How does VIVO work?

Xylo

Limp Gawd
So, I recently, bought a X850 XT PE card, and it has VIVO. How does the VIVO work? It looks like a normal S-video port...

I've got the cable w/ 2 s-video and 2 composite video. I'm guessing here that one of the pairs of s-video & composite works as an "in" and one of the pairs works as an "out"? And just sorta gotta try 'em to figure out which is which? Or is it something else?

And out of curiousity, what happens if you just connect up a plain s-video cable to the port on the card?...will you just get gibberish?

(I also guess the s-video to RGB RCA is meant to be used on the s-video in or out on the previously mentioned cable?)

(P.S., on a similar note: can the video out be used as a "second monitor"?....I'm guessing not. But what happens is you use dual-monitors on the card -- what does the VIVO output? Just the primary monitor output?)

I think you need the dongle to use the SVIDEO connection (at least in my experience, but I have not used the newer ATI cards). As you state, one pair of composite/svideo is for in, the other is for out. To capture video, you need video capturing software. To use the video out, just enable it in the display properties. And yes you can use it as a secondary montior. You can use it as a distinct display or as a clone of your main display. However, TV out normally has resolution restrictions and depending upon your TV, anything above 800x600 may be unreadable.

BigBadBiologist said:
I think you need the dongle to use the SVIDEO connection (at least in my experience, but I have not used the newer ATI cards). As you state, one pair of composite/svideo is for in, the other is for out. To capture video, you need video capturing software. To use the video out, just enable it in the display properties. And yes you can use it as a secondary montior. You can use it as a distinct display or as a clone of your main display. However, TV out normally has resolution restrictions and depending upon your TV, anything above 800x600 may be unreadable.

Awesome, thank you.

Back