How to connect HTPC to Amp?

The Chosen One

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys, ive got an Onkyo TX-SR601 amp and a 6.1 setup. I'm just wondering what im going to need to do to connect my HTPC to this setup. My HTPC is currently without a soundcard (cept the pos onboard one), but i have an SB Live 5.1 in my other comp, but am basically wondering what soundcard i need to buy to connect to my amp.

Also, how am i going to do this, i know i have an S/PDIF socket (a 3.5mm headphone jack) on my SB Live, but how do i connect that to the Digital Coax input on my amp?

I only want to use the soundcard as a passthru to my amp.

Im using the comp atm for my HD-TV via my VisionPlus DVB-T card, as well as DVD and some mp3s.

Basically, i really know very little about the audio side of things as far as integrating the HTPC with my existing sound setup goes, and i want to know how you guys do this.

I assume i need some sort of cable from teh SPDIF passthru on a soundcard like the SB Live, to the Digital Coax input on the amp, but what cable is that, and where do i get it?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

You could try a 1/8" stereo to mono RCA adapter and use the coaxial input on your receiver. I'm not 100% sure that the SB Live is up to the task, though. What motherboard do you have? Does it have an SPDIF out? If so, it might be a better solution.

Personally, I'd scrap the SBLive and get a $25 Chaintech AV-710 from newegg and use that to connect to the receiver. You'll get much better audio performance out of it than even some $200 cards since you're not using it for gaming. Your Onkyo will appreciate the 7.1 channel 24-bit/192KHz resolution via the optical out, and your wallet won't miss teh $25 bux ;)

if you want more than stereo from games, etc. Youll need 5.1 analog cables hooked up, instead of spdif. Thats the general idea with the spdif, find a 1/8 to rca, probably mono. and plug into the receiver.

Get a soundblaster audigy 2 platium. the one with the live drive. then hook your computer up the the reciever with a fiber optical spdif . bam presto.

"fiber optic" - toslink, still only carries stereo uncompressed audio, which is everything except for dvds, so you still need 5.1 analog cables hooked up. which is basically 3x stereo 1/8 jacks to rca jacks, then connect all 6 rca's to the receiver.

Hmm, well this HTPC isnt for games, ive got another, better, comp for that. Im only using it for HDTV, DVDs and music (MP3s and CDs).

So if i understand you guys correctly, a Mono 1/8" (3.5mm) to mono RCA cable plugged into the S/PDIF on my Live, and the Dig. Coax input on my amp would get me 5.1 on DVDs, but Stereo on stuff like games (if i were to play games that is)? (please correct me if im wrong)

SilverMK3, that sounds like a great suggestion, but i live in Australia, and i dont know anyone who stocks Chaintech Soundcards. All i have access to off the top of my head (and without doing too much hunting around), is the SB Live, the Audigy LS, Audigy2 ZS or platinum or platinum pro, the MAudio Revolution 7.1.

I am really loathe to by the Audigy2 Platinum, as ive just spent a fair bit on the Amp, and the Audigy2 is close to $400AUD and i really doubt it will give as good sound quality as the Amp. Also, teh MAudio is only $225AUD so creative can go fuck themselves as far as im concerned heheh.

There must be some way to run a complete passthru of ALL audio information recieved by the soundcard thru to the amp? If a Toslink cable only does Stereo, whats the point of it? Surely in a digital format all the sound info can be passed down a single line without needing to split it up into 1 ch per wire?

Okay just an update, i found teh Chaintech AV-710 for $90AUD here as well as the M-Audio for $190AUD. Bloody hell, i hate living here, you guys get everything less than half price!. I wouldnt mind paying $90 for that Chaintech instead of $50ish for another SB live, as it has Optical output, although if it is only stereo output, it would be a bit of a waste.

The MAudio has a Coax Digital output, and teh Chaintech has Optical i assume both of these would be passthru options? Although the MAudio would probably come close to the SQ of the amp so it may not matter if it isnt.

ambientZ said:
"fiber optic" - toslink, still only carries stereo uncompressed audio, which is everything except for dvds, so you still need 5.1 analog cables hooked up. which is basically 3x stereo 1/8 jacks to rca jacks, then connect all 6 rca's to the receiver.

Wrong.

Edit: BTW this is HTPC question so it now resides in the appropriate section. :D

so the Toslink carries all the required data for all 6.1 channels etc? If thats teh case i think ill just get the Chaintech and connect it to amp via toslink.

Back