Votes: 155 25.8%
  • 128GB+

Votes: 14 2.3%
  • 256GB+

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • 512GB+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Guys, if you want to discuss VMs and Linux etc configs, can you take it to PM or another thread, please?

Asked here for recommendation on dual rank 3600 CL16 X2 and got told off. My 16GB 2X8gb CL14 was apparently too good.
Still waiting for a good recommendation yo!

32GB DDR5 Hynix-M 6000MT/s - Still tuning but these settings have been stable so far 2hrs Anta777 Extreme with 100% GPU load in OCCT.

1682111356797.png

Last edited:
2 systems, 16gb each.... just ordered a 32gb DDR4 kit last night (so cheap... $60) so will move things around and have 32gb on each. Not jumping to AM5 just yet, so $60 not a big deal (plus I had Amz GC to burn so out of pocket was like 30). Supposed to get here today, just in time for Diablo 4. We'll see how the old 1080ti fares, I really don't want to drop $400+ on a new GPU right now.

2 systems, 16gb each.... just ordered a 32gb DDR4 kit last night (so cheap... $60) so will move things around and have 32gb on each. Not jumping to AM5 just yet, so $60 not a big deal (plus I had Amz GC to burn so out of pocket was like 30). Supposed to get here today, just in time for Diablo 4. We'll see how the old 1080ti fares, I really don't want to drop $400+ on a new GPU right now.
IMHO, the 1080Ti is very competitive, even today. Holding up well. I'd wait with regards to current gen of cards before ditching the 1080Ti. Just my opinion. Of course, your power bills might want you to change.... (I'd still wait though).

if you’re not running it in 4k its probably overkill lol but good to have 32gb

Got it installed and seems ok, mem tests ok. The hard part was cleaning out the dust and furballs from the last 2 years....many fans means many cleaning responsibility

*seriously, I clean my filters every 2 months max... open the thing up and you would think a dust demon was living in there
* edit v2 - this says a lot... the gpu fans were pretty clean, all the nasty was system fans. Tells you how much I game on here... 1080ti the fans don't spin up in desktop only mode....

Last edited:
I got 64 also for my latest build ( 2 months ago) because I'm not going to upgrade the platform for a whiiiiiiiiiile.
I mean sure why not, but why? 60 bucks is cheap but still.... ram ssd cache? I don't know....

Running 64GB on my new AM5 build .. 32GB on my daughters new AM5 build .. 64GB on my wife's AM4 build

Last PC I built had 16GB RAM, my current one as 32GB RAM.

Even though I can get another 32GB RAM for $70 I'm not gonna do it because I've read that having too much RAM can actually decrease FPS while gaming.

Last PC I built had 16GB RAM, my current one as 32GB RAM.

Even though I can get another 32GB RAM for $70 I'm not gonna do it because I've read that having too much RAM can actually decrease FPS while gaming.
whered you hear that, not too long go I watched youtube videos of different ram shows more ram gives slightly more fps, on average 10-15 more

whered you hear that, not too long go I watched youtube videos of different ram shows more ram gives slightly more fps, on average 10-15 more
Some games get confused (they make bad assumptions) and indeed, performance can actually drop and even introduce severe bugs in certain cases (where things don't work right at all).

Developers make bad assumptions sometimes about what "a lot" of memory is.

But usually, it's isolated to just a handful of games, but often times it's "the game" that for whatever reason, is the only thing that is important at the given moment.

A game, for example, could make assumption about "efficiency" and do something ram wise that takes a bit to do, but if done "in game" and not done efficiently (think about asset loads), it's possible their implementation works "ok" for 16G, but because it's really inefficient, takes way way way too long (to do the same work) on 32G (that is, they never saw that coming, didn't test, etc.).

I've read that having too much RAM can actually decrease FPS while gaming.
Because you can often have to choose between speed and quantity of ram I would imagine, not all else being equal having more ram hurt anything ?

Current setup:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)

Wonder if I should grab another two sticks for $45. Just need to check clearance with my Peerless Assassin.

Some games get confused (they make bad assumptions) and indeed, performance can actually drop and even introduce severe bugs in certain cases (where things don't work right at all).

Developers make bad assumptions sometimes about what "a lot" of memory is.

But usually, it's isolated to just a handful of games, but often times it's "the game" that for whatever reason, is the only thing that is important at the given moment.

A game, for example, could make assumption about "efficiency" and do something ram wise that takes a bit to do, but if done "in game" and not done efficiently (think about asset loads), it's possible their implementation works "ok" for 16G, but because it's really inefficient, takes way way way too long (to do the same work) on 32G (that is, they never saw that coming, didn't test, etc.).
i also noticed on different games the ram was used differently and fps varies or consistent, every game performed different with more ram

I would maybe buy that back in the 32bit XP days where anything over 2gb had to use /pae switch or whatever which basically paged out higher memory.... in the 64bit windows 10/11 era, I don't buy it. But if you have something that shows differently, that would be interesting. I am not omnipotent who knows.

I would maybe buy that back in the 32bit XP days where anything over 2gb had to use /pae switch or whatever which basically paged out higher memory.... in the 64bit windows 10/11 era, I don't buy it. But if you have something that shows differently, that would be interesting. I am not omnipotent who knows.
Wait, what magic switch is this? And I thought the limit was 4GB?

Wait, what magic switch is this? And I thought the limit was 4GB?
I think you're right about 4gb. You had to put that switch into one of the .ini files to recognize more, it's been so long.....

I think you're right about 4gb. You had to put that switch into one of the .ini files to recognize more, it's been so long.....
Interesting. I'm still using XP as some PDF viewing systems and it would be interesting to know as some of those machines have 4x memory sockets for 8GB, but I didn't think there was any point since it couldn't be used.

Interesting. I'm still using XP as some PDF viewing systems and it would be interesting to know as some of those machines have 4x memory sockets for 8GB, but I didn't think there was any point since it couldn't be used.
XP 64bits will use them up to 128GB or Server for Enterprise or Datacenter 2003/2008 for x86 with PAE will make use up to 64GB RAM (x64 will make use of much more). So it's been a while since one can use much more than 4GB RAM even on 32 bit systems. Not sure one couldn't activate PAE on Windows 2000 Pro and XP Pro x86.
I believe old Windows 2000/NT4 64 bit for Dec Alpha, Mips 4000 and PPC could also use more than 4GB. So that's the nineties.

XP 64bits will use them up to 128GB or Server for Enterprise or Datacenter 2003/2008 for x86 with PAE will make use up to 64GB RAM (x64 will make use of much more). So it's been a while since one can use much more than 4GB RAM even on 32 bit systems. Not sure one couldn't activate PAE on Windows 2000 Pro and XP Pro x86.
I believe old Windows 2000/NT4 64 bit for Dec Alpha, Mips 4000 and PPC could also use more than 4GB. So that's the nineties.
IIIRC 32-bit WinXP had issues with PAE (as in, it didn't really work). But yeah, lots of options for >4GB memory with really old OS.

I don't think the steadystate add-on works with xp 64 hence why I haven't tried using that yet. Would be interesting to see what pae would have done on win2k. The NT build for the Alpha, et al, was far ahead of its time in a space where I guess there wasn't enough demand to keep pushing on those.

IIIRC 32-bit WinXP had issues with PAE (as in, it didn't really work). But yeah, lots of options for >4GB memory with really old OS.
Now that things are coming back to me, I think in my research this is what I ended up discovering and didn't know how it would work with the steadystate add-on (if at all), so I think that's why I never even tried it, especially since video card speed seemed to be more important than memory for rendering the pdfs.

My home machine was upgraded from 32 GB to 64 GB of DDR4 3600. No noticeable difference. Mostly gaming.

Back