How long is the warranty on an AMD Ryzen™ 9 5950X when you purchase a complete system?

Stevarian

Limp Gawd
Everything I have read indicates the warranty is 3 years for AMD processors, but they always say as part of their "Processor in a box" program.

Is the warranty the same for a system I purchased from a business such as Velocity Micro? I bought one of their systems 2 years ago, and it has the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X CPU. I have had some problems with it the last few months, and recently sent it in for repair, and I received an email today saying the CPU was bad and that a new one was going to cost $725.00. I wrote back and asked about the warranty, and am waiting for a response. I felt like I had been punched in the stomach.

Thanks in advance!

The warranty will be through the system builder (Velocity Micro) and not AMD unfortunately. If you click on the "System Builder" link on this page, they're actually listed at the bottom:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/desktop-kit-step2a

Poking around their site, it looks like the gaming PC's have a base 1 year warranty. Amazon is selling them for $500, so if you're comfortable with it, you'd probably be better off replacing it yourself.

Thanks for the info....and man does that hurt. I would still want them to replace it, as I want them to test it to make sure that is the only problem. I wonder if I could buy the proc from Amazon and ship it to their repair department? I doubt they would allow that though....

What stinks is that I had a conversation with their tech support lead back in November, and he said that if the motherboard or the cpu were bad, they could handle they exchange with ASUS or AMD respectively...under warranty. Now maybe he only meant the motherboard as ASUS has a 5 year warranty on their motherboards, but that was my understanding. EDIT - I realize that was not super clear....I know the system as a whole is out of warranty, but I had the understanding from Scott at Velocity Micro that the individual parts, such as the mb or CPU had their own warranties, and they could handle the items under warranty with the manufacturer directly if they proved defective.

I guess I will see tomorrow.

I have a thread over in the general computing forum about my issue with the computer and my attempts to troubleshoot it.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's not all common for CPU's to fail if running in a stable setup over years, so I'd be even skeptical that it's 100% the cause if they didn't give any specifics.

I'd imagine they still buy their components PIB and likely have the full warranty with manufacturers being that they're not a large OEM. Hopefully they will do something for you because that makes buying a prebuilt seem risky.

Thanks....you give me hope....it does seem odd for a cpu to fail. I have not overclocked this system at all, and the CPU is liquid cooled. This is the first prebuilt I have bought in YEARS. I think my first was a Gateway I bought in the late 90's. Otherwise, I have built my systems, and have always used Intel procs, with zero problems. I have my fingers crossed they help me out.

Yeah, it's not all common for CPU's to fail if running in a stable setup over years, so I'd be even skeptical that it's 100% the cause if they didn't give any specifics.

I'd imagine they still buy their components PIB and likely have the full warranty with manufacturers being that they're not a large OEM. Hopefully they will do something for you because that makes buying a prebuilt seem risky.
PIB = ???

I have an update from Velocity Micro, they now say they can RMA my CPU to AMD, but that it may take some time to get the replacement. So that is a relief, assuming it doesn't take months. I don't have $700 to just pay for a part that is under warranty.

It seems a little odd they didn't offer the options to either RMA the CPU or buy a new part now in their original email to me, but they at least offered it today and apologized.

Eh, you never know who you're dealing with in support, but glad to hear they're giving you a good option.

My one RMA experience with AMD was pleasant, it was about a 2 week turn-around time from the date I shipped it. Although it was 18 years ago back in the A64 days.

Eh, you never know who you're dealing with in support, but glad to hear they're giving you a good option.

My one RMA experience with AMD was pleasant, it was about a 2 week turn-around time from the date I shipped it. Although it was 18 years ago back in the A64 days.
Thanks....I hope that is the case here too. Velocity Micro is one of their partners, so I would think the process should be pretty quick and smooth.

Thanks....I hope that is the case here too. Velocity Micro is one of their partners, so I would think the process should be pretty quick and smooth.

Ehh, not all System Integrators have a direct rep from either CPU company. You would be surprised if I told you they buy them on Newegg and Amazon when they are on sale too.

Back