How Many New Quad Cores for Christmas?

SpoogeMonkey

2[H]4U
I was just curious as to how many folks around here got new q6600's under the tree last week? I was hoping to get one for myself, but my sons xbox360 elite quickly put an end to that idea :D.

With our team ppd averaging ~940,000 / ppd, it would only take about 20 new oc'd quads to break the million ppd mark......only 5.4M behind the default team :cool:

Sandy Claws did good for me this year; I get to add a quad. I already had all the rest of the parts which worked out well.

Should have it on line sometime this week, hopefully;)

I got a quad core, but.. about a week before christmas.. does that count?:D

Nope... no quad here... and I didn't even get the PSU I need to finish up my next boxen:mad:

The kids had to come first this year, and things are a bit lean around here right now.... but I should have this machine folding soon... I hope.

No new quad for me. I do have enough cash to buy one, though. I'm thinking about doing it, but to do so would mean I would have to pull out the E6400 and leave it sit doing nothing. I just don't like the idea of that. I might be able to get a decent mobo that overclocks well and drop the E6400 in there but that would mean I would have to take out my X2@3Ghz. Considering that is more powerful than the remaining three systems I have put together (and I just got it not too long ago) I would hate to have that not running.

Too bad I didn't get another $200 for Christmas. That way I could probably buy a new mobo to go with the quad, 4 gig of RAM, a new case and a new PSU and possibly a new SATA hard drive. However, that didn't happen so I'm a bit stuck on what I should do.

If the quad core Penryns were actually going to be out soon, it would be an easy decision to wait. Even if they were a bit too expensive for my taste, it would drop the prices of the Q6600 which would be a win for me.

I have a feeling my best bet would be to just wait another two months and see what I can do then if I'm able to save the money for that long.

I was just curious as to how many folks around here got new q6600's under the tree last week? I was hoping to get one for myself, but my sons xbox360 elite quickly put an end to that idea :D.

With our team ppd averaging ~940,000 / ppd, it would only take about 20 new oc'd quads to break the million ppd mark......only 5.4M behind the default team :cool:
How well does that xbox fold?
/edit - my PS3 is good for 900ppd

I just realized that I only have one more spot on my second router to hook up another boxen. Guess it will be time to break out the old 5 port 10baseT switch soon. That shouldn't be a problem as long as the boxen connected to the switch do nothing but fold. I'll just have to keep the systems that I use at network share space on the 10/100 routers until I can afford a decent sized gigabit switch.

Ah, the problems that I run into as one who folds.

I got myself the money needed for a quad....will be ordering when I go home on Tuesday

No Quads for me :(

I will probably have a bunch of my work q6600's taken from me when I get back from holiday break as well :( :(

Still planning for the quad, and now I even have a "good reason." While using Windows Media Server (in Media Player 11) to stream MP3s and JPGs to my new PS3 hooked to the entertainment system, I noticed that the Media Server consumed lots of cpu cycles on my old 2600+. The good news is that it told me I need more cores!

Fold on!

After a long while of being relatively inactive folding (had to take my home boxen down due to rising power costs/needing to sell off computers to pay for college), and most of the computers at work being unable to run fah, I have an octocore server on the way that won't be officially commissioned until about 6 months from now. So I will be doing a 6 month burn-in of the new server.

How I love budgeted money that's hidden from me until just before the new year. :rolleyes:

Back