How do compare Switches? Is there a CPUBENCHMARK for Switches?

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a 48-port Gigabit Smart Switch GS748Tv5 and I don't know if I should use it to replace an existing Switch.

What should I look for? Age? Throughput? Obviously, 10Gbps > 1Gbps, but what other signals are there?

Thanks, guys!

Generally most switches can do line wire speeds without breaking a sweat. Gone are the days of cut through switches or problems in speed with the store and forward design. There's no real benchmarking done on switches any more because of this. Get whatever meets your specs and run it! :)

Thanks, guys! Glad I'm not overthinking it. Much appreciated!!!

Most switches will give a total bandwidth that the switch can process at once, if your bandwidth requirements fit into that range, then you are good.

1710475241805.png

Most switches will give a total bandwidth that the switch can process at once, if your bandwidth requirements fit into that range, then you are good.

View attachment 641654
Right here.

You should be able to find the backplane bandwidth of most switches. That 100Gbps is at the network or data link layer. You’d have to be maxing out all 48 ports, both ingress and egress, and you probably still might not hit the limit of the backplane on the switch.

Back