How hot do g5's run under full load?

sigmend

[H]ard|Gawd
and what temp do they burn out at?

You see I am a little worried, mine seem very hot
temps in fahrenheit and celsius

The weird thing is, I don't hear a jet taking off under my desk...

Dual 2Ghz G5; Stock Config

Originally posted by lopoetve
A. You're plenty cool.
B. Save as something else. Tiff == gay.
I don't have ps installed so I left it as grab compressed it.
I would have done .gif, but im on a clean format with no software installed

Ah. Office opened, which opened other things... you made a mess of my desktop ;)

Dont worry about heat with a G5. Those fans are smart, unlike the fans on the PC. They will spin up and down as they need to.

I run folding@home on this machine ( dual 1.8 ) with the CPUs maxed at 100% for WEEKS at a time - not a burp or a hiccup since the day after Thanksgiving 2003. :D

It's made to rock.

Originally posted by Selecter
Dont worry about heat with a G5. Those fans are smart, unlike the fans on the PC. They will spin up and down as they need to.

oh be quiet, my pc has the feature:D

same here...and currently my XP2400 is running at about 40c and system fans are running at 3% thanks to speed fan :D

What temp?

That is easy to find out, first get a temp prob, second take off the heatsink and remove all the fans from your G5, third turn it on and measure the temp. When the system cuts off you will have your answer. :D

Originally posted by Instigator
What temp?

That is easy to find out, first get a temp prob, second take off the heatsink and remove all the fans from your G5, third turn it on and measure the temp. When the system cuts off you will have your answer. :D
What a GREAT idea!

Yes, you can include fan busses and what not in yer homebrew machine, but it's still pretty rare to find them in a storebought PC. Compare Apples to Apples, not Apples to Kiwi Fruits. The great majority of store bought PC's dont have temp controlled fans.

it's the same mentality as trying to compare a G5 to the 733t DooD's homebrew game PC. IF you're going to compare, compare the same thing. Since you cant build a G5, then compare to store bought PC's. Also, 64 bits to 64 bits, dual CPU to Dual CPU. etc.

That's not true, people buy custom PC's from my store all the time and they all have thermally controlled fans. Whenever it doesn't fit the "mold" it's always I meant Dell or Gateway or IBM or HP, bah, they're all crap with support that can barely speak English, at least Apple doesn't contract their tech support to India like a PC company did, pretty ironic that they're a 4-letter word too, as it should be.

Well, thats what I meant by a store bought PC, Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq, ETC. The guys buying from you or the place you work for know whats up.

Just making the point that those machines dont have the type of fans the G5 does. Thats all.

Originally posted by Selecter
Well, thats what I meant by a store bought PC, Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq, ETC. The guys buying from you or the place you work for know whats up.

Just making the point that those machines dont have the type of fans the G5 does. Thats all.

well Alienware's systems use as Asus motherboards which have that smart fan feature and they are sold at bestbuy so does that count as a store bought pc?

Well alot of "big PC makers" use MSI mobos that have smart fan features as well, it's the fact that they do not spend the extra $.50 or less to put in a slightly better fan that takes advantage of it, unless it's on the CPU itself.

And also Alienware is kind of on the enthusiast end, they are for people that know what's up but aren't smart enough or too lazy to do it themselves.

As for a correction BestBuy no longer sells Alienware as of a few months ago, however EB does.

Originally posted by Instigator
Well alot of "big PC makers" use MSI mobos that have smart fan features as well, it's the fact that they do not spend the extra $.50 or less to put in a slightly better fan that takes advantage of it, unless it's on the CPU itself.

And also Alienware is kind of on the enthusiast end, they are for people that know what's up but aren't smart enough or too lazy to do it themselves.

As for a correction BestBuy no longer sells Alienware as of a few months ago, however EB does.

Apparently, If they can afford an ailenware, they can also afford a G5, therefore, I think they could be compared to eachother well

Morty:

At the G5 level Apples products are priced well if you take the whole ball of wax into account. Most the the price comparisions poeple do on here are terrible unbalanced, like comparing a home made 32 bit Athlon PC they get from Newegg to a G5. There's nothing similar about the 2 machines except that they are both computers.

Start comparing the same thing to the most closest match in the PC world and at beat Apples products are only a few hundred higher, if at all. ***STORE BOUGHT*** Dual Opterons dont come cheap, and dont forget each G5 comes with the op system and all the bundled iLife 04 software.....tack on a copy of Xp professional and buy all the = of iLife 04 for the PC and you always come up with a near equal figure or actually more money.

BTW, I love the A64's and Opterons, just like I love AMD's CPU's and always have in the PC world. But it's not 1999 anymore. Then Apples products *WERE* underpowered and overpriced. Not now.

I was more thinking along the lines of iMac... Heh. But my point was Alienware... They're overpriced. If you dispute that, well... what can I say? You're wrong. :D

Also, the G5:s have loads of features you usually have to pay extra for if you buy a PC... PCI-X, Firewire 800, Gbit ethernet, etc etc etc... And the eight memory slots of the dual processor ones is nice.

Back