How long do motherboards generally last?

I have an Asus board from that era that's not my main rig anymore but still going. Socket 2011, originally an i7-3820 + 2xGTX 680 setup. Now it's a Xeon E5-2687Wv2 from eBay (cost me $120 or so) + RTX 3060Ti. The main reason I keep it around is I've got 64GB of DDR3 on it. Shouldn't have bought that vid card, but I won a newegg shuffle in early 2021 for a base model EVGA card for $500. A vid card for MSRP? Gotta buy that! IMHO it's mostly about cap quality if you're not pushing it. I lost a couple boards after just a few years during the cap plague.

I have an Asus board from that era that's not my main rig anymore but still going. Socket 2011, originally an i7-3820 + 2xGTX 680 setup. Now it's a Xeon E5-2687Wv2 from eBay (cost me $120 or so) + RTX 3060Ti. The main reason I keep it around is I've got 64GB of DDR3 on it. Shouldn't have bought that vid card, but I won a newegg shuffle in early 2021 for a base model EVGA card for $500. A vid card for MSRP? Gotta buy that! IMHO it's mostly about cap quality if you're not pushing it. I lost a couple boards after just a few years during the cap plague.
Nice setup for the time, so if a 680 was 700 back then why the hate for NV 460 pricing now, folks?

Last edited:
Still have an X99 going strong with an Intel 5820k. The 5820k has been overclocked to its limits for the entire time. Sure, it's not as old as some other mobos that people have running here, but I still have it in a second gaming rig with a 3090, so it's not just some dinosaur sitting around.

Still have an X99 going strong with an Intel 5820k. The 5820k has been overclocked to its limits for the entire time. Sure, it's not as old as some other mobos that people have running here, but I still have it in a second gaming rig with a 3090, so it's not just some dinosaur sitting around.

I would not fret too much over CPU choice, I went from a 5820K to a 12700k and the only noticeable thing was an increase in min frame rates once the novelty wore off.

I am out of the analytical chemistry/ research profession so I do not care about number crunching.

Is it really better to leave a PC on 24/7 vs. turning it on and off once a day?

Back