how do I close a thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spankus

n00b
I started a thread...turned out to be a horribly bad idea....any idea how I close it?

If you need some form of administrative action in the forum then you should contact a Mod of the forum you are in, Super Mod or Admin via Private message or e-mail and explain what it is you need.
In the case of your thread it has now been closed.

You can't lock or delete a thread yourself. You need to press the report post button and report yourself. Sounds kinda funny but thats what you have to do.

Why wouldnt people be able to close their own threads? Wouldnt it help prevent spamming of posts?

xphantg0d said:
Why wouldnt people be able to close their own threads? Wouldnt it help prevent spamming of posts?
I don't know, but I think it has something to do with the sense of community here. The second someone posts to a thread I made, that thread is no longer solely mine. If you give a valid reason to a moderator, they'll close it for you.

Also, you can't report yourself, for some reason. You have to be logged out to do that.

xphantg0d said:
With the exception of sales that have closed out, and are no longer valid, this is generally a bad idea. Let the thread die when the content and discussion have died, not when the threadstarter feels it is done. While I do beieve keeping threads on topic, sometimes a digression is ok once the original question has been answered in full, and the new topic relates to the original one. Also, there is always the issue with a question being asked, and one or two incorrect replies being posted. If the threadstarter felt satisfied, then noone would have the ability to rebut the incorrect points. This is why moderators exist, to decide which discussions need to come to and end. The mods here do a good job, and you know what they say about something not being broken and fixing it.

Trust me, it does not work elsewhere, why would it work any better here?

M11 said:
With the exception of sales that have closed out, and are no longer valid, this is generally a bad idea. Let the thread die when the content and discussion have died, not when the threadstarter feels it is done. While I do beieve keeping threads on topic, sometimes a digression is ok once the original question has been answered in full, and the new topic relates to the original one. Also, there is always the issue with a question being asked, and one or two incorrect replies being posted. If the threadstarter felt satisfied, then noone would have the ability to rebut the incorrect points. This is why moderators exist, to decide which discussions need to come to and end. The mods here do a good job, and you know what they say about something not being broken and fixing it.

Trust me, it does not work elsewhere, why would it work any better here?
I was just thinking that many of the threads have a post at some point asking a mod to close the thread and anything after that post that makes it in is usually spam or just someone agreeing (serruptitious spam). So I think that most people have a pretty good sense when they have what they wanted. Also some people complain that old threads are brought back to the top of the forum when some guy who didnt sign on for a month decides to respond to a 3 week old thread. I think that at the least people should bt able to close their own thread in the hotdeals section but even that isnt so neccesary since the mods do do a great job of watching for requests to close threads. I dont know what the features of vbulletin are so i dont know if it would be easy or difficult to implement some sort of thread closing system.

you actually can close threads you started if you're a genmay subscriber, a perk i guess

hey, that's cool. Probably an accident/oversight though. I'm gonna find old threads of mine and try the other admin options now.

//edit: Negatory on the other buttons

tim_m said:
you actually can close threads you started if you're a genmay subscriber, a perk i guess
That's a pretty neat feature.. I never knew you had that option.

lorcani said:
You can open your threads? What?
if you're a genmay subscriber, you can lock threads that you started and unlock threads that you locked that you started. i would assume that you can't unlock a thread you started that a mod/admin locked.

A long, long time in a galaxy far, far away members used to be able to open/close and even delete their own threads. That power proved to be to much of a pain in the ass for Mods/Admins who would close a thread only to see it reopened in a matter of minutes. Thread starters would also close off threads when someone got the better of them in a discussion or outright delete threads with 5 pages of posts (which also deleted post counts) which caused public riots in major cities. Some things are best left to moderators to keep the tempers calmed. ;)

As an alternate method, you can mail a case of beer to one of the admins, and magically, the thread will get eaten by a database glitch. Its really weird. :D

MajorDomo said:
A long, long time in a galaxy far, far away members used to be able to open/close and even delete their own threads. That power proved to be to much of a pain in the ass for Mods/Admins who would close a thread only to see it reopened in a matter of minutes. Thread starters would also close off threads when someone got the better of them in a discussion or outright delete threads with 5 pages of posts (which also deleted post counts) which caused public riots in major cities. Some things are best left to moderators to keep the tempers calmed. ;)
does this mean it was a glitch and is being removed or does it mean you think GM subscribers are mature enough to handle this awsome power?

Do you ever run into a thread or reply you posted a long time ago and it kind of freaks you out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back