How AMD Zen Almost Didn't Make It | Stories of Ryzen, ft. Unreleased CPUs

erek

[H]F Junkie
Really cool history

“This didn't make the final cut for our upcoming, in-depth lab tour of AMD's testing & engineering campus in Austin, Texas, but the stories told (and the unreleased products shown) were too interesting to cut entirely -- so we branched out the discussion. This covers some of AMD Zen's history from a side conversation with Amit Mehra and Bill Alverson at AMD, discussing the many challenges of initial bring-up, products that get pitched and some that don't make it to market, and how Zen almost didn't make the original showing in 2016. AMD's Ryzen CPUs launched to the public in 2017, but this content looks at the behind-the-scenes of what led up to that launch.GamersNexus pays for all of its own travel for on-location coverage. Learn more in our ethics statements and policies”

Source:

just finished watching.. interesting hearing about all the different things they experiment on that never actually makes it as a product. but the crazy part was hearing about why they quit doing the laser etching on the raven ridge chips, never would of even crossed my mind as that causing the issues they were seeing.

This is the kind of stuff I like to watch. I don't generally watch opinionated nonsense on YouTube but I will watch stuff like this all day long.

As someone that went through the highs and lows of AMD I was hopeful that Zen would work out... unfortunately I didn't have enough foresight to buy stock when it was like $2 a share.

This is the kind of stuff I like to watch. I don't generally watch opinionated nonsense on YouTube but I will watch stuff like this all day long.

As someone that went through the highs and lows of AMD I was hopeful that Zen would work out... unfortunately I didn't have enough foresight to buy stock when it was like $2 a share.

Well to be fair I actually owned the stock at 2 dollars a share but I didnt think it would go to where it did and sold at around 60 dollars a share. I dont think anyone was expecting it to surge as quick as it did, can't complain though as I made a decent profit. Plus even I was unsure if AMD was going to survive when I bought at 2 dollars a share, so it was not like I bought a ton of it.

Well to be fair I actually owned the stock at 2 dollars a share but I didnt think it would go to where it did and sold at around 60 dollars a share. I dont think anyone was expecting it to surge as quick as it did, can't complain though as I made a decent profit. Plus even I was unsure if AMD was going to survive when I bought at 2 dollars a share, so it was not like I bought a ton of it.

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X3D & Ryzen 9 5900X3D Prototypes Demoed in Gamers Nexus Video

by T0@st Today, 14:57 Discuss (0 Comments)
Gamers Nexus has uploaded a video feature dedicated to the history of AMD's Zen CPU architecture—editor-in-chief and founder Stephen Burke ventured to Team Red's Austin, Texas-based test and engineering campus. Longer and more in-depth coverage of his lab tour will be released at a later date, but today's upload included an interesting segment covering unreleased hardware. The Gamers Nexus crew were shown several examples of current and past generation AMD 3D V-Cache CPUs. Prototype Ryzen 7000-series Zen 4 designs were shown off by principal engineer Amit Mehra and technical team member Bill Alverson. They also brought out older 5000-series Zen 3 units that never reached retail—the 16-core Ryzen 9 5950X3D was demonstrated as having a 3.5 GHz base clock, and it can boost up to 4.1 GHz. The 12-core Ryzen 9 5900X3D had 3.5 GHz base and 4.4 GHz boost clocks.

Team Red only sells one AM4 3D V-Cache model at the moment, in the form of its well received Ryzen 7 5800X3D CPU. It was released over a year ago, but recent price cuts have resulted in increased unit sales—system builders looking to maximize the potential of their older generation Ryzen 5000-series compatible mainboards are snapping up 5800X3Ds. AMD could be readying a cheaper alternative, with previous reports proposing that a "Ryzen 5 5600X3D" is positioned to take on Intel's 13th Gen Core i5 series (with DDR4). The unreleased Ryzen 9 5950X3D and 5900X3D have 3D V-Cache stacks on both of their CCDs (granting 192 MB of L3 cache), which is unique given that all retail 3D V-Cache CPUs (released so far) feature single CCD stacks. Apparently AMD decided to stick with the latter setup due to it offering the best balance of performance and efficiency.

Ah... "foresight"... To be fair, I told friends buying fake money (bitcoins) for pennies in the early days was down right stupid. Got them convinced. Its only later I realized now that its smart to never give any form of financial advice ever, to anyone. I had random nightmares of these people showing up randomly and stabbing me.

don't worry you're not the only one.. sold mine right around the same price thinking the bubble was going to pop going by AMD's history.. made a nice chunk of change but wish i had held it longer, oh well.

Back