How does this look? (upgrading)

Save money by getting a X1900XT and get a lower-end Dual Core. Maybe a Opteron 165 or a X2 3800+.

What do you plan to do with the PC?

Then stick with the above advice. A faster clocked processor won't improve your performance in the game as the GPU bottlenecks. A Opteron 165 should be enough, and can be overclocked up to 2.6Ghz (FX-60) if extra muscle is needed.

A X1900XT is only 25Mhz Core and 50Mhz memory slower than the XTX, a overclock that can be done in one's sleep. Thus, save yourself the money and get the XTX.

Mobo is fine.

Wow it's much easier on the wallet going with an Opteron and the X1900XT - about $876.

I'm not up to speed on my AMD chips but I take the Opteron 165 is the current overclocking champ? It's certainly much cheaper than the X2 4800+ Are Opteron's for the server market?

Opteron 165 is currently the AMD Dual Core Overclocking champ, yes. Atleast the cheapest champ. For $325, it can be overclocked to FX-60 speeds and often beyond. It runs at 1.8Ghz, but don't let that deter you, considering how far it overclocks.

Opterons were for the server market, until about last October when AMD revealed Opterons for the mainstream Socket 939. Since then, someone figured out that they overclocked really well and there's pretty much been a Gold Rush for them. 2.6Ghz is almost guaranteed at this point, though people were getting over 3.0Ghz in the early days.

jmr said:
Wow it's much easier on the wallet going with an Opteron and the X1900XT - about $876.

I'm not up to speed on my AMD chips but I take the Opteron 165 is the current overclocking champ? It's certainly much cheaper than the X2 4800+ Are Opteron's for the server market?

Yes the opty 165 can hit 2.6Ghz@Stock voltage for many people, and thier fairly cheap as well only like 330$ and sometimes you can get them for like 270$ if you look around abit.

Back