How do you boot memtest off the CD

Matrices

Supreme [H]ardness
So I download the "ISO" file and I extract it, but there is no file with an .ISO extension in the extracted folder called "Boot". Nero doesn't find any file to burn in the folder. What the hell's the deal?

Matrices said:
So I download the "ISO" file and I extract it, but there is no file with an .ISO extension in the extracted folder called "Boot". Nero doesn't find any file to burn in the folder. What the hell's the deal?

Uhh in nero u open up disc image or something and then load up the iso (image of the whole cd) and then burn it. Though i'm not aware of a bootable memtest but then again i haven't dled it lately. Though ultimate boot cd does have it and the whole cd boots up by itself.

No nero has an image drive but that only reads .nrg files. Memtest download page has an ISO file that it explicitly says is for booting off the CD-ROM. Problem is there is no ISO file after the extract...there is a .bin file and two other files. I must be missing something here.

Matrices said:
No nero has an image drive but that only reads .nrg files. Memtest download page has an ISO file that it explicitly says is for booting off the CD-ROM. Problem is there is no ISO file after the extract...there is a .bin file and two other files. I must be missing something here.

Uhhh ru u sure? I was gonna post a pic but it ain't workin. My nero (ver 6.3) shows .nrg .iso .cue for under images. So are u downloading a zip that says ISO inside or a ISO file as in blahblah.ISO? If blahblah.ISO u do NOT extract that! :rolleyes:

Nero will burn .bin and .iso, just select "All" files it doesnt say it off the bat but it burns them just fine.

Select show all files and then select the file.

The Donut said:
Nero will burn .bin and .iso, just select "All" files it doesnt say it off the bat but it burns them just fine.

Select show all files and then select the file.

Yes i used to use that trick on isos before version 6.3 which actually lists all 3 types as i stated before! ;)

There is a bloody file and once I unzip it the result is a folder called "memtest86-3.0.iso". But it is a folder, not a file. In there, there is a file of the same name, it is a winrar file. Then there is a folder, also same name, contains a folder called Boot. But neither of thes...hell I guess this "winrar" must be the Iso, though when I used winrar it just extracted it further...oh what the hell.

dont unzip anything once you see the .iso file...even if it contains a winrar file. i just did this like five minutes ago. just open up nero, select that you wanna burn an image...then select the .iso file that you downloaded. and burn it. it will take like 2 seconds cause its only 37K but thats the right thing. i was unsure, cause there was only like a 1cm ring burned on my cd, but i rebooted with the cd in and memtest started right up. hope that helps.

And you don't have a spare floppy drive kicking around that you can plug in? :confused:

Yeah RedScare is right, the "winrar" file that is in the folder once you unzip it, along with another subfolder, is the ISO file itself. Just burn it and then reboot and the test will run. Yay!

That was useful for making sure my CH-5 was stable.

They need to include some instructions with that shit...

Back