How Do I Test If RAM Has ECC?

IceTeaBag

Weaksauce
A friend of mine bought some OCZ EL PC3200 memory from Newegg, and we're getting a mixed message. Newegg says it doesn't have ECC, but the box it lists quotes from Anandtech and others saying it's top-of-the-line ECC memory. Is there a program that will tell if memory has ECC?

The best way to tell would be to look at the modules themselves for the part number and then look it up on OCZ's website.

I know some programs can try to tell like SiSoft's Sandra and some others like that, but aren't really the most accurate in the world.

I just did a quick search on newegg's site, and they do indeed have OCZ EL PC-3200 ECC, but only in a dual channel pack that is 256x2 that I saw.

If the ram doesn't have heat spreaders on it then try checking the chip configuration. If there is a chip missing in the middle of each dim then it is probably not ECC. If there are chips all the way across then it is most likely ECC. ECC ram requires an extra chip for each 8 so that it can store the parity bits.

it wont have ecc, i cant say i know this for fact, but ocz makes oc ram, and that paticular series AFAIK from my last experience with it was just low latency, nojthing to do with ecc

Back