HOT! WD 256GB SSD - $199 Shellshocker

Status
Not open for further replies.
it said avaialble just now, and then was gone again with a single refresh.

If I were to have this and a 40gb intel SSD, what would you guys recommend for a setup? I have Win7 on my Intel, but w/ loads of apps I'm at like 900mb. Will this drive be bad for the OS?

If I were to have this and a 40gb intel SSD, what would you guys recommend for a setup? I have Win7 on my Intel, but w/ loads of apps I'm at like 900mb. Will this drive be bad for the OS?

No, this drive will be awesome for the OS (not being sarcastic) :).

Previously it said "auto-notify to see when this part is restocked" and now it just says SOLD OUT. So, I'm guessing they're all gone, and I'll now have to wait another year or so to get this much space on an SSD for this cheap.

Bummer.

I'm sure this drive would be fine for the OS. What I realized, too late, is that when you do a fresh install of Win7 onto a small SSD (40-60GB) make sure to set up the user folders onto a larger drive. I got Windows down to something like 25 GB on my 50GB Agility 2, but now the user folder is nearly 20 GB and I'm running out of space. Not sure if that is a new Win7 thing, or if I never micromanaged my space so much. Seems excessive however, a lot of file duplication seems to be going on.

40GB is kinda too small, its fairly usable for netbook type of computer only.

This drive ain't bad for OS at all..

Also, I find it awkward to see people starting to use "app" instead of "software". A bit annoyed me.. :(

Hmm, I'm still not ready to spend that much on a hard drive...but, I would like an ssd for the computer I've been building forever. I can use sata III, much of a difference in speeds between sata II ssd's and sata III?

Hmm, I'm still not ready to spend that much on a hard drive...but, I would like an ssd for the computer I've been building forever. I can use sata III, much of a difference in speeds between sata II ssd's and sata III?
Only if you have an official Intel-made SATA III controller. The Marvel SATA III controller on X58 boards and most add-in cards is a joke.

For consumer level loads there isn't a user visible performance difference between the first good SSDs (Intel G1, Indilinx barefoot controller) and the fastest SATA 6GB drives. Heavily loaded servers will benefit but the rest of us are deep into the land of diminishing returns.

Maybe this will be the exception, but aren't most Shellshocker deals mediocre, or at least the regular sale price, a few months later?

Maybe this will be the exception, but aren't most Shellshocker deals mediocre, or at least the regular sale price, a few months later?

i'm going to say this is an exception. nobody was buying those drives at the original price. they were overpriced and underperforming. at $200 however it was a smoking hot deal because its capacity made up for any theoretical slowness. they are still plenty fast for daily use.

unless newegg has a bunch more in stock i dont think we'll see more at $199 for a long time. WD needs a faster drive out anyway.

I'd say it's usually half and half... I've seen some really good shell shocker deals mixed in there.

900mb left in drive space?

That thing has gotta be slow as molasses.

Not really. I had less than 500mb on my agility 1 for quite a while. It wasn't noticeably slow.

New:
0VoHd.jpg

Full:
qz2Zj.jpg

After moving stuff off the SSD:
Q2L6d.jpg

in unrelated news, this drive popping up all over ebay

Yeah, and the forums too.... Its not like other users look at the hot deals section too. Maximum I'd offer is $15 over their total costs, but it seems those who got one to resell just want to profit from other users....:(

Wow, the markups on eBay are ridiculous...

I'm still pissed though at Newegg for having so few in stock...

Yeah, and the forums too.... Its not like other users look at the hot deals section too. Maximum I'd offer is $15 over their total costs, but it seems those who got one to resell just want to profit from other users....:(

They're doing the work to get it and then ship it out to you at a CHEAPER price than otherwise available.... go without if the price is too high like you would any other product. He seized the price and time to get it... you didn't ;).

They're doing the work to get it and then ship it out to you at a CHEAPER price than otherwise available.... go without if the price is too high like you would any other product. He seized the price and time to get it... you didn't ;).

Looks like maybe nobody wants to buy it, so he'll get suck with it, which is fine by me. I have to agree with people, it is silly and more than a bit greedy to try and snap up a deal and try to resell it. I personally hope to see these people have to eat the purchase. Not because I'm bitter, I got my drives from Newegg, but because perhaps they'll learn something.

I had my order voided but called right away and they said when they got it back in stock they would match the $199.99 price. Ordered it today for $499.99 and they already shipped it and sent me a confirmation that they credited my card $300.00

Going to put this in my new desktop build.

GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 ($119.99-$40 combo deal - $10 rebate = $69.99) and i5 2500K (179.99) combo from Microcenter = $265.58 with Tax AR

G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 from Newegg = $59.99

Antec Kuhler H20 620 from Amazon = $64.95

Can't wait!

For those of you bitching cause I'm selling my SSD you have no idea what you are talking about. I had a massive motherboard/PSU failure over the weekend and need to replace my wife's computer. If not for that I would keep this one since I planned on raiding it with the other one I got. If it doesn't sell I'll still RAID, but will be out the $$ on the wife's repair.

Sorry for your loss DooKey. People need to quit gryping about the price of his stuff. If you don't like it, don't post about it. It's a great drive.

For those of you bitching cause I'm selling my SSD you have no idea what you are talking about. I had a massive motherboard/PSU failure over the weekend and need to replace my wife's computer. If not for that I would keep this one since I planned on raiding it with the other one I got. If it doesn't sell I'll still RAID, but will be out the $$ on the wife's repair.

LMAO.. I Call BS,, if you were just trying to get your money back for it so you could buy parts for your wifes rig you would sell it for what you paid (which was a hell of a deal) plus a respectable amount. Hell 256 which is a dollar a gig & it would sell almost immeaditly and you would still come out a little ahead (enough to make it worth your time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back