How many % of today's PC can be windows 12 ready? And why is Windows 10 lifespan shorter than prev. version?

Microsoft would never make that claim until it's a few wk. before it's ready. You know that. The google search engine put it at June

https://pureinfotech.com/windows-12-new-features-changes-release-date/
it wouldnt be a "claim" coming from ms.
"This guide highlights the new features and changes that (I think) may roll out as part of Windows 12."
also: "it will likely continue to be called “Windows 11."
and, 10 was 8 years old, others have been replaced much sooner....
stop buying into click bait.

Stop acting like you can somehow make factual statments based on click-bait articles full of rumors. Even the one article that you linked says right up front that it will probably still be called Windows 11 - But their goal was already achieved, since they already got their ad revenue due to you clicking on that article thinking it was about Windows 12. This is why click-bait articles like that exist. They attract a bunch of suckers who don't know any better, or even worse, spread their click-bait articles around for them like you did here.

Microsoft would never make that claim until it's a few wk. before it's ready. You know that.

You obviously don't have the slightest clue how the Windows development cycle works. You think that they keep all of this hidden and that they would just spring a whole new version on us "a few weeks before it's ready"?

Here's how it works in real life:

There are multiple insider channels that correspond with future windows development:

-Release Preview: Very close to an official build, the last step before it's released.
-Beta: A little further out, but still very stable builds. This would probably be the farthest you'd want to go if you were actually using it on your daily system.
-Dev: More rough around the edges. Might have new features that still have known issues, and you might encounter stability issues in general.
-Canary: The most experimental insider channel. Includes features that are still early in the development cycle. High chance of encountering bugs and/or instability. Some features that are being tested in Canary builds might never make it to later channels.

Any new version (regardless of whatever final marketing name gets painted on it), would first show up in the Canary channel, probably at least 6 months prior. Then it would make it's way to the Dev channel. Once things start to get pretty mature, it would come out in the Beta channel. Prior to release we would see it show up in the Release Preview channel. Then finally, it would be released.

So, suffice it to say, nothing is going to jump out at us and surprise us all. If you want to see for yourself what the future of Windows potentially looks like, then just keep track of the Canary and Dev builds.

I still have my test PC, a single-core 64-bit Pentium 4, that I use purely for the purpose of testing if/when Microsoft is going to get more stingy about Installing new versions of Windows on older hardware. The fact that I can still run the latest Canary build on an ancient Pentium 4 (using a requirements bypass obviously) makes me pretty optimistic.

and w/ prev. version of windows, such as XP or Windows 7, their product cycle is about 10 yr., how come windows 10/11 is quite a bit shorter?

Windows 10 was released on July 29th 2015. It will reach End of Support on October 14th, 2025. Maybe my math is off but that seems like about 10 years to me. Obviously we don't know when Windows 11 will reach end of support, since they have not announced that yet. It's entirely possible that it will see a full 10 years also.

I'm not sure what exactly you think is getting shorter.

In terms of when new versions are released, Windows Vista was released about 6 years after Windows XP. That's about the same amount of time that Windows 11 was released after Windows 10. 6 years is actually pretty long, historically speaking. Three years after Vista we got Windows 7, three years later we got Windows 8, and three years later we got Windows 10. This year, Windows 11 will be three years old.

Last edited:
1) since we are at Canary stage, how on earth are they going to release it in Sept / Oct., as per the actual announcement of Microsoft?
2) Windows 11 support date end at the exact same date as windows 10
3) I never heard of Canary, I thought there is only Alpha and Beta
4) how can Pentium 4 run anything? wouldn't it be extremely slow? not to mention there is no way there is enough memory?

That's just for version 21H2 of Windows 11 - the original one according to Wikipedia. They're saying, "We won't support this version because you haven't updated it to the latest build."

If you're on 22H2 (the 2022 update) then you're good for around one more year. If you're on 23H2, you're golden for at least two more. And so on.

1) since we are at Canary stage, how on earth are they going to release it in Sept / Oct., as per the actual announcement of Microsoft?

There has been no "actual announcement of Microsoft". Allow me to repeat, as of this moment, Microsoft has NOT announced Windows 12. If you have factual information (aka not rumors, click-bait articles, or random search results) that says otherwise, by all means post it here.

Incorrect. Each Windows 11 feature update has a 2-year support cycle. Windows 11 21H2 support ended on October 10th, 2023. Windows 11 22H2 will hit End of Support on October 8th 2024, and 23H2 will hit End of Support on November 11th 2025. But by then a new feature update will be out (24H2 presumably).

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-11-home-and-pro

3) I never heard of Canary, I thought there is only Alpha and Beta

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/

4) how can Pentium 4 run anything? wouldn't it be extremely slow? not to mention there is no way there is enough memory?

When you use a requirements bypass to install Windows 11, at that point it essentially has the same system requirements as Windows 10. It will run on pretty much any x86-64 CPU. Drivers are a non issue since in most cases even drivers going all the way back to Windows Vista are still compatible with Windows 11. Yes, the system is slow. The system is not intended to actually be used, nor would I recommend anyone actually use a system that old in any situation where they actually have a choice. The system is a test system that only has one purpose in life. I purposefully selected it as essentially the oldest hardware I could get Windows 11 running on, so that if/when Microsoft makes changes that affect Windows 11's ability to run on older hardware, that system should be among the first to be affected. I have a lot of older hardware running Windows 11, and plan to continue using most of those systems for quite some time, so this is something I actively keep track of.

Although it's slow on the Pentium 4 test system, other systems such as Core2 Quad based systems, as well as early generation Core i5 and i7 systems are better examples of old hardware that can run Windows 11 and actually be quite snappy for typical office tasks like browsing the web, checking email, using Microsoft Word & Excel, etc, so long as they have enough RAM and an SSD.

Last edited:
2 things:

1) the annoncement of windows 12 is by all the leading websites that all of you have been quoting on many other IT subject matters in the past few decades, by the very people in this thread for that matter. This is not some vast conspiracy like what you saw in the X-files. Since there are so many leading IT websites saying it, they must have got the sources from some canon source

Tom's Hardware for e.g., is still saying Jun 2024.

https://www.tomshardware.com/softwa...ne-2024-according-to-taiwans-commercial-times

https://www.techradar.com/computing...y-christmas-gift-for-struggling-laptop-makers

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-12-faq-yes-its-coming-in-2024-and-more-surprising-predictions/

https://www.pcmag.com/news/what-to-expect-in-windows-12-leaks-rumors-and-more

2) https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-11-home-and-pro

windows 11 ends a mth. after win 10 in Nov. 2025, so I was off by a mth. Since when is there a new feature called 24H2 after that? To quote from you, "If you have factual information (aka not rumors, click-bait articles, or random search results) that says otherwise, by all means post it here."

"Though the Commercial Times report leads with its statement about Windows 12 and the purported June release date, no direct quotes from industry leaders are given in support."

Just links the same Tomshardware article.

lol... Article starts with:

"Microsoft isn't talking, but I've collected rumors, speculation, and wild-ass guesses about the next version of Windows in this FAQ to help you get ready."

"leaks, rumors, and other indicators strongly suggest"

2) https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-11-home-and-pro

windows 11 ends a mth. after win 10 in Nov. 2025, so I was off by a mth.

No, support for 23H2 ends in November 2025.

Since when is there a new feature called 24H2 after that? To quote from you, "If you have factual information (aka not rumors, click-bait articles, or random search results) that says otherwise, by all means post it here."

Microsoft's annual release schedule is not exactly news:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/release-cycle
Microsoft said:
Annual feature updates are released in the second half of the calendar year. These updates are typically cumulative and include all previously released fixes. They also include new features and enhancements. The annual feature update marks the start of the support lifecycle:

24 months of support for Home and Pro editions of Windows
36 months of support for Enterprise and Education editions

I said that it might "presumably" be called 24H2. No, I don't know for sure what it will be called. But given the annual release schedule, and what the past several versions have been called, it would be the logical name. I know that Windows 11 won't "end" on November 2025, because that would mean that 23H2 (the current version) would be the last version. The waves of new features on the way in the current Beta, Dev, and Canary builds make it pretty obvious that 23H2 is not the last version. Microsoft also has no reason to set an end date for their latest operating system before it's successor is released and people have had a chance to upgrade.

I want to be clear that it's absolutely possible that "Windows 12" could come out this year. What we're currently seeing in builds on the Canary channel might end up being the basis for "Windows 12" (even though everything is still labeled Windows 11 right now). If that is the case, then the answer to your original question (thread title) would appear to be that anything that can run Windows 11 should be able to run "Windows 12". There is nothing further out than the Canary channel, so if that's not it, then it's going to be a while. That's all we really know until Microsoft actually makes an announcement.

But there are many other links if you bother search under windows 12 release date. Those other links are liable sources in our industry that you & I have been quoting. They must have heard something from microsoft employees / programmers as to the ETA, otherwise, there is no way so many website, all saying the same thing

But there are many other links if you bother search under windows 12 release date. Those other links are liable sources in our industry that you & I have been quoting. They must have heard something from microsoft employees / programmers as to the ETA, otherwise, there is no way so many website, all saying the same thing
they are each others sources, quoting each other around in circles. stop falling for it. and no, "we" arent quoting the same things. notice how GNR's source is ms.....

You've basically given a perfect example of how misinformation can spread so quickly, especially on the internet. Get enough people to repeat the same rumor and all of a sudden people start to assume "with so many people saying the same thing, it must be true!" despite not having any actual proof or evidence. Combine that with advertising being the primary source of revenue for most of these sites, where catchy headlines that generate clicks are more important than facts, and this is what you get. Every single article that you linked, once you read past the headline, basically makes it clear that they don't have any actual evidence to back up their claims, just gossip. The fact that some of the authors made vague claims about that gossip coming from "reliable sources" doesn't change anything. Of course they want you to believe that their "sources" are "reliable". Not one article provided an actual direct quote from anyone about "Windows 12".

The threshold of what you consider "proof" is so low that you have now repeatedly made the claim that simply doing a google search constitutes some kind of "proof". That just makes me sad really, for the future of society in general.

Look at all the search results from people who believe the earth is flat. It must be true.

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+earth+is+flat

OMG drop it already!

Do you not read ANY of the links you post or you just a bloody headline warrior? Bet you 99.9999% of all those articles, all link back to the same other fake articles with false claims or pure speculation....Do you know why they do this? TO INCREASE CLICKS TO THE SITE! if everyone else is posting about it, you jump on the bandwagon to get some free traffic for reporting absolutely nothing!

okay, assuming they are doing circular quote of ea. other, so it's like CBS quoting NBC, NBC said CNN said this, and in the end, they are all wrong. Then let me be clear: these websites such as Tomshardware, people, ALL OF YOU have quoted them or use their links in the past decade in this hardforum at 1 time or the other. So write them a letter. I don't audit them.

I assume they know what they are doing, that they are independent , and that they are doing their job.

okay, assuming they are doing circular quote of ea. other, so it's like CBS quoting NBC, NBC said CNN said this, and in the end, they are all wrong. Then let me be clear: these websites such as Tomshardware, people, ALL OF YOU have quoted them or use their links in the past decade in this hardforum at 1 time or the other. So write them a letter. I don't audit them.

I assume they know what they are doing, that they are independent , and that they are doing their job.
Tom's hardware hasn't been relevant for probably a decade. He sold it I believe and is ran by a soulless company now.

Then let me be clear: these websites such as Tomshardware, people, ALL OF YOU have quoted them or use their links in the past decade in this hardforum at 1 time or the other. So write them a letter. I don't audit them.

So now your argument has shifted to saying that we should trust articles just based on headlines without actually reading them? I wouldn't do that, even if the articles came from a trusted source. And it's not as if those sites are lying, they aren't. Every single one of them straight-up admitted that they have no actual proof or evidence, once you actually read the article...

The problem isn't the sites necessarily. They are merely a product of how the internet works these days, unfortunately. The problem is you taking an article at face value based on nothing more than headlines and rumors. If even a single one of those sites had provided any actual factual evidence, then this thread would have gone in quite a different direction.

I don't think that many here are necessarily opposed to the idea of there being a "Windows 12", we just prefer facts over rumors and speculation.

Windows 10 was released in 2015, it is now 2024 9 years later still not EOL until 2025 a full 10 years of active service, given the vast amount of hardware that is not win 11 capable that might be extended...

Windows 11 was released in 2021 two years ago

Windows 8 was released in 2012 EOL was 2016 8.1 was EOL 2023 so 11 years.

Windows 7 was released in 2009 EOL in 2014 5 years later

Windows Vista was released in 2007 EOL in 2017

Windows XP released 2001 EOL 2014

Windows ME lasted 6 years

Windows 2000 lasted 10 years

Windows NT 4.0 lasted 8 years

Windows 95 lasted 6 years

Windows 3.x lasted 11 years

so that makes OP assertion false about windows getting shorter life spans.

The only thing that any of the sites you linked exist for, is to make money. Sensational, fact-less articles to generate clicks and discussion for more clicks is their only goal.

we never claimed "You can never trust Tomshardware so ignore everything they say" So again, you are being extreme so you can still try to be right, you are not.

This is very very very simple.

1. You made a claim..
2. Your claim was debunked and proven why....
3. You continued to make the claim claiming facts, when nothing of the such exists and are just "rumor and speculation" , as NOTED by the actual sites them selves , but you are claiming as facts, and these rumours, trump Microsoft's release cycle used for a very very long time...

This is why critical thinking in life is important, If i wrote an article on a website that claimed Windows is moving to a linux kernel, and some media outlet jumped on the story (because they will to get clicks and attention and seldom fact check anything these days) and said "rumor has it, Microsoft is moving to a pure linux kernel" would you come and post that and claim it as facts? (Based on the above, you would)

What critical thinking does, is let you analyze the claim, then begin to research to see if you can find the claims, and validate, against the actual company the article claims is doing such a thing.. and if you can NOT validate the "claims or rumors" from the actual vendor - Do not 110% believe it and tout it as fact....Or, easier, just read the actual articles to see them saying "rumor has it from this site....." "Speculation has been made of..." BAM! not FACTS at all!

Tom's and all the other sites have posted many claims and speculation, but also many people who link to those articles, do not claim the posts as facts either...

Anything that can run Windows 11 will run Windows 12. The cut off was because of that stupid TPM nonsense.

Anything that can run Windows 11 will run Windows 12. The cut off was because of that stupid TPM nonsense.
yup, which is easy to get around and also isnt implemented in certain versions. i can install my works edu copy on anything that meets the min reqs, no tpm needed.

yup, which is easy to get around and also isnt implemented in certain versions. i can install my works edu copy on anything that meets the min reqs, no tpm needed.
Yes, it's not hard if you're aware of it. I have it installed on older hardware. I also have modified/new versions of macOS I put on friend's and family's Macs and the old hardware (some as far back as 2010) work perfectly fine. There's literally no reason for the arbitrary obsoletion of hardware except for greed. It's irritating.

Yes, it's not hard if you're aware of it. I have it installed on older hardware. I also have modified/new versions of macOS I put on friend's and family's Macs and the old hardware (some as far back as 2010) work perfectly fine. There's literally no reason for the arbitrary obsoletion of hardware except for greed. It's irritating.
I have a mid-2010 Mac Pro that is still in perfect condition but can’t run the new versions of macOS because it’s missing a Metal-compatible graphics card. If it were my personal machine I’d purchase a 480 or such AMD card and be golden (until Apple removes all Intel support from macOS) but since it’s not a personal machine but a decommissioned work machine, it will remain on the old macOS.

but what you people say, is NOT what these sources are saying. Now, I don't know Tom's hardware, it's just a popular IT website, so let's ditch Tom's hardware. Have a look at PC magazine:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/what-to-expect-in-windows-12-leaks-rumors-and-more

When Is Windows 12 Coming Out?​

The first inkling that Windows 12 might be coming sooner than expected happened when Microsoft reportedly started implementing a new update cadence for Windows, with major versions released every three years. That puts a Windows 12 release in 2024.

The Main Source of Windows 12 Leaks​

Most of the details about what’s presumed to be known about Windows 12 comes from a single source: Windows Central’s Zac Bowden, who has a decent track record when it comes to Windows predictions.

https://www.techadvisor.com/article/745965/will-there-be-a-windows-12.html

now read up on Tech Advisor, they break down on their analysis as to Why Windows 12 is coming out

With Windows 11 released in 2021, that suggests we’ll see Windows 12 at some point in 2024.

and then there is PC World:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/811274/windows-12-2024-microsoft-windows-11-features.html

so I do agree w/ you people that they are doing circular quoting, but these are large co., they won't just do circular quoting WITHOUT stood their neck out. They still have to stand behind their own article, because it's post on their website.

for e.g., the day Kobe Bryant dies, I so happen to be doing my workout early in the morning, at 10 am EST, CNN.com air the article, and at the front page, they said "We have confirmed w/ multiple sources that Kobe Bryant's helicopter did crash ......" So they ARE quoting some sources saying it, but they still POST the article. These co. cannot go back and said things like "look I am just quoting a rumor from that source.....". Because they print the article. Once they print it on their website, they eat it.

If co. like PC magazine thinks their sources are not creditable , you think they would stood their neck out and post it?

All those links state things like "might" "should" "presumed" "may", this isnt any confirmation these are just theories.

Your Kobe example used the word "confirmed" and "did". Reading statements entirely instead of glancing is very important otherwise you cause yourself to become misled.

you people
raw.gif

so I do agree w/ you people that they are doing circular quoting, but these are large co., they won't just do circular quoting WITHOUT stood their neck out. They still have to stand behind their own article, because it's post on their website.

If co. like PC magazine thinks their sources are not creditable , you think they would stood their neck out and post it?
Those "large companies" are wrong all the time. They don't have to ever be right, they just want to generate clicks for revenue. Here's PC Mag's starting sentence:
Let’s be clear from the start: Microsoft hasn’t officially commented on whether it's developing Windows 12. But credible leaks, rumors, and other indicators strongly suggest we'll get a Windows 12 in 2024
Notice how they just generically say "credible leaks, rumors" with no names or links to other articles? Stop being so gullible and wait for the company themselves to make the announcement. Company of course being Microsoft.

Click here for accurate stories and rumors.

I suspect Microsoft will extend free security support onto 10 like they did XP. They of course won't make this announcement until the last minute because they want people that can switch to 11 to do so.

I also think they will keep the support for 11 going via feature updates well after 12 comes out. I suspect 12 will be it's own OS type, i.e. you will choose either 11 or 12, not just move to 12 like you would any other OS update.

I suspect Microsoft will extend free security support onto 10 like they did XP. They of course won't make this announcement until the last minute because they want people that can switch to 11 to do so.

I also think they will keep the support for 11 going via feature updates well after 12 comes out. I suspect 12 will be it's own OS type, i.e. you will choose either 11 or 12, not just move to 12 like you would any other OS update.
they will. half our school PCs are still on w10, so are many businesses and corps, they cant drop it.

Last edited:
they will. half our scchool PCs are still on w10, so are many businesses and corps, they cant drop it.
They could force it though on Home editions, and leave out Edu SKU's and Ent. or ya, just do side deals with companies that have thousands of systems....

For the computers that I have at work with 10 I'm not worried since everything is LTSC, I'm more concerned with 10 on Home/Business devices. I am working on a laptop now actually that does not support 11. I had to let the business know they are going to have to replace it in less than 2 years because of this. Perfectly good machine just toss in the ewaste.

The 26000 branch that has been on the Canary channel for a while has been promoted to the Dev channel and now has "24H2" branding. Windows Server 2025 Insider Builds are now being released also, with identical build numbers to the latest Windows 11 Dev/Canary builds (26000 branch).

Since Windows 12 is coming out in June 2024 (that's THIS year), how many % of today's motherboard can be windows 12 ready?

if it's going to come out in June then MS needs to officially announce it by March...still possible but it's looking less and less likely...latest rumors say it's just going to be a new W11 update

Back