How much W do I need for my setup?

smarenwolf

Weaksauce
Heya,

I'm planning a new rig in Dan's A4-SFX and am trying to figure out if I can use something like a 400W HDPLEX or 2x250W PicoPSU in the rig.

Planned components:
- X370I
- 8700K, mild overclock
- GTX 1080 Ti, mild overclock
- some LEDs (EKWB X370 Monoblock, EKWB 1080 Ti Fullcover)
- DDC-Pump
- 1-2 slim casefans (Noctua 9x14s for example), 4x180mm radiator-fans / 9x120mm radiator-fans (Mo-Ra3 will be used, no idea yet about fan-config).

What kind of energy demand am I actually looking at here?

Some research shows the CPU, stock, using 80-100 watts. The 1080 (half the price, so I'll prolly go for that) using real 170-190 watts.
With some room (100ish watts) for fans and the pump (and board), 400w should be fine?

no. you clearly state you plan on overclocking and everyone that have been trying to run the bare minimum psu have had issues and have had to underclock/under volt their cpus and gpus to get them working. stick with the minimum the gpu requires. dont fight it. there is a reason for it whether you understand it or not.

I wold get mim of 850 !

if you have a sli setup then 1200 at least

Dumb advice, ignore this. pendragon1 has good advice.

Overclocking with no voltage increases generally has a small impact on wattage requirements, mostly on the order of 10-20 watts.

With a GTX 1080 with everything stock, a 400 watt PSU would probably just barely cut it. 100 watts CPU, 200 watts GPU, 50 watts system, 20 watts pump, 3-5 watts per fan, up to 10 watts if using LED fans. I doubt the PicoPSUs have much headroom either. High quality PSUs can get away with load spikes because they can generally handle 120% or more of their rated wattage in short bursts, and load spike numbers are often higher than continuous max load numbers. A 200 watt GPU can spike up to 250 watts on occasion.

If you're trying to stay small, I would pick out a SFX PSU from Silverstone or Corsair, the SF600 and SX600-G being the ideal choices, with the SF600 being the superior performer.

a 1080ti fe is 250w and recommends a 600w psu. i would not go lower.

OP is also considering a vanilla 1080, which has a 500 watt recommendation. In either case, the picoPSU and HDPlex PSU setups are not sufficient, a true SFX PSU is required at minimum.

Correct.
I somewhat downgraded my GPU-plan to the 1080 currently, because the prices are just ridiculous. I can get a 1080 for a bit more than half the price of a 1080 Ti without _that_ much of a difference in performance (compared to price).
500W PicoPSUs exist, so now the question becomes a question about a 500W external brick :D

Correct.
I somewhat downgraded my GPU-plan to the 1080 currently, because the prices are just ridiculous. I can get a 1080 for a bit more than half the price of a 1080 Ti without _that_ much of a difference in performance (compared to price).
500W PicoPSUs exist, so now the question becomes a question about a 500W external brick :D
usually anything over 300w turns into dual bricks. like so: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...ower-24PIN-DC-ATX-Power-Supply/747813627.html would use 2x19v 300w bricks. I wonder if you could repurpose xbox bricks...
oh and you have to read the fine print about the thermal limits. that one says it throttles a lot over 65c so you NEED good airflow over it. I bet that's what dondan's issues is with his...

I was thinking of mounting two slim 92s in the bottom. One under the PSU (had the linked in mind) and one under the mobo. CPU and GPU would be watercooled anyway, so the two fans wouldn't need to push a lot of heat.

Back