How does one install programs in CentOS(I'm so new to linux)?

NewYork

Limp Gawd
I literally just started using Linux(CentOS to be exact)today. I have to setup Apache on this OS I just got installed. How do you install stuff on Linux though. I see no executable. Are all installs on Linux done through the Terminal window?

Do I move the folder I want to install to the root directory and then run a command in Terminal in get it installed?

I downloaded httpd-2.2.13.tar.gz
and extracted it, but not sure how to proceed.

I need an idiots guide or something.

Thanks

yum install httpd

You should really check google first for questions like this...

yum install httpd

You should really check google first for questions like this...

Not trying to be an ass but it's definitely not that easy. And I don't know Linux but why do you not know this? Or I'm using the wrong techniques!

Have you installed it on CentOS before?

Here's what the instructions say.

Download
extract
configure
compile
install
customize
test

Again not to be an ass but it's not just "yum install httpd". I've been using four different pages in google and still can't get it, I must be doing something wrong or I'm retarded.:(

yum install yumex

That will give you a graphical GUI with about 4000 programs to install. You can search by descriptions and it will install it for you.

Have you installed it on CentOS before?(

Most modern distributions will compile and package things like Apache for you so you don't have to. Yum is the tool used to access those packages in some RedHat distributions. The RedHat people have already done all the 'hard' stuff, packaged it up in a way that fits in with the rest of the OS and can be centrally managed, and using yum will get you that customized version.

You should use distribution-provided packages whenever possible and avoid compiling things yourself. Not only is it easier, it keeps your system clean and easy to maintain.

So I am using the wrong technique! Thank God I may not be retarded after all.:p

So will yumex allow me to use the newest version Apache 2.2.13?

I would like to use the newest version.

So will yumex allow me to use the newest version Apache 2.2.13?
Probably not. I don't know how Fedora works since I don't like RedHat distros, but I suspect it is a 'release' oriented distro as RHEL is. The distribution will be released with a particular version of each bit of software, and that version will live on until the next version of the distribution. If updates for security reasons are necessary, the patches will normally be backported and applied to the older version.

I would like to use the newest version.

Any particular reason? If you want the latest version of everything you should use a rolling-release distribution, and I wouldn't recommend this for any kind of server, even one at home.

Doesn't CentOS have some type of package manager like synaptic? (been awhile since I used a RHEL derivative)

If not, just use yumex like was suggested.

Code:
yum install yumex

Any particular reason? If you want the latest version of everything you should use a rolling-release distribution, and I wouldn't recommend this for any kind of server, even one at home.

No, not really. I just assume newer would be better.:confused:

Also, after looking up the term rolling release, it's not a good idea for what this computer is supposed to be used for in the future(though Apache is the only new software I wanted), that's if I ever figure everything out enough and get comfortable using Linux so I can have a nice secure server. I want to use Redhat but don't want to pay $80 to use it when I have no skills.

I may just use the Apache that comes with the OS if I can't get the new version correctly installed. I'm sure there is an older version that can be found in the yumex or package manager. I seen so many things in it called apache but I was hoping to use the newest version. But if I have to, I'll just use the yumex/package manager to get apache(any version) installed, seems much easier.

But does anyone have any easy instructions if I was to try to go through the crazy process of doing it the hard way? I got stuck after I extracted it and tried to compile it. I got a no compiler found error(not those words though) I started downloading some GNU Compiler. Will continue trying to install the new version again tomorrow.

Thanks for the help

Probably not. I don't know how Fedora works since I don't like RedHat distros, but I suspect it is a 'release' oriented distro as RHEL is. The distribution will be released with a particular version of each bit of software, and that version will live on until the next version of the distribution. If updates for security reasons are necessary, the patches will normally be backported and applied to the older version.

Fedora will update within a given release until a rebase if required, or some other major update.

Please note, Fedora is a bleading edge distro, it will likely have more up-to-date packages than other common distros.

Also, after looking up the term rolling release, it's not a good idea for what this computer is supposed to be used for in the future(though Apache is the only new software I wanted), that's if I ever figure everything out enough and get comfortable using Linux so I can have a nice secure server. I want to use Redhat but don't want to pay $80 to use it when I have no skills.

I may just use the Apache that comes with the OS if I can't get the new version correctly installed. I'm sure there is an older version that can be found in the yumex or package manager. I seen so many things in it called apache but I was hoping to use the newest version. But if I have to, I'll just use the yumex/package manager to get apache(any version) installed, seems much easier.

Do a:

yum -y update

On your current install, it will make you current for that release. One thing to note, Apache does not change much and has been stable for eons, you won't gain anything really by updating to their most recent release.

Not sure why I mentioned Fedora lol, OP is clearly using CentOS... but thanks for the info.

You're better off just using the version that ships with the distro unless you have a compelling reason not to. In this case the latest is not better because you probably don't know how to configure the build properly, it's going to clutter up the system with files the regular package management isn't aware of, you don't get automatic updates with the rest of the system and you can probably think of other reasons if you try. Compiling from source in a distribution with package management (at least without creating proper packages, anyway), is a bad idea. If you want bleeding-edge, you're asking for trouble.

And chances are you gain nothing from running the absolute latest version anyway. By and large Apache performs similarly today and has the same functionality it did 5 years ago.

Doesn't CentOS have some type of package manager like synaptic? (been awhile since I used a RHEL derivative)

If not, just use yumex like was suggested.

Code:
yum install yumex

It does, I was using it. But too be honest, it had so many things in it called Apache(seemed like 40-60) it got confusing. So I resorted to downloading the newest version(felt right) which in turn, lead me to trying the following.

Download
extract
configure
compile
install
customize
test

Unless the yumex or package manager can somehow get me the newest version installed. I will more then likely try this until I fail enough to do it with the default version.

Then, I don't even know how to access or setup the actual program. I need some in depth video tutorials, way faster then reading books/papers/manuals.

Not sure why I mentioned Fedora lol, OP is clearly using CentOS... but thanks for the info.

Hmmm, your absolutly right! I was thinking of the OPs post just before this!

Anyhow, Cent and Fedora commands/etc are the same, it still applies for the most part.

When you select the main apache package in the package manager, it automatically selects all the other smaller required files on its own and installs them.

Installing Apache manually the way you want is way to complicated when the package manager does it so easily...

Installing the absolute latest version isn't going to help you at all.

Do a:

yum -y update

Will do

When you select the main apache package in the package manager, it automatically selects all the other smaller required files on its own and installs them.

Installing Apache manually the way you want is way to complicated when the package manager does it so easily...

Installing the absolute latest version isn't going to help you at all.

Okay, I will take your(all of you) advice and go the safe route. I will reply back tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Unless the yumex or package manager can somehow get me the newest version installed. I will more then likely try this until I fail enough to do it with the default version.

yumex will get you the most recent version for that release, which will be very new and be perfect for your application.

With the default install all you have to do is put an index.html in /var/www/html/ and it will work!

Okay, I now realize it was already installed. I found that out when I ran yum install httpd.
How do I get it to work from here though? I put an html file in the /var/www/html/ directory but what do I have to do now?

Edit the httpd.conf.in file right? Where in the file does the IP address go? Do I use the computers own IP address?

What are the commands to turn the server on using terminal?

Thanks

turn it on with

Code:
service httpd start

You just use the servers IP address to connect to it. Might want to disable iptables (firewall) if you are having problems.

Code:
service iptables stop

turn it on with

Code:
service httpd start

You just use the servers IP address to connect to it. Might want to disable iptables (firewall) if you are having problems.

Code:
service iptables stop

And to keep it on after a reboot:

chkconfig httpd on

For a graphical services GUI:

yum install system-config-services

It's probably already running. Just navigate to your box's IP in a browser...

Back