How much CPU to run a Notebook with a 260m GPU?

Skott

Supreme [H]ardness
So I been thinking of getting a notebook again. Its been years since I have had one. My thoughts are for the gaming side of me I want one with a 260m video card. I dont need more than that. I've seen some units that intrigue me at some fairly decent prices. What I'm trying to decide on though is how much CPU I need in a notebook that uses a 260m video card. I know the old theory is 'Get as much as you can afford' but if I want to be budget minded about it how small of a CPU can I go and still run things respectively? I have seen units that have everything from Celeron to dual core, to quad core. I'm thinking Celeron isnt going to cut it but I dont think I need quad either. It'd be nice to have a quad but to keep costs down I'm thinking maybe dual core. So how little/low of a CPU can I get away with for yesterday and today's modern gaming CPU wise and a 260m video card notebook? Is there a minimum here I need to be looking for? Thoughts?

Apparently, even something like the Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 can be a little sluggish when it comes to gaming with the GTX 260M according to this review:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5255

So I wouldn't recommend going any lower than the P7350.

Hey thanks for that link. I was just over at BB and they have an ASUS G51 with the P7350, 320Gb hd, 4Gb RAM, and a 260m video card for $999 and I was wondering if the P7350 was enough CPU. I was thinking more cpu would better but I'm not really up on the mobile CPU chips performance wise. I need to read more about them to discover what is powerful and what isnt.

I would stick with nothing less then a P8XXX cpu.

Thanks for the reply. It looks like if I want the more powerful cpus I need to go to the online stores since BB seems to offer the lower cpu models.I know XioticPC and PCTorque offer P and T CPUs of higher performance. I need to look around some more and see whats available. :)

One of the models I was looking at is the Sager 8662. I was over at the PCTorque website and it comes with P8700 2.53GHz cpu as standard. Now XoticPC offers the ASUS G51VX-A1 with a Q9000 2.0 GHz Quadcore as standard. So I was comparing configurations and pricing and I see on the Sager that PCTorque offers for the same extra cost ($165) a person can get the Q9000 2.0 Quad and the P9700 2.8 Dualcore. Both have 6MB L2 cache so thats the same. One is a quad and one is a dualcore but he dual is a higher clock speed.

So my question is which is the more powerful cpu performance gaming wise? The Q9000 2.0 quad or the P9700 2.8 dualcore? I wanna say the quad but I'm thinking that maybe these two are close in performance since pricing is similar. If anyone has a link comparing mobile chips to mobile chips I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance. :)

If the price is similar, a rough approximation is that the quad core will be slower, but allow for more speedy multi-tasking, while the dual-core will be faster on single threaded apps (which is most of them).

But this is a very rough rule-of-thumb.

Personally, I'd go 9700 dualcore

Dependso n whaty ou want to do. If you really want to do mutlitasking as opposed to simple gaming and things like that, get the Q9000.

Else, go with P9700. My NP8662 has this and i must say i am quite satisfied with it. Max heat of cores after gaming is around 65 C for me.

Back