How to Build a Multi-Touch Surface

Rofl-Mic-Lofl

For Whom The Bell Trolls
Instructables has a pretty nifty how-to on building a multi-touch surface. I'm not really sure what I'd ever use one for, but I still want one nonetheless!

1271013327bHMvBwiBHh_1_1_l.jpg

"Multi-touch gestures are the latest and greatest way to interact with your computer. However, commercial systems are not widely available and are expensive. Fortunately, you can do it yourself better and for less cost."

Hmm, the cost doens't seem that cheap though. I know the article claims 'for less cost' but at $2500 plus hours and hours of labour I'm not entirely sold on how much your saving. That cost doesn't include a dedicated PC needed to run the OS for the table surface. So you can add $300.00 for a non-gaming system to $1500.00 for a gaming system depending on the [H]ness you want in your surface table.

I guess its still better than the $12,5000 Microsoft Surface Commercial units cost. At least a 60% savings but I still think the price isn't worth it. Now if this guy can get the designs down to a $500.00 DYI project, I'd go for it probably.

Hmm, the cost doens't seem that cheap though. I know the article claims 'for less cost' but at $2500 plus hours and hours of labour I'm not entirely sold on how much your saving. That cost doesn't include a dedicated PC needed to run the OS for the table surface. So you can add $300.00 for a non-gaming system to $1500.00 for a gaming system depending on the [H]ness you want in your surface table.

Yes, it does. That cost includes $1000 for a PC to run it. So without a PC its $1500. And if you've already got a projector, then its $500.

Yes, it does. That cost includes $1000 for a PC to run it. So without a PC its $1500. And if you've already got a projector, then its $500.

And that seems like an overstatement to me, because even if you don't have a recent PC (i'll assume you have a case), you could pick up any old Core2 CPU for 100 bucks (or less), an MB for under $100.00, a cheap GPU (<$50.00) 4GB of ram ($100.00) a decent PSU ($50.00).

That looks like no more than $400.00 for the PC. I can't imagine spending a grand on a desktop for this set up...even if you're going to game on it, $1000.00 seems high.

With that said, I don't see myself doing this. Building a PC is easy, but the rest of that looks like, in my hands, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

And that seems like an overstatement to me, because even if you don't have a recent PC (i'll assume you have a case), you could pick up any old Core2 CPU for 100 bucks (or less), an MB for under $100.00, a cheap GPU (<$50.00) 4GB of ram ($100.00) a decent PSU ($50.00).

That looks like no more than $400.00 for the PC. I can't imagine spending a grand on a desktop for this set up...even if you're going to game on it, $1000.00 seems high.

With that said, I don't see myself doing this. Building a PC is easy, but the rest of that looks like, in my hands, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

They also overestimated for the projector as well. They said $1,000 for it and then linked to a $750 model that appears to be pretty good.

I wish I had enough spare cash floating around to do this, but I've got more important uses for my income...

I think this can be as expensive as you wanna make it, or as cheap as you wanna make it.

Look at the people building MAME cabinets for example.

I say make your own projector with an overhead, and a gutted LCD. Use an automotive bulb if the cost of bulbs scares you. Build a cabinet out of scrap materials instead of heading to your local hardware store/lumber yard. Also, seeing as small form factor wouldn't be a concern here, and the majority of people would be using this for lightweight/HTPC duty... you could toss a PC together with parts you have laying around.

I would think something like this could be done nicely around $400 when all is said and done, assuming you're comfortable taking the true DIY route and not the "buy and assemble" route.

Oh as always, us Linux folk are thifty bastards.
Surface mulitouch under linux.
http://wiki.nuigroup.com/Tbeta_-_Getting_Started

Why does the lumes have to be so high in the Instructables guide (2000+). I would think a pico projector would be enough.

But considering more and more panel pc's are showing up at decent prices with multitouch built in, one could skip all these shanagians.

Its a neat technology but without application support its a fancy demo with a short lived ooohh-ahhhh factor.

Oh as always, us Linux folk are thifty bastards.
Surface mulitouch under linux.
http://wiki.nuigroup.com/Tbeta_-_Getting_Started

Why does the lumes have to be so high in the Instructables guide (2000+). I would think a pico projector would be enough.

But considering more and more panel pc's are showing up at decent prices with multitouch built in, one could skip all these shanagians.

Because the surface is heavily "diffused" and thus it gets dimmed quite alot. In effect, the light is going through sunglasses.

Back