How to clear/reset config on Cisco 2620

PopeKevinI

2[H]4U
Not the first thread I've made about this router. I'm getting it ready to sell, and I need to clear the configuration info so there's no old company data on it.

I've used this document to get around the long-lost password. I'm presently able to get to the "Router>" prompt.

Any tips? Anyone wanna buy this thing once I get it cleared? :p

PopeKevinI said:
I'm getting it ready to sell, and I need to clear the configuration info so there's no old company data on it. I'm presently able to get to the "Router>" prompt.

Don't know details as to the 2620 itself but...
Code:
Router> enable                                    // (enter the password)

[incorrect command removed - thanks [url=http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1027034710&postcount=5]Goofball[/url]]

Router# erase startup-config           // erase all the startup info
You can double check with "sh startup-config" Not sure what other files will be needed off hand, you should be able to find them with the cisco docs online (login banners and such).

as long as you know the secret
just do enable->enter pass-> erase start ->confirm-> power cycle

Malk-a-mite said:
Don't know details as to the 2620 itself but...
Code:
Router> enable                                    // (enter the password)
Router# conf t                                    // config via terminal
Router(config)# erase startup-config           // erase all the startup info
You can double check with "sh startup-config" Not sure what other files will be needed off hand, you should be able to find them with the cisco docs online (login banners and such).

This is incorrect. You don't enter config mode to erase the configuration. You just have to be in enable mode. Either use the "erase startup-config" command or "write erase" to clear the config and reset the router to factory defaults. Also, don't forget to reset the config register after you get done but before you reset.

Goofball said:
This is incorrect. You don't enter config mode to erase the configuration. You just have to be in enable mode. Either use the "erase startup-config" command or "write erase" to clear the config and reset the router to factory defaults. Also, don't forget to reset the config register after you get done but before you reset.

Does being in config mode prevent the erase command from working or is it just an unneeded step?

the command simply isnt recognized by config mode.

some stuff works out of it, most stuff works in it.
erase works out of it.

Looks like that did it. Thanks, guys.

Now to figure out a fair price for this thing.

PopeKevinI said:
Now to figure out a fair price for this thing.

They regularly sell from $150 - $500+, but it all depends on the loadout ((RAM, Flash & Interfaces).

Back