How many of you actually "like" windows 8 now?

Please vote: (for fun)

• Total voters
You want an official way from MS to disable the start screen, because you feel tortured if you can't see your background while launching new programs..? Seems like what you're saying if so.. :confused: So you kind of sit there and look at the background while in the start menu on Win 7, and the fact that there is a rectangular piece missing in the left/bottom makes no difference, but all of it missing is torture? For real, or early april fools?

I really don't like drastic change I suppose.. I will probably get over it or use mods to "fix" it, but I yeah, I really do think MS should provide a way to disable Metro. It's a Tablet/Touch Screen interface, not a PC interface. Walk a day in the shoes of someone with ADD (not ADHD, there are big differences) and then you might understand. I usually have a huge number of open Firefox tabs and other apps (HWMonitor, CPU-Z, whatever game I'm currently playing) during normal use, but when I start my PC, especially in the morning before the ADD meds and coffee has kicked in, I need clean and no clutter.. So when I say "torture", it may not be that severe, but it's not the good start I like to have to set the tone for the day. For the record, I also opposed the move to Windows 3.0/3.1 when it came out, as I was more than happy to start the day with my good old C:\

Well on mine I can just 1 click on my icons and it launches. I think the metro gui would be good for some things like if a person only opens certain programs all the time and nothing else, it would be ok. But still 7 can do the same 1 click.

Well, ok, but when you say you can 1-click launch apps, you're talking about things that Windows 8 and Windows 7 have in common, like the task bar and the desktop.
It seems to me that arguing that the start menu is good, because you can use launch apps from the task bar and the desktop, which you can do in Windows 8, is not a sound argument. The start screen replaced the start menu, so that is the only thing that it should be compared against really. And when you say it would be good for someone who opens certain programs all the time, well, you can fit 60 programs on the start screen (on my 1680x1050 display any way), so it's hard for me to imagine where that would not encompass probably north of 95% of users, and for those that don't, right clicking the start screen and navigating the All Apps screen still seems easier than trying to do the same in the start menu. I mean it's 4 clicks for each of those scenarios, when doing apples to apples. Really no different in the worse case, and potentially better for most user cases.

EDIT: I am always civil, but alot of the times I am a sarcastic pr!ck! :)
Sarcasm! I love it!

Heh, I can handle that, and am guilty of it frequently myself. :)

I'm liking Windows 8 a lot, still trying to figure out how I want to go about completely migrating from Windows 7 since I have 4 different OS installed on my machine.

It seems much smoother and more responsive than a fresh windows 7 install, although that might just be some kind of UI trickery. I also have no issue with the start screen, I kind of like it to be honest. I was never really a fan of the desktop method and preferred to customize with rainmeter in the past anyways.

I really don't like drastic change I suppose.. I will probably get over it or use mods to "fix" it, but I yeah, I really do think MS should provide a way to disable Metro. It's a Tablet/Touch Screen interface, not a PC interface. Walk a day in the shoes of someone with ADD (not ADHD, there are big differences) and then you might understand. I usually have a huge number of open Firefox tabs and other apps (HWMonitor, CPU-Z, whatever game I'm currently playing) during normal use, but when I start my PC, especially in the morning before the ADD meds and coffee has kicked in, I need clean and no clutter.. So when I say "torture", it may not be that severe, but it's not the good start I like to have to set the tone for the day. For the record, I also opposed the move to Windows 3.0/3.1 when it came out, as I was more than happy to start the day with my good old C:\

What I don't think many people understand, is that just because an UI works on a tablet, doesn't mean it can't be more efficient on a desktop, in logic this is called a false dichotomy. I think it will be better for you given time with it, when I first tried it I was like 'wtf' too, but I needed the under the hood improvements (I had edge cases where Windows 7 completely failed for me, but Windows 8 fixed the issues.) So I forced myself to analyze the start screen under the assumption there may be method to the madness I had overlooked in my tablet-hating haste, after some thought I saw it was really better, it was more efficient, and less jarring to use in small ways (I realize people think the start screen opening up full screen is jarring, but to me, I used to fight with the 'All Programs' button thing, I'd hover over it, go to press it, then it already switched and screwed me up, etc. and less clicks on larger targets is also less jarring for me.) I don't know if there's an answer to your dilemma, but I think probably more use of it will help you see what I see.

Win8 works well for it's optimal use - that is only Steam and Origin clients installed with their contents. Do anything more and it starts to get cluttered and cumbersome.

the more I use Windows 8 .. the more I'm digg'n it. It was frustrating at first just trying to navigate around ..close programs ..turning it off ..etc ..

But now that I got the "hot corners" figured out .. I like it.

Started out despising Win8 because of Metro but loving under the hood performance improvements. Got a start menu replacement (StartIsBack) which was nice, but then after a few days got rid of it to see if I could use Metro as nothing more than a dumb launcher and keep an open mind about using Metro more, so organized & grouped my tiles, etc. Now a few weeks later I'm not really using it at all despite making efforts, even as a dumb launcher it slows down my workflow, and I find myself subconsciously keeping programs open rather than flip to Metro to re-launch, or just pinning apps to taskbar. Nor have I found even a single compelling Metro app to keep me in Metro mode for more than a second -- and I've looked around extensively in the store and downloaded-tested-uninstalled quite a few.

Until either the escape key, backspace key or backbutton on my mouse work in Metro like they do in all other windows apps IE, explorer, etc and let me exit Metro apps back to the start screen, my Metro usage will only decrease to zero over time. Won't play the game of mouse trying to cope tablet-optimized gestures, ie click&drag from top of screen to bottom to close an app, requires too much mouse travel, I end up off the pad, and I'm not going to adjust mouse sensitivity just to cater to Metro - its already tuned perfectly for desktop. I know there's a hack someone wrote to reduce the threshold of the movement required to close a metro app but Im over it. The O/S should work for me, I shouldn't be working for the O/S.

Oh well, it is what it is - and to the person that said he hopes Microsoft eventually gives PC users a way to disable Metro - Never. Going. To happen. Understand Windows 8 is an operating system bolted onto an app store, not the other way around. That's by design. PC's forced into this paradigm are simply a casualty of the tablet era. MS is betting it all on black that their bread and butter will come from people spending $1.99, $2.99, 4.99 to run shitty smartphone apps, question is are they delusional enough to think a lot of PC users will be among those buyers.

MS forces Metro on PC with no disable ability like during the beta, under the belief that otherwise people will just disable and never give it another look meaning never buying apps. The irony is I won't spend a dime on the app store nor download adware apps simply *because* a gun has been placed to my head; had they softened their approach on PC and made it optional - meaning a choice to disable or uninstall Metro to prevent it from loading and sitting in memory, I would've felt differently. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Last edited:
Win8 works well for it's optimal use - that is only Steam and Origin clients installed with their contents. Do anything more and it starts to get cluttered and cumbersome.

How does it get cumbersome to have more than two icons? I have 30 and it's a breeze.

How does it get cumbersome to have more than two icons? I have 30 and it's a breeze.

It gets just way too cluttered to be useful anymore. You end up having to scroll the screen and browse through every app just to find something. It's totally disorganized and clumsy. The old style of hierarchial handling in start menu was 10x better. Vista / 7 were already much clumsier to use than W98/XP and it only got worse.

Then there's all these stupidities like how from modern UI start screen you can't find control panel without enabling 50 extra icons. You need to switch to desktop, then the side menu has control panel lol. It's a totally scitzo user experience.

Removing the start menu was such an artificial move. They could easily have kept the old start menu once you entered the desktop - and users would have been much happier. It wouldn't have even affected tablet users as they'd still have the clunky zigsaw interface.

Like I said earlier, Windows 8 with Start 8, it is 4.99 dollars come on, no big deal, esp. since Windows 8 pro cost jackass right now. - My Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit was wayyy more expansive. - I really really like it. It runs good and stable and yes for all of you saying we should have the option to chose a start menu, I totally agree.

The problem for me is, when Microsoft decides later to give us the option will the 4.99 Dollars be lost? - Not that I die or anything, but it would be annoying.

Well we will see in the future.

Right-click the bottom left corner gets you to the Control Panel and much more power user options from the desktop, Start Screen, or any Metro app.

Scrolling through the Start Screen is a breeze with a wheeled mouse. Flick of the wheel, and click. The icons are large and hard to miss. The pictures are large, and it's easy to tell what program is what just based on color and shape alone, before your mind even starts registering what the icon is. It's designed for the user to organize how they want, and does not have a default organization system besides just tacking the new program to the end of the Start Screen, which is exactly like Android and iOS. I take it you hate the UI of these systems as well?

Right-click the bottom left corner gets you to the Control Panel and much more power user options from the desktop, Start Screen, or any Metro app.

Scrolling through the Start Screen is a breeze with a wheeled mouse. Flick of the wheel, and click. The icons are large and hard to miss. The pictures are large, and it's easy to tell what program is what just based on color and shape alone, before your mind even starts registering what the icon is. It's designed for the user to organize how they want, and does not have a default organization system besides just tacking the new program to the end of the Start Screen, which is exactly like Android and iOS. I take it you hate the UI of these systems as well?

Right, because an undocumented power user hidden menu is going to be known by every user.

The icons in the Start screen are the same old crap used for desktop apps for ages. It doesn't have a default organization because MS was too lazy to do it, like the old start menu.

Windows is NOT a mobile os like Android/iOS, so what relevance does that have? Not unless you treat a desktop like a phone, which is apparently what MS thinks too. Your comparison is totally flawed, the last time I checked my phone/tablet didn't have a 2 26" monitors.

Or maybe you can tell me if we should have the same UI, why WP8 doesn't have the wonderful charms bar. Could it be because it makes no sense on a phone, just like all the mobile elements make no sense on a desktop?

Yep I would really hate to use Android or iOS on a desktop computer. On a 4" screen it's a necessary evil to have a dumbed down interface.

So now right clicking the left corner opens control panel where on desktop view hovering on right corner does the same? Sounds consistent and logical.. NOT!

Win8 lacks intuitivety completely.

Right, because an undocumented power user hidden menu is going to be known by every user.

The icons in the Start screen are the same old crap used for desktop apps for ages. It doesn't have a default organization because MS was too lazy to do it, like the old start menu.

Windows is NOT a mobile os like Android/iOS, so what relevance does that have? Not unless you treat a desktop like a phone, which is apparently what MS thinks too. Your comparison is totally flawed, the last time I checked my phone/tablet didn't have a 2 26" monitors.

Or maybe you can tell me if we should have the same UI, why WP8 doesn't have the wonderful charms bar. Could it be because it makes no sense on a phone, just like all the mobile elements make no sense on a desktop?

There is default organization is you want it. The Start Screen is like the pinned items list in the start menu, it takes the same number of clicks to get to and launch an app, only it holds more items. The "All Apps" screen is like the organized folders of the start menu, it takes the same number of clicks to get to and launch an app, it's potential better in some situations since there are no imbedded folders, which makes looking for a program the user installed much easier and allows potentially fewer clicks. And what does WP8 not having charms bar have to do with anything? If it did have it, would you then agree it's a good design for the desktop? None of these arguments you make, make any sense.

Yep I would really hate to use Android or iOS on a desktop computer. On a 4" screen it's a necessary evil to have a dumbed down interface.

So now right clicking the left corner opens control panel where on desktop view hovering on right corner does the same? Sounds consistent and logical.. NOT!

Win8 lacks intuitivety completely.

Because everyone agrees on what's logical and consistent, of course. "NOT!" Your arguments lack any kind of perspective, and are most uninsightful.

Because everyone agrees on what's logical and consistent, of course. "NOT!" Your arguments lack any kind of perspective, and are most uninsightful.

Do you know the definition of the word consistency? I'll give you a hint: It's pretty much the opposite of having a same function menu in the opposite corners of the screen depending on the case.

You're awfully keen to discredit my views as a person instead of providing actual counterarguments. To me that tells that you are unable to do so and mask the problem into personal attacks :D

If a power user doesn't know enough to go online and read tips and tricks, I'm not sure they qualify as power users.

Icons are the same because that is what the program decided the icon is, not Microsoft. Not sure what your point is?

My desktop has three 23 inch monitors. As I recall, the Start Menu can only open on the primary monitor, while the start screen can open on any. I find this to be much better for my usage patterns.

Don't like the pinned shortcuts and lack of organization?? Remove all of them and simply use the All Apps screen. Organized the same exact way as the Start menu.

Power menu in Charms bar is annoying, that is one thing I really dislike. But for other purposes, I don't use the Charms bar at all. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it (with the exception of the power menu).

Do you know the definition of the word consistency? I'll give you a hint: It's pretty much the opposite of having a same function menu in the opposite corners of the screen depending on the case.

You're awfully keen to discredit my views as a person instead of providing actual counterarguments. To me that tells that you are unable to do so and mask the problem into personal attacks :D

Is that what the dictionary says, that consistency is not having two menus that take you to the same place on two sides of the screen? Actually, that seems quite the opposite to me, if where-ever you go, you see the same thing, I would call that 'consistency'. I try to take you serious, but when it's page after page, in thread after thread, of you inventing issues, being obnoxiously and unjustifiably definitive about any and every thing, and generally avoiding intelligent debate to take shots at your targets (windows, me, etc.) it's really hard. I will put extra effort into it, just for you, though. Seems to be a game of "Windows 8 sucks because it does X" then I or another demonstrates it does not do X, then you say "Windows 8 sucks because it does not do X". I dunno, but right now I expect you to tell me that the consistency, that you said was not consistency, is a bad thing.

Is that what the dictionary says, that consistency is not having two menus that take you to the same place on two sides of the screen? Actually, that seems quite the opposite to me, if where-ever you go, you see the same thing, I would call that 'consistency'.

Yes so you agree that when the same menu appears in some cases on left lower corner and some cases right lower corner such as the case is with W8, thats by definition inconsistent.

Glad we could reach a mutual conclusion here.

Yes so you agree that when the same menu appears in some cases on left lower corner and some cases right lower corner such as the case is with W8, thats by definition inconsistent.

Glad we could reach a mutual conclusion here.

Read again, because that is the opposite of what I said. Have fun pretending to be definitive when you can not read. To re-iterate, if you leave your house and go left, and run across a black cat, then the next day leave your house and go right and run across a black cat, that is actually 'consistency' not 'inconsistency' as you say. Now maybe this interface doesn't rock your world because of whatever arbitrary reason, but having a menu on two sides of a screen is certainly consistent. Eagerly awaiting your "see, it's obviously inconsistent and is thus the world's worse OS!" contentless contra-assertion and faux definitive conclusion.

Last edited:
Read again, because that is the opposite of what I said. Have fun pretending to be definitive when you can not read. To re-iterate, if you leave your house and go left, and run across a black cat, then the next day leave your house and go right and run across a black cat, that is actually 'consistency' not 'inconsistency' as you say. Now maybe this interface doesn't rock your world because of whatever arbitrary reason, but having a menu on two sides of a screen is certainly consistent. Eagerly awaiting your "see, it's obviously inconsistent and is thus the world's worse OS!" contentless contra-assertion and faux definitive conclusion.

It seems it's useless to explain to you but I'll give a last final try:

Try to hover on the lower right corner in the Aero screen, choose settings - you get control panel as one option.

Try to hover on the lower right corner in the Metro screen, choose settings - you don't get control panel.

This is inconsistency.

Try to hover on the lower right corner in the Aero screen, choose settings - you get control panel as one option.

Try to hover on the lower right corner in the Metro screen, choose settings - you don't get control panel.

This is inconsistency.

This is what you said:

That's barely intelligible, but it seemed to correlate with getting to control panel through charms and getting to control panel through the power menu as inconsistent. As you've said English is not your first language, and you almost certainly speak English better than I speak whatever your language is, I'll chalk it off to a minor misunderstanding and move on.

It seems inconsistent to get to control panel through charms on the desktop, but not on the start screen, because you lack a general understanding of why things are done. It makes perfect sense that on the desktop you'd be more interested in control panel, and in metro you'd be more interested in metro things. I fail to see what is achieved by making the charms bar "consistent", it's arbitrary and similar to saying the start menu in Win 7 is inconsistent because when you press "All Programs" control panel does not show up there, but it showed up before. With minor intelligent training of your brain, you can understand how things change in this way, to fit the context of their current use. Now if the control panel option showed up on Tuesdays, but not Wednesdays, *that* would be 'inconsistent'. Also there is this general sense that you are arguing just to argue, because if MS released a patch next week that added 'control panel' to the charms bar in the metro screen, it wouldn't change your view of Windows 8 one bit, I would say if you can't argue about something that actually makes a difference, you don't have any arguments at all.

Last edited:

This is inconsistency.

Are you on something or are you just being disagreeable because you can? I just tried that and the control panel and change your pc settings are both there everytime. (Either that or there is a problem on your computer.)

Are you on something or are you just being disagreeable because you can? I just tried that and the control panel and change your pc settings are both there everytime. (Either that or there is a problem on your computer.)

Wait a minute. You have control panel in the charms bar, when on the start screen? Because I do not..

Wait a minute. You have control panel in the charms bar, when on the start screen? Because I do not..

I am also running dual monitors so that might be why. (I am not sure though.) That's weird, I know it did but I just tried it again and now it does not. Oh well, I still think BOOnie is still just being argumentative just because but, at least it makes for an interesting thread.

This is what you said:

That's barely intelligible, but it seemed to correlate with getting to control panel through charms and getting to control panel through the power menu as inconsistent.

You're right - at first I thought the right click on the left corner was accessible only on metro where other was true on Aero but after testing it I found it works the same on both.

The inconsistent part was the charms bar which was the only place I could intuitively find the controls.

I am also running dual monitors so that might be why. (I am not sure though.) That's weird, I know it did but I just tried it again and now it does not. Oh well, I still think BOOnie is still just being argumentative just because but, at least it makes for an interesting thread.

Anyone running extended desktop on two displays hates the charm bar with a passion. Fortunately we have Classic Shell.

Anyone running extended desktop on two displays hates the charm bar with a passion. Fortunately we have Classic Shell.

No, you hate it but I do not so no, not everyone or even close to everyone. The charms bar shows up on both screens as well as the start button without issues. Fortunately, we have the Windows 8 Start screen.

Running 3 23 in 1080p monitors, I don't hate it, I just hate where the power menu is. Don't force your opinions on others as fact.

Running 3 23 in 1080p monitors, I don't hate it, I just hate where the power menu is. Don't force your opinions on others as fact.

Don't you guys find it extremely frustrating trying to hover your mouse in just the right place to get the charm to appear? Half the time my charm won't appear or seems to delay. I find it's so cumbersome to launch the charm that I'd rather just turn it off completely.

Don't you guys find it extremely frustrating trying to hover your mouse in just the right place to get the charm to appear? Half the time my charm won't appear or seems to delay. I find it's so cumbersome to launch the charm that I'd rather just turn it off completely.

Not at all, I just usually swipe from the left, down and up and there it is. (Almost like an backwards L shape.) I do not have to hover at all to get the charms bar or other bar to come up.

I just may remake this thread to poll how many of us are using a start menu replacement.

I'm a heavy keyboard user, so I use following:

Win+C for charm
Win+X for control panel, run and such
Win+F for search
Win+Tab brings up the multi-tasking window on the left side or ALT+TAB for the old one
Win for the new start menu, or Metro start menu FTW!

I believe there is a time adjustment tweak if you find it not to your liking. Might have to search google for it though.

Like I already posted ..I'm digg'n Win8 .. my only complaint is the difference in functionality with the store apps as apposed to the same program launched from the desktop "app" ..

Maybe I just need to play around more .. but the mail app seems a bit nerfed ..the netflix app doesn't have the same search function as launched from a web browser ..

This is inconsistency.

...That's because the upper portion of the 'Settings' menu is App/Context specific. On the metro related screen, it gives you metro related options.

Of course, nobody should really care where the control panel shortcut is, because control panel is an utterly and completely inferior way of changing settings.

I'm a heavy keyboard user, so I use following:

Win+C for charm
Win+X for control panel, run and such
Win+F for search
Win+Tab brings up the multi-tasking window on the left side or ALT+TAB for the old one
Win for the new start menu, or Metro start menu FTW!

And lose for anyone who use Windows in a virtual machine.

Went back to Windows 7 due to various drivers issues.

I realize that I don't miss Windows 8 much at all. It's not much of a necessity.

Back