Votes: 155 25.8%
  • 128GB+

Votes: 14 2.3%
  • 256GB+

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • 512GB+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
My home machine was upgraded from 32 GB to 64 GB of DDR4 3600. No noticeable difference. Mostly gaming.
You won't feel a difference until windows bloats some more. People had 16GB when 8GB was 'enough' but once the bloat happened, suddenly 8GB wasn't enough. You're just ahead of the curve and won't feel the pinch that 32GB users will.

32GB in main rig
192 on a VM server. First time doing ProxMox.
256 on a TrueNas I'm setting up now. Learning to at least.

My main rig and my TrueNAS Scale server both have 128GB of DDR4. I dabble with VM's quite a bit on my main, and the high capacity in the TrueNAS server is for ZFS cache and some future expandability.

My gaming laptop has 16GB and both of my daughters have systems that have 16GB as well.

Seemed like 8gb was plenty forever, then I went to 16gb and thought that'd be more than I needed. Programs like Chrome just gobble memory... I've made 32gb the minimum now :\.

I just moved from 32 to 64. I dont yet need more than 32 but i am selling some stuff and decided to keep an extra set of b-die i had in another rig and added it to my main rig. Have not tweaked it that much but its running 3600mhz at cas 14 which makes me happy because everyone says its hard to run 4 sticks (especially double sided / dual rank), at good speeds.

I just moved from 32 to 64. I dont yet need more than 32 but i am selling some stuff and decided to keep an extra set of b-die i had in another rig and added it to my main rig. Have not tweaked it that much but its running 3600mhz at cas 14 which makes me happy because everyone says its hard to run 4 sticks (especially double sided / dual rank), at good speeds.
I did the same here. Got a a few 64GB sets pretty cheap on sale so I figured why not.

Last edited by a moderator:
What would the equivalent speed be in ddr5 cas 32 for example? In other words does that super low cas make up the difference in MHz power?

I think games play smoother with 32Gb vs 16Gb, bloatware / windows / game can eat 12 to 13Gb itself !

I think I might have to upgrade soon. 64GB+ (so 64+128+256+) is up to 26%. Making me feel like I'm nearing pleeb status. But it's ok for now and I don't really want to buy any more DDR4, so maybe after I get my plumbing, concrete and roofing work out of the way... houses are money sucking pigs.

I was planning to outfit my Threadripper 1950X build with 256 GB of unbuffered ECC DDR4 soon.

Turns out I got a Lenovo x3650 M5 server with a whopping 768 GB of registered DDR4 for less than the former plan would've cost - more RAM than I really know what to do with right now, especially on a server with just a pair of 8C/16T Haswell-EP CPUs to run VMs on, but I'm glad I have it.

Ludicrous ZFS ARC cache? iSCSI RAM disk? There's a few possibilities here, and I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't need to allocate a ton of RAM to any dedicated server VM instances I have in mind.

I was planning to outfit my Threadripper 1950X build with 256 GB of unbuffered ECC DDR4 soon.

Turns out I got a Lenovo x3650 M5 server with a whopping 768 GB of registered DDR4 for less than the former plan would've cost - more RAM than I really know what to do with right now, especially on a server with just a pair of 8C/16T Haswell-EP CPUs to run VMs on, but I'm glad I have it.

Ludicrous ZFS ARC cache? iSCSI RAM disk? There's a few possibilities here, and I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't need to allocate a ton of RAM to any dedicated server VM instances I have in mind.
Just run a stoopid amount of VMs and realize how little you really need all your other computers. :D I have enough servers to do this HA style, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I would think any developer who requires more would have a quick push back (no sales!)
Yeah, after seeing games from the DOS days gobble memory and more and more until today doesn't seem like this will ever end.

Just run a stoopid amount of VMs and realize how little you really need all your other computers. :D I have enough servers to do this HA style, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
I can't quite get away with that for my main 12700K/RTX 4080 box; Alder Lake steamrolls Haswell-EP in sheer performance, the RTX 4080 won't even fit inside due to the massive heatsink, and VR is so latency-sensitive that even the abstraction of a VM might just add to undesirable performance stutters.

Almost everything else could be done away with, however, barring the hand-me-down family desktop that would require other family members to adjust to the idea that a rackmount server is really just another computer, built with different purposes but capable of serving all the same functions. (That and my litany of non-PC retrocomputers; Amiga emulation is very good, but Power Mac emulation is lackluster and SGI MIPS/IRIX workstation emulation is a sad joke.)

Wanna host a Web site? Fire up a VM/container. How about one of those Plex media server things everyone's raving about? That's another VM. Bulk file storage? IOMMU passthrough an LSI HBA to another VM, boot TrueNAS on that, share via SMB, NFS, iSCSI or FC target as needed. Routing? Stick some NICs in, IOMMU passthrough to an OPNsense VM, convert old consumer router to wireless AP mode. Dedicated game servers? ALL THE VMs, at least one for each game and/or mode within the game (like separate UT'99 CTF and Assault servers).

All of that and more can be done in one rackmount server these days thanks to multi-core CPUs and hypervisors, it's awesome. Just gotta keep it where I won't notice the fan noise as much.

Yeah, after seeing games from the DOS days gobble memory and more and more until today doesn't seem like this will ever end.
It has always been a balance. If specs for a game are pushed too far then no one buys.

I Have 64GB of DDR4 4000, I had 128GB, but I gave half to a friend, now my empty banks are sad. I use my computer for a lot of different things and RAM was cheap to begin with so I filled er up. :p

I didn't think TR could take that much...?

It has always been a balance. If specs for a game are pushed too far then no one buys.
To me it seems if the visuals are worth it, people will find a way to spend for it. It still shocks me today that people will buy a video card that cost more than whole systems did back in the day, especially considering how many people are doing it because back in the day, no one had this type of money for a computer, and today suddenly everyone has $1k for a video card, $1k for a phone, etc.

Changed my vote, again again, because my main machine has been upgraded to 128GB :cool: With how DDR4 prices are, I figured I may as well go all the way with maxxing out my X570 platform since I likely won't be upgrading till after Zen5 / X770 is out.

I didn't think TR could take that much...?
I think that at the time X399 and first-gen Threadripper was released, there were only 16 GB DDR4 UDIMMs at max, so the most that anyone could actually test and verify with on release was 128 GB and it was advertised as such.

Later testing with 32 GB UDIMMs from users suggest that 256 GB is actually very doable on the platform, but I can't confirm that without spending $600+ on nothing but RAM. (That's usually GPU money for us sorts!)

Registered DIMM support remains exclusive to EPYC, however, and therein lies the rub - if you want affordable ECC RAM, you're going to need something that can use RAM pulled from decommissioned servers that get sold off real cheap after a few years, because unbuffered DIMMs very, very rarely support ECC due to a combination of lack of platform support (Intel in particular didn't even bother supporting it on mainstream desktop CPUs until Alder Lake + W680 chipset, and only W680) and the slightly increased costs from needing an extra RAM chip or two to hold the checksum for the rest.

This puts Threadripper (non-Pro) in a weird spot right now, where it supports ECC even more explicitly than mainstream Ryzen and some of the more appealing homelab uses would benefit considerably from having ECC, but getting it in significant quality in compatible UDIMM form will seriously cost you. Even then, don't expect anything faster than DDR4-3200 unless you can source those rare Mushkin DDR4-3600 ECC kits.

Back