how much can a RaQ 1 handle?

roberttran

[H]ard|Gawd
How much traffic can a Cobalt RaQ handle? I may host a high traffic website on my old RaQ so it can be isolated and wanted to know how much is too much for a RaQ to handle. The website is going to be straight html with little or no scripts.

Thanks,
Robert

I dont know, I would rather not host anything on something like the RaQ. In my research when Cobalt was still around I almost purchased about 10 of them for a hosting endevour my past employer wanted to do. I'm glad we didn't as the horror stories of performance and reliabilty were quite frightening. Sun is also done with Cobalt and has already put in the final nails for it's coffin.

Only stories I've heard were security problems, but I will be using a firewall.
What kind of horror stories?

-Robert

Yeah, security is the main thing I know. I still would like to get one to mess with myself.... I would say to you use it and see if it can handl it, if not then you know you have to do somthing else anyways...

My company recently purchased 2 RaQ 4r's and so far they're great. All security updates have been applied, and yea since Sun gave up with Cobalt security might be an issue in the future, but I saw a security update as recently as Jan 14th, 2004.

I used to have a website also hosted on a RaQ, which was also hosting over at least another 75 websites and performance wise, things were pretty quick (my webby had lots of CGI scripts).

I dunno RaQ 1 specs off the top of my head, but since the RaQ is a web appliance, it doesn't have the overhead as opposed to real machines. Mainly the reason why you would get something better is if you have complex scripts and database access, otherwise the bottleneck will pretty much be your connection speed (which you can throttle).

There is no real figure. But you shouldn't have a problem hosting say 80-100 private sites.

I wish I had a "Real" internet connection, cause I would have loved to keep mine :(

Originally posted by SupaFly99
There is no real figure. But you shouldn't have a problem hosting say 80-100 private sites.

I wish I had a "Real" internet connection, cause I would have loved to keep mine :(

haha, I'm the one you sold it to.
Originally planned to let my siblings use it so they can learn some basic server admin stuff, but they never used it so I am putting it to use.

Are there any particular security holes I should look out for? The firewall I will be using is my BSD server running ipfw.

Back