How essential is NB cooling? (K8T800-Pro)

krizzle

Gawd
I've been wondering... I've got a k8t800 pro NB which is passively cooled... and i'm thinking if another $40 waterblock would actually improve anything. Even when I'm running with upped HTT and NB voltage, the heatsink on the chipset is only warm to the touch. If I do put a waterblock on it, I'm afraid it will only cool the thing by less than 5c, since it would come right after my CPU block which warms the loop to about 27c.

I just want to know, is there a justifiable advantage to my particular chipset's cooling?

No don't waste your time. If anything put some good thermal compound on it, or switch to an active cooler, but thats about it. WCing it isn't going to hardly gain you anything, if at all.

I was inclined to think so...
esp. with the k8 chipsets... they do almost nothing. What is it, AGP and PCI controls, that's it? With the mem controller on the cpu, the thing is quite dormant.

i have an a7n8x
BEFORE i had the chipset water block on it: after a few hours of compiling stuff i'd feel the little heat sink on it and it was HOT... oh and the most stable memory timings i could get were 3-2-3-6

AFTER i had the chipset water block on it: it increased my cpu's idle temperature by 4degrees because it's in the same loop... BUt my timings are now stable at 2-2-2-5

*stable timings for me means 24hrs of memtest86+ with no errors

Nice, but your memory controller is in your chipset. Mine is on my CPU, so my chipset does really little.

With the K8 I'd think it wouldn't do much, I agree if you think your NB temps are alittle high (or anything else) put a quiet fan on it.

Not to steal the thread or anything but I've got an A7N8X-E Deluxe (NB passive cooled) and I'm going WCing soon, would I benefit any from water cooling it? If not I'm thinking of getting a Thermalright NB cooler (copper version) and seeing how it works passively before I use the included fan.

like i said man, with the same board, except the X version, not the E version... it made a big difference on max memory timings...
and theoretically your NB is doing more work then mine.. so yeah.. i'd totaly go for it

i watercooled my NB only to reduce sound. one less fan in my box.

Watercooling the NB is serious overkill. If you must do something, do what I did. I replaced the dinky one my mobo came with and used the Zalman NB47J. Rarely gets warm.

Back