How does Hot Swap Work? is it a Bios Option? Is it Safe?

Savi

Gawd
Hello I recently upgraded my home server using a Supermicro MBD-X10SL7-F-O My first time using a server type motherboard, not sure how Hot Swap works, can I just remove a hard drive and be good? or do I have to do somthing before I remove a drive while the PC is still on.

I am using Windows 8.1, the hard drives are in the Lian-Li 4 bay Hot Swap When it comes to server type stuff I am a total noob so I am sorry if this is a dumb question lol

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In BIOS set "SATA Type" or "SATA Mode" to "AHCI"

Then you can connect and disconnect disks to your hearts content.

When hot swap drives are properly configured you can safely remove them and reinsert the same or different drives while the server is running.

This sounds like a more useful feature then it usually ends up being for casual use because you'd generally only want to remove a drive if it is failed, and you'd need an identical/larger drive extra, and appropriate software to handle telling the raid controller to proceed to rebuild the array. And for casual use, you can probably just turn off the server for 5 minutes while you swap drives.

I thought switching the SATA Mode to AHCI you would need to reformat or lose your data or something? or was that just for SSD's?

I do have a SSD for the OS and rest WD green and reds. The reason why I want the hot swap is, I forgot to name the hard drives in Windows Storage Spaces to match there physical spots, So if one died or need to replace for upgrade right now I would have to unplug each hdd to see lol

Make sure you unmount/eject the disk in your OS before physically removing it to minimize the chance of file/filesystem damage.

Make sure you unmount/eject the disk in your OS before physically removing it to minimize the chance of file/filesystem damage.

I'm using Win 7 Pro 64 on an ASUS P9X79Pro motherboard, in a Corsair 800D case. This case has four hot-swap bays, which is great, but running Win 7 I can't seem to EJECT a hot-swap drive the way I can eject a USB drive. Is there some configuration I need to set?

x509

I'm using Win 7 Pro 64 on an ASUS P9X79Pro motherboard, in a Corsair 800D case. This case has four hot-swap bays, which is great, but running Win 7 I can't seem to EJECT a hot-swap drive the way I can eject a USB drive. Is there some configuration I need to set?

x509
I know there is some box you have to click fur each drive in the Windows device manger to make that happen but the exact name escapes me right now.
Also from personal experience with built in hosts and Windows I never had much luck getting it to work.

x509

What I've found is if you use the native Microsoft device drivers the hotswap will work like if using a USB. If you use the Intel drivers it won't work. I also have the 800D.

What I've found is if you use the native Microsoft device drivers the hotswap will work like if using a USB. If you use the Intel drivers it won't work. I also have the 800D.

Great case, the 800D. :)

Thanks. I think the issue is that my motherboard uses Intel-based SATA ports, and Intel drivers are installed by default if you use the ASUS driver disk that comes with my motherboard.

But this is a good point. :D Part of what I wnat to do with hot-swap drives is swap out my production build of Windows and put in an old "scratch" HDD and install a Windows 7 testbed. That testbed would be used for doing things like trial downloads, test major configuration changes, etc.

Back