How screwed am I?

Nimisys

Fully [H]
my desktop has been down for the last few months due a bad pump that i was lazy about getting swapped out. finally got the time to do it last week. fired right up and had no issues booting to the desktop (8.1 Pro w/ Media Center). there was about 54 updates to install, and then it restarted. never came back up after that. got into recovery mode, reloaded the last restore point. back into the desktop. leave it for the night. next morning i find i have 7 updates remaining, a single one being critical (.NET framework). tell it to do that update only. on restart get an error message, collecting data and then restarts. get back into recovery mode, load last restore point again, this time no good. get the same collecting info and restart loop as before. Try windows startup repair option, no change. download ISO to usb, boot off USB and do repair option, same problem.

at this point i am thinking clean install. only problem is that this was an upgrade install off of 7, which i know i have long since lost the installation media for, let alone its key. i know i had a legit 8 pro key i purchased through the upgrade tool, but that key was a screen cap, that i stupidly did not put on my onedrive. check my MS account, no history of purchases. search through my gmail, find the cd key for media center :rolleyes:

So back to figuring out how to rollback that last update....

Yeah. You're pretty much sporting teflon soap in a warm motor oil bath in a prison flick right now.

Sounds familiar..
I recently used the following:
bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No

I had to take the recovery option to work from the command line.

I got that from the following thread:
How to Fix the Automatic Repair Loop in Windows 8.1

Just because it won't boot doesn't mean your data is gone.
You can try connecting that drive to another Windows system.
Your key or image of a key should still be there.

Sounds familiar..
I recently used the following:
bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No

I had to take the recovery option to work from the command line.

I got that from the following thread:
How to Fix the Automatic Repair Loop in Windows 8.1

Just because it won't boot doesn't mean your data is gone.
You can try connecting that drive to another Windows system.
Your key or image of a key should still be there.

excellent, i will try that after work.

i know the data is still there, and my user profiles and documents are actually on a different drive (learned that lesson many many years ago), so nuking it isn;t the worst option, just the pain in the ass option.

Yeah. You're pretty much sporting teflon soap in a warm motor oil bath in a prison flick right now.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that statement to be honest, but that's practically sig-worthy at this point. :D

ps
Yes I get the meaning, just kidding there.

Wow, so this sucks. none of the options presented worked. got my hands another 8.1 key, debating whether to get a new SSD and nuke this and start over.

any other ideas prior to going this route?

BTW the error was : SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Step 1: You should try using something like Trinity Rescue Kit to get your data off the system and backed up.

Step 2: You can download an ISO for Win 7 and install it, then do the upgrade to 8.1. Without keys though, I am not sure how far you will get.

Step 3: From this point forward save your keys.

Used this as an excuse to get a new SSD without the wifes anger, so all the data will still be there.

I got a new 8.1 key, so if I am reinstalling, its going to be a clean install, not patching over an existing one.

Back