How do USB thumbdrives work???

Hey there...I was wondering...how exctly do those USB thumbdrives work??? Anyone know?? THANX
C'YA ?:-D

You plug them in, and if you use a modern OS with USB plug and play support (Windows 2K and newer), the system automatically recognizes it and it acts like a removable hard drive.

It's basically just a non-volatile memory format like compact flash, secure digital or whatever with the necessary circuitry to connect via USB. Nothing particularly exciting.

Next time you have a spontaneous question (like you're always asking) google it some and you'll probably find the answer to your question and then some.

Originally posted by emorphien
It's basically just a non-volatile memory format like compact flash, secure digital or whatever with the necessary circuitry to connect via USB. Nothing particularly exciting.

Next time you have a spontaneous question (like you're always asking) google it some and you'll probably find the answer to your question and then some.

but then he couldnt make a new post here and include "THANX C'YA ?:-D"

How does it store data on something so small...I don't think it's a tiny tiny hard drive in there like the hard drives in our PC's...isn't it something different??? Does it store the data on a chip or something???

Originally posted by Metallica_Band
How does it store data on something so small...I don't think it's a tiny tiny hard drive in there like the hard drives in our PC's...isn't it something different??? Does it store the data on a chip or something???

As I said, its non-volatile memory like a compact flash card. It's like the slower kid brother of your RAM, except unlike RAM the memory chip doesn't forget anything when it's unplugged.

It's loaded with transistors, and it does not store data in the same physical sense that a hard drive (or optical disk) does. Like I said, look it up online; just do a search for "flash memory" and stop not listening to our responses.

here's a couple links that are real general, which seems perfect for you
How stuff works: Flash Memory
Flash Memory

There's plenty more like that. Those little USB drives are basically the same type of memory thats used in many devices. If you haven't been living in a hole for the past few years (you've got me wondering), you've probably heard of all the memory card formats for digital cameras. Compact flash, secure digital, smart media, xD cards... these all operate on the same principles as that USB 2.0 "drive" you're asking about.

Now, pull your head out and start thinking for yourself.

Originally posted by emorphien

Search by his name (assuming search is working)....all he ever posts is simple common questions that warrant a trip to google, and not a new forum thread.

Originally posted by djnes
Search by his name (assuming search is working)....all he ever posts is simple common questions that warrant a trip to google, and not a new forum thread.

I know, which is why I made the comment. If he didn't have a history, I would have been nicer.

Back