How do you identify GPU water block compatibility?

Gorilla

Supreme [H]ardness
So I'm kind of in the market for a new GPU. I already have a custom loop set up so whatever I end up getting I will want to throw a full cover block on it.

I'm running a 980ti currently, so it's been a while since I had to shop for blocks. How do you know if a card a block are compatible. It seems like there are good deals on last gen AMD cards, and a lot of the last gen AMD blocks by EK and others seem to be getting clearanced, but identifying compatibility seems to be a real pain. I have yet to find a single card in stock anywhere that EK identifies as compatible with any of their blocks.

How do you determine if a GPU is reference or not? It's not like GPU brands post photos of their cards with the HSF removed.

Did you check out EK's configurator on their site? Drop down boxes make it pretty easy unless you are looking at a card they don't list/support.

1685774090793.png

They even tell yo if they don't have a block for the card.

1685774206220.png

1685774359189.png

Reactions: magda
like this
I installed a few bykski full cover blocks on two different model of gigabyte 3080 and then a couple asus tuf 3090s. I think I got them from formula mod. The bykski block would be milled out and fit for the particular card.

Did you check out EK's configurator on their site? Drop down boxes make it pretty easy unless you are looking at a card they don't list/support.

View attachment 574332

They even tell yo if they don't have a block for the card.

View attachment 574333
View attachment 574334

Yes. As I said, I haven't been able to find a single card that is still being sold new that EK identifies as compatible.

With that having been said, in theory a reference card should work with any block that fits reference cards. So that leads to the second question in my post. How do you identify reference cards?

its a real pain in the ass really...
you could find a block/price you like and click the button below to see what cards it works with and shop from that, maybe...

1686008042519.png

or find a card you want and google it + full water block

its a real pain in the ass really...
you could find a block/price you like and click the button below to see what cards it works with and shop from that, maybe...

View attachment 574819

or find a card you want and google it + full water block

I did think of that. It's tough when you are basically working with end of life blocks that were designed when the cards were released a couple years ago. None of the cards that are listed as compatible are still sold new. Why companies have to constantly change their models I don't know.

So I guess I could try to track down used versions of known compatible cards. What a pain.

Again in theory reference should be fine. Maybe I just identify a new card I want and then start trying to figure out if it is a reference PCB or not.

I did think of that. It's tough when you are basically working with end of life blocks that were designed when the cards were released a couple years ago. None of the cards that are listed as compatible are still sold new. Why companies have to constantly change their models I don't know.

So I guess I could try to track down used versions of known compatible cards. What a pain.

Again in theory reference should be fine. Maybe I just identify a new card I want and then start trying to figure out if it is a reference PCB or not.
yeah it is.
ref i think gives you a few more options, usually. and either TPU or google will usually cough up some PCB pics.

Back