how difficult is it to add ram to a laptop?

MuckyFoots

Gawd
i put together my desktop if thats any help.

i dont have any specific model in mind,

are they usually easy to open up?

Friend of mine had a Dell Inspiron. When I installed RAM in it, all I have to do was unscrew a small panel on the back, pop out the old and in with the new. Very easy. No need to crack the entire thing open. Never owned a lappy myself, but I'm sure that it's similar in all laptops.

~PW

Same deal with a Dell inspiron, Hp Pavilion, and a Thinkpad A31, all of them have a panel on the back that allows you to add RAM. The Thinkpad and Inspiron all had one slot that you could add to in the back and one that was unaccessible. The KDS had both slots right in the back. Its not a big issue to upgrade at all.

I have a CL56 notebook..........it's the exact same as the guys above described. Just be careful.........you dont want to shove it in like you do with normal DIMMs

I used to own a 833mhz Compaq presario, and you had to remove the damn keyboard to get to the ram :rolleyes:. Terrible design, took me half an hour just to figure out where the ram was. Most newer laptops are easier to work with though.

The only notebooks that'll be a PITA to add RAM to are the ultralights or the Clevo made eMachines notebooks. The Ultralights and the eMachines notes often have only one DIMM that is easily accessible (or just one period) where there is another on the inside of the machine which requires it be dismantled to get to.

Most laptops have one under the keyboard and one in the back.

For the one in the back, you simply have to unscrew.
For the one under the keyboard, you have to unlatch the keyboard (could be a combination of unscrewing a few screws and unsnapping a few things).

I just upgraded my laptop to 1GB (2x512mb) from 512mb (2x256mb) so I had to replace both sticks. One was under the keyboard and the other was on the back.

spectrumbx said:
Most laptops have one under the keyboard and one in the back.

For the one in the back, you simply have to unscrew.
For the one under the keyboard, you have to unlatch the keyboard (could be a combination of unscrewing a few screws and unsnapping a few things).

I just upgraded my laptop to 1GB (2x512mb) from 512mb (2x256mb) so I had to replace both sticks. One was under the keyboard and the other was on the back.

None of Dell's units have a memory module under the keyboard, the exception is the Latitude X300. But yeah, Toshiba is notorious for that.

Back