How to choose? Thoughts

Weaksauce
Hi All

I'm UK based; looking ideally for 16:10 24" monitor 1920x1200 for general gaming Strategy/FPS

Sounds straightforward yes? lol if only!!!

Ho buget £500 fine £600 if I could guarantee perfection...

Anyway I've looked and looked and looked again! Everything seems to come with one problem or another:

1.The FlexScan S2433W top end gamma shift issue. approx £660

2. HP ZR24W is classed as outdated and has been removed as a recommended buy on some sites, although price is good in the UK £320

3. Dell U2410 lol do I need to say anything... UK price £465 from Amazon.

4. Dell U2311 Not what I'd prefer but may in fact be the best option £262

Thoughts I could wait, fed up of that need a decision. The FlexScan + Gamma shift + smashing the budget and not available at Amazon, well no I think.

HP ZR24W Hmmm good price from HP themselves but dated tech? I honestly don't know

Dell U2410 yep possibly lots of issues and expensive in the UK, still Amazon do stock it good, quality yeah variable but it's the right size has many good reviews they are on revision 4/5 so most issues have been sorted? Maybe...

Dell U2311 Price is good Amazon stock it, wrong size but this could be my make do monitor at £262 it's cheap enough to tide me for 1-3 years until there’s something better hmmm.

Am I happy to have a make do monitor for at least 12 month lol don't know, I suppose not really.

It's really a choice between the dell's and what I can live with, thought?

Thx

I would probably recommend the 2490WUXi2 as an option, though, as you say, this is a tough choice. The S2433W is kind of pricy and, while not objectionable, It doesn't bring enough to the table for your purposes. The lower end stuff like the U2311 is good for gaming but it cannot be recommended for graphics.

Overall, My current picks for a new monitor as an enthusiast would be from the NEC 90 or PA range.

Wait for PLS prehaps and see how those compare to IPS? There is a 1920x1200 24" panel coming but all we know so far is that the 27" version should be out in the spring.

Not sure about the ZR24w being outdated though. It's arguably a better monitor than the U2410 and pretty much the only thing the U2311H has over it is deeper blacks.

Thx for the input

Wait for PLS I can and would but there are no guarantees they will be any better or in the right price range.

The thing about waiting a month or two is you can easily end up waiting forever as there is always something new and better around the corner, unfortunately they very rarely live up to the expectations.

Will take another look at the NEC 90 & PA range thx

I've given my son the Dell 2007WP I was using in exchange for his 15" Dell as a motivator for me to make a decision on a new monitor...

Yep. It's an endless cycle of waiting if you want to play that game. Eventually, you have to take the plunge and dive in.

ZR24w and U2410 are very comparable monitors. Each has trade offs, pros and cons.

ZR24w doesn't seem to have the quality control issues that the Dell has. That is a big plus in its favor. But, it also doesn't have nearly as many connectivity options as the U2410.

Back