how safe are you behind a router?

codename47

Gawd
Hey I've just been reading around and wondered how safe am I behind my d-link router? My modem is connected through it before it broadcasts to the rest of my network at home... should I be worried if I keep up all my patches and etc. Can someone hack beyond the encryption of the router and if so is it common knowledge or is it someone who most likely does it for a living rather than for giggles...

Until the computer is turned off, encased in concrete, left at the bottom of the ocean, and the entire planet is nuked from orbit, you're unsafe.

That said, many routers (particularly those configurable via SNMP, and those with web configuration interfaces) have weaknesses, and have had vulnerabilities exposed in the past.

Even without vulnerabilities, many routers are vulnerable to framing, TTL, and bounce attacks, as well as source-routing and spoofing attacks.

Basically you should be running a firewall on every machine behind the router anyway, but if you really don't feel like it you do have some built in protection.

Back