How important to match sticks for dual channel?

Ruiner

2[H]4U
I'm currently running a single 512 stick of Corsair xms2700 at 215fsb/CL2.5.

I'm looking into another 512MB, and the cheapest I've found that same ram is $130.
Should I pick up cheaper brand to run at these relatively conservative speeds, get the same exact stuff, or buy better (i.e. xms 3200 is going for $124)?

matched pairs are not necessary but you should stick with the same brand and model of memory :) that is what i did ( bought sticks over 1 year apart ) and it works fine

Right, but the older xms 2700 is actually a bit more expensive than xms3200 now.

Bulldog is correct.. It is pointless to pay extra for the paired DIMMS. I'm not even sure if the DIMMS have to be same brand or type. As long as the settings are that of the slowest DIMM. I had dual channel going with 2x256MB and a 512MB DIMM. The ram was the same brand, though, which may give a lil more stability in the long run. Hard to say. But the paired DIMMS are just a selling gimick. More a matter of ease of buying.

<> They were all PC2700 that I used. But if you dont plan on running at 400FSB, you could mix the speeds with new PC3200 and your old PC2700. All it is is a die that is capable fo faster speeds on the PC3200. Should run at 333 just fune.

Paragon said:
Bulldog is correct.. It is pointless to pay extra for the paired DIMMS. I'm not even sure if the DIMMS have to be same brand or type. As long as the settings are that of the slowest DIMM. I had dual channel going with 2x256MB and a 512MB DIMM. The ram was the same brand, though, which may give a lil more stability in the long run. Hard to say. But the paired DIMMS are just a selling gimick. More a matter of ease of buying.

<> They were all PC2700 that I used. But if you dont plan on running at 400FSB, you could mix the speeds with new PC3200 and your old PC2700. All it is is a die that is capable fo faster speeds on the PC3200. Should run at 333 just fune.

My setup won't even run 2 sticks slightly different and its not even dual channel. So i guess it depends on the mobo, etc. I just ordered a dual pack of mushkin pc3500 level 1 (512x2) and will see if they work together. They should but who knows.

I am running dual channel now with ram from 2 different companies and it is working fine for me.

Back