How long until DX10 comes out and makes DX9 cards obsolete?

Originally posted by obs
I have a question. If PS3.0 is in the DX9 spec, how can ATI and NVIDIA make DX9 certified cards if neither one of their cards runs PS3.0 in hardware?

there isn't one card out there that has ever supported every single DX feature, it just doesn't work that way

but they do support the major stuff, and in DX9 that is programable shaders, they are still DX9 cards because they do accelerate PS/VS 2.0 which is in DX9

they don't accelerate PS/VS 3.0, but that doesn't make them any less DX9 cards

Originally posted by Syphon Filter
If PS3.0 is part of the DX9.0 spec then surely someone could write a simple demo that implements the PS3.0 bits? The run this on both nvidia and ati cards and which can deliver?

There is no hardware that can run PS/VS 3.0 yet

Originally posted by Brent
there isn't one card out there that has ever supported every single DX feature, it just doesn't work that way

but they do support the major stuff, and in DX9 that is programable shaders, they are still DX9 cards because they do accelerate PS/VS 2.0 which is in DX9

they don't accelerate PS/VS 3.0, but that doesn't make them any less DX9 cards
I didn't realize that. I guess MS has a minimum spec for DX compliance?

Originally posted by 0ldman
I didn't realize that. I guess MS has a minimum spec for DX compliance?

kinda

Here is an example of a card that use to be touted as a DX9 card but not really one, the Matrox Parhelia. It supports VS 2.0 but only up to PS 1.3. Matrox has since changed their specs to call it a DX8.1 card card, because it doesn't support PS 2.0.

In order to be called a DX9 card it needs the least PS/VS support DX9 brings to the table, which is PS/VS 2.0. It also needs at least FP24 support. The GFFX qualifies because it goes beyond FP24 by offering FP32. A questionable area though in calling a card a DX9 card is HOS support.

read this thread: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9944

Back