How many Optical / 5.25 Bay Pseudo-Poll

zazoulio

Limp Gawd
OK, there it is... I wonder if 4 5.25 bay cases are really needed. Is it a waste of space?

How many Optical / 5.25 Bay's do you use?

If more than 2, please explain.

Z

4 would be pushing it in my case, and right now I only use 2 (DVD-ROM drive in one, and CD-RW in the other), but many people put a fan controller into one of the bays too.

All 4, DVD player, DVD burner, CDplayer, CD burner. Only use burners to burn, never play CDs or DVDs on them, a leftover reaction to the old days when CD/DVD burners cost $200 each. I never feel well with unoccupied spaces in a case. I just stare at that blank plastic faceplate, and stare, and stare, and stare............

IMO you can never get enough, 4 is standard but slim pickins for me. There is nothing you can do with a 3 1/2" bay that you can't do with a 5 1/4" bay. I have empty 3 1/2" bays, using instead 5 1/2" bays for HDs so I can use rubber dampeners! What a huge difference they make. You can also it in coolers if you prefer them. The Lian-Li PC-6077 is my fav for this reason.

i have a CD drive which is always occupied by warcraft3, another CD drive which is usually occupied with CoD, but occasionally used to burn CD's, and my top drive bay is open to let my sexy cold cathode shine through:D

im using 2 out of 3, hard drive cooler is in one, cd burner in the other. 3inch bays are totally open, with a fan there.

3 of them = enough space for a 120mm fan. Have that in one case (+ DVD-ROM, CD burner and a rheobus), had it also in another at one point.

I use one for now, just my trusty cd burner.

In the future I can only see getting a dvd burner, so at most I would use 2.

All four of mine are taken as well.. it just depends what kindof setup you have.. in my case, I have a ton of HD's in my comp so I have some of them mounted in the 5 1/4 bay's ..

5 1/4":

DVD Burner
CD Burner
160GB w/ mounting brackets
160GB w/ mounting brackets

3 1/2":

Floppy
30GB WD Raptor
30GB WD Raptor
60GB

^ thats the stack of things in my comp.

I'm using only 1 optical bay for my cd writer. Had a cdrom before but that one messed up.

Using 2 hard drives at the moment. Have a few others, but those are just for backup.

I'm using 4 out of 4 of my 5.25 bays. The one on top is for a fan controller. The second one is for my CDRW. The third is for my DVD burner, and the fourth is for my DVD-ROM. I wish I have one more so I can use a hard drive cooler or enclosure like kovermours stated.

cdrw drive
crystal fontz 634 display takes 2 bays
vantec fan and light controller

that's 4 bays

I'm using 3/4 of my 5 1/2" bays and 0/3 of my 3 1/2" bays. I have a DVD-ROM, CD-RW, and a livedrive (part of an Audigy Platinum)

Originally posted by Cardboard Hammer
3 of them = enough space for a 120mm fan. Have that in one case (+ DVD-ROM, CD burner and a rheobus), had it also in another at one point.

I tried that once.... and took it out.

Even with tons of rubber dampeners, having a 120mm fan right next to my head was too much :(

Good cpu temps while it lasted though, it blew right over the hsf

I have a Chenbro SR105, and it only has three 5.25" bays. One is occupied by the floppy (has a 3.5" bracket) and the other by my CD-ROM. The other is free, and I don't know what I'm going to do with that one. I LOVE the case I have. I think nowadays the extra 5.25" bays are unnecessary, with the abundance of external optical drives that are available in different interfaces. Prices are damn low as well, and going lower.....

My baby

well stuff migrates around alot
the main tower that is currently occupied (while I work on the rackmount case it was occupying until recently) has 5 bays and they arent nearly enough :p

Bay 1: RD2 PCI Bus Analyzer
Bay 2: CDROM
Bay 3: CDRW
Bay 4: TRIOS IDE Selector
Bay 5: HDD (manually switched backup drive)

then with the cables going out the left side
a stack of 9 HDDs in a ghetto tower extention
(3xHDD to TRIOS, 6xHDDs to RAID Card SX6000)

I'm currently using 4 of 5 Bay's

From the top down:

LiteOn DVD
LiteOn CDRW
Pioneer DVD Burner
Soundblaster Audigy 2 Live Drive

I chose to keep the LiteOn CDRW because it burns CD's a hell of a lot faster than my DVD burner, and I still burn a lot od CD's

Originally posted by Cardboard Hammer
Why not put your computer on the floor?

No room, cramped desk, that's where the power amp goes...

I'll be moving soon, getting rid of this desk, I suppose I could put it back in.

From top to bottom:

LiteOn CD-ROM
LiteOn DVD-ROM
Toshiba DVD-ROM
TDK CDRW

Why? The last two are ugly beige drives that were going to be replaced, and only one was (Toshiba). Most times find the Toshiba drive loaded with the "game-du-jour" and the LiteOn DVD with the DVDs the Toshiba won't read. TDK stays open for burning only. The LiteOn CD-ROM stays open mostly, but gets playtime when I am ripping CDs to HDD. I did find that using the LiteOn DVD to rip CDs was better, though.

Laziness keeps me from pulling the drives out. Besides, having them all installed keeps them off the floor! :D

Back