How many games utilize DirectX 9.0c (Shader Model 3) right now?

rsnellma

Gawd
I was thinking of purchasing an ATI X8xx series card, but wondered how many games use Shader Model 3 technology, right now. If it is very few, then I would probably go for a X8xx series AGP card to hold me over until I make the PCIe plunge later.

Thanks in advance.

Bob2001

rsnellma said:
I was thinking of purchasing an ATI X8xx series card, but wondered how many games use Shader Model 3 technology, right now. If it is very few, then I would probably go for a X8xx series AGP card to hold me over until I make the PCIe plunge later.

Thanks in advance.

Bob2001
Lots of games use it, but very few require it or have a big difference between SM 2.0 and 3.0 modes. If you only need it for a year or so, it shouldn't become a problem.

most new games use sm3.0, and quite a few now won't even run with an earlier version (ex. battlefield 2). sm2 is sooooo 2003 :)

sum,
so you are saying my ATI 9800 Pro should not be running BF2, even though, it is?

Bob2001

sumofatguy said:
most new games use sm3.0, and quite a few now won't even run with an earlier version (ex. battlefield 2). sm2 is sooooo 2003 :)
you are thinking DX9 in general.

The only game I know of that has a huge difference between SM 3.0 and non-3.0 IQ and speed is the Splinter Cell, and even that doesn't actually require it.

The new Splinter Cell (Double Agent) actually requires SM 3.0 though. First game to do that AFAIK. Also really stupid considering this game is available for original Xbox, in brilliant SM 1.0.

Back