How big a PSU for 24 drives in Norco RPC-4224?

trumee

n00b
Hello,

I have picked up the parts required for my build. I will be building this over time but do need to get a PSU from the start. Anybody has a recommendation on PSU should i use? The Norco case will require 6 molex for the back plane. The case fans also require molex but I think I can connect them to the motherboard.

My part list is here.

Thanks

Drives draw a lot more power at spin up. I'm not sure what the 4TB reds draw at start up.

I usually put a 650W or 750W supply in file servers with single CPUs and 20 or so 7200 RPM drives at work. My servers usually just use motherboard video since they are all Linux and do not have X windows installed.

Last edited:
Does your system support staggered spinup? If not, then you need a PSU large enough to handle the surge from starting up, which is about 15 watts per drive. However, it is the case that your CPUs and GPU will be sipping power during startup, so calculating for maximum power draw of your system plus HDD spinup power draw doesn't make much sense, as the two scenarios will never coincide. Your maximum system power draw is around 500 watts, assuming . Spinup is around 360 watts, and I would estimate the startup wattage of your system to be in the 150-200 watt range. Aim for a good 650 watt PSU and you should be more than safe.

Back