's not needed. SpeedStep works great.

:rolleyes: power management is available in both Home and Pro. These are the ALL the differences between Home and Pro: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

I use Home and the only useful things that are missing are remote desktop, encrypting file system and per file access control. But I never really used those under WinXP Pro either.
works great on your laptop, for you.

Speedstep works like ass on mine, I can't watch a video with out overriding speedstep. I can run @ 1200MHz (P4M) and watch anything I want, but if Windows is handling Speedstep, every 2 seconds it drops frames, then fast forwards, then plays right, then drops frames, then fast forwards...

0ldman said:
works great on your laptop, for you.

Speedstep works like ass on mine, I can't watch a video with out overriding speedstep.
Speedstep on battery or AC? And if you're watching something like DiVX, of course that's going to take a lot more CPU power than DVDs. Playing back DVDs should have no skipped frames on any half-way modern laptop. Even my old Toshiba 750MHz/Savage4 laptop played back DVDs smoothly on battery power with speedstep enabled.

SpeedStep has worked fine on my last few laptops (<--- plural), Toshibas and Dells.

Maybe there's something wrong with your laptop/drivers. I'd easily get rid of a laptop if it can't even handle basic functionality like the problems you say you're having.

pxc said:
Actually dynamic disks isn't supported on laptops, even if you have WinXP Pro: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314343
thats odd, cause as soon as i put xp pro on hte laptop, the option for dynamic disks reapeared!

There are still very, very few differences between WinXP Home and Pro that are not on that list I linked.
yes, there are very few. but if he says that there is an option that is not present on his laptops power management settings ( he never said power management wasnt there at all, mind you) then either 1. it is not supported by xp home, which is possible or 2. he has to set another setting to get that option to appear, which is also possible. support for #1 comes from dynamic disks, and support for #2 comes from the fact that you have to have fast user switching turned off to enable hibernation in XP.

pxc said:
Speedstep on battery or AC? And if you're watching something like DiVX, of course that's going to take a lot more CPU power than DVDs. Playing back DVDs should have no skipped frames on any half-way modern laptop. Even my old Toshiba 750MHz/Savage4 laptop played back DVDs smoothly on battery power with speedstep enabled.

SpeedStep has worked fine on my last few laptops (<--- plural), Toshibas and Dells.

Maybe there's something wrong with your laptop/drivers. I'd easily get rid of a laptop if it can't even handle basic functionality like the problems you say you're having.
You don't have a middle ground for agreeing to disagree or working around a problem or anything do you?

With Speedswitch XP, I can control Speedstep, the same as the Speedstep Utility from Intel for pre XP. When I watch Divx, MPEG, MPEG2 or DVD, the video skips and fast forwards constantly, on AC or battery, regardless. It does not do this when I enable battery savings on speedstep or when on max power, only while dynamically adjusting speed, either by XP default control or Speedswitch XP Dynamic control.

My understanding of the dynamic speed changes requires a flush of the pipes, which will be noticed under video. Maybe not with a Pentium M...

Bottom line, SonicTron asked for help, asked for a way to make it stay at max speed, and instead of helping you and NeuroMaster inform him it isn't needed.

If there was a real downside to running a laptop at full speed while on AC, I'd agree, however I don't see it. If the system cannot handle the temp output under full load at full speed, I consider the system to be a defective unit or defective design and the start of a class action suit.

Whether you see a need for it or not, there are hundreds of people on Dell talk forums that use Speedswitch XP as they are not happy with XP's control of their CPU speed. Never mind the fact that you cannot get an accurate or even reportable bench with 3dmark while Speedstep is enabled... never mind the fact that laptops in general have numerous software/hardware issues, many of which are completely bypassed by using Speedswitch or other non-OEM modified drivers...

Your answer is not the only one that is correct.

0ldman said:
My understanding of the dynamic speed changes requires a flush of the pipes, which will be noticed under video. Maybe not with a Pentium M...
No, dynamic speed switching occurs at the ms level and it doesn't "flush" the CPU pipelines.

You're entitled to your opinion for the rest of that post. I'd rather fix the problem than force high power mode, but do as you like. 3DMark benchmarking is about the only reason I agree with manually controlling SpeedStep.

I would like to point out that yes, I said that I didn't think there was a need to manually control your laptop's clock speed. It's never been an issue for me, so I'd never heard of Speedstep XP. Thus, it's not as if I knew how to solve his problem and was selfishly denying him that information. I'd also like to point out that I recommended running Folding@Home as a workaround. Not as elegant a solution as some of the other ones people have mentioned, but it would have solved SonicTron's problem.

Bottom line, please don't ridicule my attempt to offer help :rolleyes:

NeuroMaster said:
Bottom line, please don't ridicule my attempt to offer help :rolleyes:
No less than PCX scolding the original poster for thanking me while praising you.

No offense meant here, none taken, but keep in mind, this is a big world and a complicated industry. You don't know everything, not nearly enough to judge whether someone's question has justification and you don't know why he's asking, or which solution works better for his/her problem. Not really directed at NeuroMaster, mostly at PCX.

PCX, not the same app, but for comparison, CPUMSR flushes the pipelines, and gives a slight pause to the system (not noticeable while playing a vid mind you) when changing the P state of the AMD mobile or P state enabled desktop chips. Could be an oddity of my laptop, I don't know, don't care. It works for me, I just don't run dynamic when watching a vid, 99% of the time I'm using my laptop its on max battery anyway...
In general, you're one of the guys I respect here, but you push, I push back.

Back