How to connect a work laptop, personal use desktop PC and two monitors ??

ChessGator

n00b
Hi fellows,

What is the best way to connect a work laptop, personal use desktop PC with two monitors?

I want to be able to seamlessly switch between using the work laptop and my PC without unplugging and replugging any connections!

Should I use a KVM, docking station or something else? In addition, which type? A link to the item(s) you recommend would be appreciated.

Please no cheap discount stuff only top of the line equipment!

Thank you in advance

I am using an avmton KVM with hotkey for keyboard and mouse and the monitors are connected to their respective systems directly because I need them up and running independently for my stuff.

Could use a Wavlink docking station (like this) and a software like Synergy for mouse and keyboard sharing.. https://symless.com/synergy.

There are free software solutions, just can't think of it now.

I use one of these 4k wavlink docking stating everyday for my work laptop as I work from home and never had an issue. You will need to install drivers, that's it.

If you're cheap, most monitors have multiple inputs. Push the button to change and you're done. Otherwise a kvm or two should do it. Not sure if there's KVMs for dual monitors, or if you'll need to switch on two KVMs. Some monitors can be controlled through the display connector, so you might be able to rig up some automation with that.

Hi fellows,

What is the best way to connect a work laptop, personal use desktop PC with two monitors?

I want to be able to seamlessly switch between using the work laptop and my PC without unplugging and replugging any connections!

Should I use a KVM, docking station or something else? In addition, which type? A link to the item(s) you recommend would be appreciated.

Please no cheap discount stuff only top of the line equipment!

Thank you in advance
Two ways to do it--hardware or software.

Hardware (with cost)--dual monitor kvm. Press of a button on the kvm to switch seamlessly between both setups.

Software (and free)--enable RDP on your personal system and RDP into it from your work system that you keep connected to the monitors, etc. You can enable dual monitor RDP and it will be seamless.

Depending on your access level requirements, software should be good enough for 99% of use cases--unless you need access to bios and pre-boot environments on each system--the hardware is the only way to go.

I started out using a 16-port cybex kvm back before RDP was invented (and still have it), but once the advent of RDP came about, that's my goto in almost all cases now for use. When working on systems I still use a hardware KVM.

Press of a button on the kvm to switch seamlessly between both setups.

Can use keyboard shortcut as well. In my case double tap left ctrl then 1-4 to select computer. My reasons for KVM is that I needed a hardware only solution as one of the computers belongs to employer and is used for security work so any software must be approved and validated. Much less headache to go with KVM.

FWIW I'll add that compatibility with my IBM Model M keyboards and old Logitech Trackman Marble were mandatory and can confirm they work flawlessly with the KVM I linked.

Last edited:
Can use keyboard shortcut as well. In my case double tap left ctrl then 1-4 to select computer. My reasons for KVM is that I needed a hardware only solution as one of the computers belongs to employer and is used for security work so any software must be approved and validated. Much less headache to go with KVM.

FWIW I'll add that compatibility with my IBM Model M keyboards and old Logitech Trackman Marble were mandatory and can confirm they work flawlessly with the KVM I linked.
Yep, most kvms have some sort of 'keyboard shortcut' as well.

The softwar solution that uses a work computer as RDP client should work even in your scenario since the RDP client is built-into windows. It also opens up the possibilities to any OS that has an RDP client.

Great minds think alike. :) I too use an M and a trackman thumb wired. (y)

Hi fellows,

Please note that I have two 4K 144Hz monitors.

Thanks
4K+ high refresh + KVM gets expensive ... That's how I ended up with ConnectPro. I would suggest that you reach to them with exactly what you have and what you're needs are. I found them to be very communicative and open about what they could or could not do.

you will need a high end KVM. I use my built in KVM with my gigabyte monitor. it allows for me to use a single monitor with 2 computers and share a mouse and keyboard.

I get by using the input selector on my monitors. A KVM would be slicker, but the input selector works good enough I can't justify the cost.

Just reread, 2x 4k 144hz monitors? Buy a top of the line KVM. Us plebs will struggle along pressing buttons.

Last edited:
If the KVM is expensive, one possible thing that could be tried (depending on the OS combo of the respective PC and the tasks) is to remote desktop from one to the other, so you can simply alt tab from one to the other

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
1686678327453.png

Based on that alone I'd avoid like the plague. That said, if you're okay troubleshooting it and wasting your time then have at it.

I am looking purely a the picture without looking spec, but it seem you have a single DP port out and that the HDMI port is 2.0 (could be limited to 4k 60hz)

It seem there is one with 2 hdmi 2.1 for the same price that do 2 monitor at 4k-144hz if your monitor are hdmi 2.1, if you mind the refresh rate ( I would assume you do having paid the kind of premium 144hz at 4k must be) it is something to keep in mind

Hi fellows,

I agree that the KVM is getting bad reviews at Amazon.

Is there a more reliable KVM than this one with the same features without breaking the bank?

Thanks

Back