How much of a downgrade was this?

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
I have been using my old gaming setup, 3770k, Asus Sabertooth, 16GB Ram, XFX 7970, HAF-932, as basically a file server for Plex. I use it download movies and tv shows and then share the media via windows shares and Plex shares.
I have 20TB of storage on this machine.

I decided I would try and sell the setup minus the hard drives and build a smaller NAS type PC with an i3 or i5.
I sold my setup Saturday night for $750 (no data drives) and started to spec out some builds

I spec'd out a couple based on the Fractal Design Node 804 and Silverstone DS380 and they were $460 for the Node 804 with an i3 and $650 for the DS380with an i5. Both were just case, PSU, mobo, cpu, and 8GB ram.

$650 was too much since I would have only $100 in my pocket and would still need to get a SATA controller, all the mini-ITX boards I looked at only had 4 SATA ports and I have 8 drives.

And since I had no way of watching my media I decided to call up a friend and see if he had any parts cheap so I could build a cheap PC to use in the meantime since anything I order won't probably arrive till Friday or so.

He had a Dell T7400 workstation for $400 with no drives, it has dual Xeon X5470, 128GB ram, and a Quadro FX 580.
I decided to get that machine, mainly since it has dual cpu's and lots of ram.

I got it hooked up and put in all but 1 of my drives and Windows 7 booted up found the new hardware and seems to be working pretty good.

these have the stock coolers and my room was about 78*'s,
dell-t7400-coretemp-task-manager.jpg

One 4TB internal drive and one 4TB USB3 external drive weren't hooked up.
I need to find my USB3 card and I forgot to get the little screws that hold the drives in the 5-1/4" bay slots.
dell-t7400-drives.jpg

So do you think this was an ok downgrade for the money? I pretty much have a machine that seems to do the same thing that I was using my old one for, but have $350 cash in my pocket.

Back