How many 4080/4090 owners plan to upgrade to a respective 50 series when available?

A single 4090 and probably 5090 is nothing in terms of space taken up and power draw compared to 10+ years ago when people were running Quad GTX 480s lol.
Granted... but I didn't do quad SLI not only for reasons of cost, but also space and power.

Me. I have 3x 4090s and will get 3x 5090 when it's released. I was hoping for a 4090 Ti and/or Ada Titan GPU this year but it looks like that's not going to happen. I went from 3090 --> 3090 Ti --> 4090. The 4090 is an absolute monster and GPUs are only going to get better going forward. :)

I somewhat not that confident that someone that even thought let alone did update a 12700k to a 13900k and bought 2x4090 will not buy again in 2025 if Lunar Lake deliver and the 5090 is 70% stronger and most new game cannot run stready at 40fps at 4k on a 4090
I was coming from a 6900K 3070 though. That wasn't good enough for me on 4K as my main or backup rig, so it was time for a major overhaul. Both rigs got the royal treatment. Also for me on 4K resolution 144hz, no other card other than a 4090 makes sense to buy. Once I know what it can do in my library of 100 games I know that I want no less than a 4090. I think the 4090 will age gracefully.

How many 4080/4090 owners plan to upgrade to a respective 50 series when available?​

I'll bet most people who brought RTX 4090 graphics cards went into debt to buy them and will STILL be paying them off when the RTX 5000's come out.

I might if the performance boost is big enough. I haven't been playing games as often lately though. If 42" 4k 240 OLED TV or monitor comes out then that's a definite yes I am getting a 5090.

It's a day 1 purchase for me personally, along with an OLED TV upgrade (LG G4 55"?) and new system build. I think we will see it sometime in the second half of 2024, but I really don't know. Regardless of whether or not it releases, I will likely demote my current primary system in its entirety to a secondary system and replace my LG CX 55" with something newer and brighter in 2024.

We are entering a U.S. election year so my first focus going into the new year is self-sufficiency and emergency preparedness since things have gotten more tense in recent years. I'm really hoping it's a calm and peaceful year though. I'm going to do my best to hold a positive vision for the new year but will be prepared for rougher times just in case.

Day one purchase for me hopefully at or near MSRP and so I can recoup some of the cost by selling the 4090 while it can still fetch good prices in the second-hand market. That and to avoid the price hikes of the latest GPUs that usually comes later whenever some GPU-related craze comes up.

Day one purchase for me hopefully at or near MSRP and so I can recoup some of the cost by selling the 4090 while it can still fetch good prices in the second-hand market. That and to avoid the price hikes of the latest GPUs that usually comes later whenever some GPU-related craze comes up.
Probably want to sell a month before release to get best price.

Probably want to sell a month before release to get best price.

That's usually what I've done. I just rock integrated graphics for a month and stick to very basic games/tasks. The catch is that it does assume that you're able to purchase a new GPU at launch. Sometimes that's easier said than done, although I've managed pretty well so far. Nowinstock.net has been a life saver.

I'm still using a 3080 10GB but I usually do the every other generation upgrade cycle...so the 5000 series will be my next upgrade (unless I get a 4080 Super or 4070 Ti Super)

That's usually what I've done. I just rock integrated graphics for a month and stick to very basic games/tasks. The catch is that it does assume that you're able to purchase a new GPU at launch. Sometimes that's easier said than done, although I've managed pretty well so far. Nowinstock.net has been a life saver.
Selling early is a gamble in this market. Didn't work very well for 2080Ti owners. Not only did they sell themselves WAY short, but many were without a gaming GPU for a lot longer than they anticipated and/or paid a lot more than they thought they would.

Selling early is a gamble in this market. Didn't work very well for 2080Ti owners. Not only did they sell themselves WAY short, but many were without a gaming GPU for a lot longer than they anticipated and/or paid a lot more than they thought they would.
When there's no crypto craze on the horizon like there was with the 30 series release you want to be early rather than late.

I'll bet most people who brought RTX 4090 graphics cards went into debt to buy them and will STILL be paying them off when the RTX 5000's come out.
Not sure about that. At least in this forum, i've noticed most who've purchased a 4090 have a history of buying the latest and greatest each gen. That suggests most have the disposable income not to go into debt.

Not sure about that. At least in this forum, i've noticed most who've purchased a 4090 have a history of buying the latest and greatest each gen. That suggests most have the disposable income not to go into debt.

Going to disagree, plenty go into debt and credit card debt has surged the last few years. They may have to have the best but plenty can't afford it despite what they say. No one is going to brag about how they put themselves into debt they can't afford so they can play games.

Maybe the foolish ones... I happily spent $1749 on my 4090 and never looked back and will continue to keep buying the flagship cards because it is my hobby. If people did it correctly, the hobbies come AFTER all basic needs are met and bills are paid... then 401k/retirement, then the rest is just play money for things my Wife and I enjoy. Gotta live a little and have fun you know.

We are talking about a freaking GPU here, not some luxury car. The monthly payment if you buy a 4090 off Amazon/Bestbuy is like literally $75 a month for 2 years with no interest. You guys make it seem like we are buying an expensive BMW or Mercedes where people are paying half of a 4090 every single month for it.

We are talking about a freaking GPU here, not some luxury car. The monthly payment if you buy a 4090 off Amazon/Bestbuy is like literally $75 a month for 2 years with no interest. You guys make it seem like we are buying an expensive BMW or Mercedes where people are paying half of a 4090 every single month for it.
For some $75/mo is a joke, for others, it would be a disaster. GPU wise, it's exactly like buying a luxury car.

For some $75/mo is a joke, for others, it would be a disaster. GPU wise, it's exactly like buying a luxury car.

It's like buying a luxury...except it isn't. Look if buying a GPU is a financial disaster to you then that's why there are cards like a $300 RX 6700 XT instead. All I'm saying is that a 4090 is relatively affordable compared to ACTUAL luxury items. One could easily make up $75 a month by skipping out on their daily Starbucks every other day.

I have friends that geek out over cars, drones, whiskey, etc. In the grand scheme of hobbies (for adults at least) a GPU is pretty affordable. If your budget doesn't allow for it, that's why they have consoles.

I also think some people underestimate how many people make good amounts of money. While there's lots of people struggling out there, there's also plenty of people who aren't. I mean let's say we assume that in the US you need to be in the top 10% of earners, like $160k/year, to afford a 4090 without taking out a loan. You don't, but let's just say. That still gives you about 12 million households that could afford one.

Realistically you needn't be nearly that high income to afford one, but the point is that more people make more money than many think. For someone making $35k/year a $1600 GPU is ruinously expensive, a luxury they could never realistically afford, but for someone making $100k/year it is a pricey toy that they can afford if they wish.

I mean let's say we assume that in the US you need to be in the top 10% of earners, like $160k/year, to afford a 4090 without taking out a loan. You don't, but let's just say. That still gives you about 12 million households that could afford one.
According to this:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/203183/percentage-distribution-of-household-income-in-the-us/

11.9% of american household had an income above $200k, took $230k to be in the top 10%, 25% of american household were $140k or above. People do indeed underestimate a lot, there a lot of fake news about Americans financial situation.

A 4090 is nothing versus the luxury of paying the insurance on a new car versus an used Hyundai.

According to this:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/203183/percentage-distribution-of-household-income-in-the-us/

11.9% of american household had an income above $200k, took $230k to be in the top 10%, 25% of american household were $140k or above. People do indeed underestimate a lot, there a lot of fake news about Americans financial situation.
It's not fake, so much as it is increasingly becoming bimodal. There are more people struggling in the US every year. For people in the bottom half of income who rent, things are way harder than they were pre-COVID, money is much tighter, and things are not headed in a good direction. However for those in the top half who own their homes, things are doing quite well, particularly for those in the top 20% and up.

It's not fake
Lot of it is fake, for example the way some media talk about the middle class becoming smaller in the US it give the impression that it is because there is more poor people, not because a lot more people got rich:

ft_2022.04.20_middleclass_03.png

Going to disagree, plenty go into debt and credit card debt has surged the last few years. They may have to have the best but plenty can't afford it despite what they say. No one is going to brag about how they put themselves into debt they can't afford so they can play games.
Those going into credit card debt in the last few years aren’t doing it because they’re buying 4090s they’re doing it because the governments insane fiscal policies causing everything to skyrocket in price. Speaking for myself, unless it’s my house or car, if I cannot afford to pay for something as soon as that charge posts to my account, I don’t buy it.

Now I’m sure there are people buying 4090s and making payments on their credit card with 22% interest. I’m not saying they don’t exist. But I don’t think that’s your typical 4090 consumer.

It's like buying a luxury...except it isn't. Look if buying a GPU is a financial disaster to you then that's why there are cards like a $300 RX 6700 XT instead. All I'm saying is that a 4090 is relatively affordable compared to ACTUAL luxury items. One could easily make up $75 a month by skipping out on their daily Starbucks every other day.

Sure if they weren't already thousands in debt as it is. Most people are carrying 10k of credit card debt or more. You are assuming that's the only debt they have and house payments are not exactly tiny amounts of money these days.

Sure if they weren't already thousands in debt as it is. Most people are carrying 10k of credit card debt or more. You are assuming that's the only debt they have and house payments are not exactly tiny amounts of money these days.

Then obviously such people shouldn't be buying these things then. A 4090 isn't cheap, but in the grand scheme of things it also isn't unobtainium expensive either. I just get tired of people acting like only the mega rich 0.01% can afford one.

If true, therefore, a luxury car is an easy buy affordable to anyone, not like buying a yacht, which would be an ACTUAL luxury item.

Then obviously such people shouldn't be buying these things then. A 4090 isn't cheap, but in the grand scheme of things it also isn't unobtainium expensive either. I just get tired of people acting like only the mega rich 0.01% can afford one.

I am simply stating the truth is somewhere in the middle rather then either extreme, they are not cheap and they are not a extreme expense. I think we just all feel they are overpriced for what they are.

I used to watch people bankrupt themselves in the hobby of race cars, you would be surprised how far some people will financially push themselves sometimes, not the norm but it does exist.

It will be interesting to see what prices these new cards will launch at.

I am simply stating the truth is somewhere in the middle rather then either extreme, they are not cheap and they are not a extreme expense. I think we just all feel they are overpriced for what they are.

I used to watch people bankrupt themselves in the hobby of race cars, you would be surprised how far some people will financially push themselves sometimes, not the norm but it does exist.
I don't think anyone denies those folks exist. The polar opposite exists also where insanely wealthy individuals are exceptionally cheap to the point they don't even tip their servers.

It will be interesting to see what prices these new cards will launch at.
My guess (talking the high end) $1800 USD, but you won't be able to touch one for less than $2200 USD. (sigh)

Strangely, rather than AMD being expected to "produce a miracle", perhaps we're going to have overly high expectations for Nvidia's next.

Personally, a 4090 that isn't chonky would be ok.

Personally, a 4090 that isn't chonky would be ok.
I’m surprised we don’t have more slim options already. I have a MSI Gaming X which is on the lower end of coolers out there and it still keeps the GPU cooler than any other card I’ve owned in recent memory. Seems if you want something on the slim side you’re limited to FE or Alienware

I’m surprised we don’t have more slim options already. I have a MSI Gaming X which is on the lower end of coolers out there and it still keeps the GPU cooler than any other card I’ve owned in recent memory. Seems if you want something on the slim side you’re limited to FE or Alienware
AFAIK, you're limited to liquid cooling. I'm talking "size", like not requiring 4 slots, etc. FE qualifies as "fat" to me. If Nvidia could come out with a 4090 clone in the 50 series that was more "efficient" and was a 3 slot, something like that.

Of course, it would still cost $1800+, but, it would be nice to see.

AFAIK, you're limited to liquid cooling. I'm talking "size", like not requiring 4 slots, etc. FE qualifies as "fat" to me. If Nvidia could come out with a 4090 clone in the 50 series that was more "efficient" and was a 3 slot, something like that.

Of course, it would still cost $1800+, but, it would be nice to see.
It'll likely be Quad-slot VRAM-nerfed cutdowned flagship. The price is bang on, I reckon either $1799 (moderate), $1699 (being generous) or $1899/1999 (going all out).

Bought mine with "cash." Every time I buy a new video card, I start saving for the next one. I've bought a new one every generation since the GTX 780.

I might, but to a laptop.
4090m is about 4070Ti desktop, that is 3090 desktop speed.
If 5090m is 4090 desktop performance then I won't need a desktop anymore lol.

I might, but to a laptop.
4090m is about 4070Ti desktop, that is 3090 desktop speed.
If 5090m is 4090 desktop performance then I won't need a desktop anymore lol.

While the naming of the laptop 4090 is stupid (It isn't even called a 4090M even though it should be at the very least), there is no denying it's still quite a beast. Having desktop 3090 levels of performance in a mobile form factor is nothing to scuff at.

I won't. The 4080 seems to be running all the latest stuff just fine at 1440 for me. I'll likely skip the 50 generation. I'm also still on a 5800x3d, and plan on skipping the current AM5 stuff, and whatever the next AM5 thing is as well.

I believe we're going to be entering a long period of very minimal graphics upgrades again here as well, and I suspect the 40 series will support most of the AI stuff over the next few years anyways which is where I believe most 'new' features will be.

Back