HOT FIRE! Acer Predator x34 (GSYNC) - Refurbished - $729.99 SHIPPED

Got it from Best Buy, more than a month ago, so I'm SOL. Seriously considering selling the thing (I do love it, honestly) and getting the Acer... but I'll probably stick with what I have. I'm 100% sure the Dell has better color quality and I've heard too much about Acer's QC issues; that matters a lot to me. I've never even seen Gsync working, so as long as I keep my head in the sand I should be alright. :(

Their normal return policy is 30 days but they may have an extended holiday return policy in effect depending on when you actually purchased it. Just saying. You may have time to purchase this one and test to see which you prefer and still return the Dell. ;)

Their normal return policy is 30 days but they may have an extended holiday return policy in effect depending on when you actually purchased it. Just saying. You may have time to purchase this one and test to see which you prefer and still return the Dell. ;)

I have a rather coveted "near-zero backlight bleed" Revision A02 U3415W with no dead/stuck/whatever pixels. I'm not going to torture myself, I'll keep it. Chances are G-sync monitor prices will come down by the time I rebuild in a year or two, so whatever. In the meantime I honestly do love 21:9 3440x1440 and the U3415W has great color -- so good when I went to re-calibrate it (just out of habit) I went back to factory... cause it was basically the same, and near perfect.

Last edited:
added 1 in my cart earlier and still let me continue to check out, so I did. Here's hoping to get a decent one and will not notice the scanline problems whatever that is.

Sounds like most of these refurbished ones would not do 100 hz I think I can wait for Asus version. I want 100 hz and at most mild back light bleed. My LG wide-screen is fine for now but rather have that high refresh rate. Sounds like most of these were returned since they can't overclock well. Wish someone reviewed one they bought refurbished so we know for sure

Sounds like most of these refurbished ones would not do 100 hz I think I can wait for Asus version. I want 100 hz and at most mild back light bleed. My LG wide-screen is fine for now but rather have that high refresh rate. Sounds like most of these were returned since they can't overclock well. Wish someone reviewed one they bought refurbished so we know for sure

Well as soon as I receive mine I'll let everyone know how it performs. If I can't get one without issues then I'll simply return it and wait for the Asus version as well.

...Edit.... They just cancelled my order... Looks like I've got my answer.

No immediately noticed scan line issues or glow but in the past I haven't noticed those things right away. Glow will become more apparent when night hits (my office has too many windows to completely eliminate light). I haven't planned on overclocking. I'll post back when I've used it for a good amount of time. The only con I've noticed is that the monitor seems very susceptible to wobble from my typing or general desk use. I like how the stand allows for many more angles than my LG ultrawide but this seems to come at the cost of not being very stable.

I got the OK to buy this.

still want to hear more feedback before I do.

Is there anything wrong with these monitors? Cooler colors on one side or the other? a XB270HU I tried showed yellow colors on one side and white colors on the other while looking at a white webpage which drove me nuts.

I got the OK to buy this.

still want to hear more feedback before I do.

Is there anything wrong with these monitors? Cooler colors on one side or the other? a XB270HU I tried showed yellow colors on one side and white colors on the other while looking at a white webpage which drove me nuts.

The uniformity is very good on mine. Here's a photo of an all white screen:

gWHb.png

Not many games use this resolution/aspect ratio right?

Quite a few do actually. Check out wsgf.org, and look up the games you play. In some games things like menus and cut-scenes might not fully support the aspect ratio, but in gameplay it's not as few as you think. Rise of the Tomb Raider and Firewatch look really really good at 3440x1440.

Not many games use this resolution/aspect ratio right?

Entirely depends on what you play. I would say the majority of new games do. In the past few months I've played the new Tomb Raider, The Witcher 3, Just Cause 3... all have supported 21:9 fine.

So if I get this right, this resolution isn't more demanding then 4k right? I see is being between 2k and 4k as far as gpu horsepower goes

So if I get this right, this resolution isn't more demanding then 4k right? I see is being between 2k and 4k as far as gpu horsepower goes

This monitor has 4,953,600 pixels.

4k monitors have 8,294,400 pixels.

So this is about 60% as demanding as a 4k monitor.

Yeah. Quite a but under. 3440x1440 is just under 5 million pixels while 4k is over 8.

I was trying to gauge my current setup with a 980 ti and 2560x1440 and see if it's less to go with this resolution or 4k. I don't want to be able to run games at 30fps..lol

I was trying to gauge my current setup with a 980 ti and 2560x1440 and see if it's less to go with this resolution or 4k. I don't want to be able to run games at 30fps..lol

I haven't played a huge amount of games yet but my ti runs Dying Light almost completely maxed at 60fps and basically maxed in Rise of the Tomb Raider (AA is set to FXAA, film grain is off, motion blur is off) at 45-60+ depending on the area.

With G-Sync 45fps feel pretty smooth though right?

It should. I have the Dell ultrawide. 45 feels fine in Rise even without g-sync. Missed out on getting the refurb Acer and couldn't find a new one in stock anywhere at MSRP.

I don't see how 45fps can feel fine without G-Sync though, anything under your refresh rate is always jittery/stutter without G-Sync. Isn't that the selling point of G-Sync?

I don't see how 45fps can feel fine without G-Sync though, anything under your refresh rate is always jittery/stutter without G-Sync. Isn't that the selling point of G-Sync?

It can depend on the game and how smooth it is. One of the other big points of g-sync is also getting rid of the lag you get with vsync. I went from a 144hz monitor to the ultrawide.

I do see a bunch of Newegg reviews talking about this monitor having scanline issues though and how Acer is not accepting returns because they don't consider it a defect

how bad is scanline? is it very noticeable? It is pretty much the main thing that is keeping me from buying this monitor. I really hope someone comes out with a monitor without that issue because I am hearing the asus one still has scanlines

Mine has faint scanlines in the G-Sync pendulum demo but they aren't visible in actual games. Why that is, I have no idea... but I've tried looking for the same lines in games and they just aren't there.

In the Pendulum demo they basically go away at 70+ FPS. At 30-40 they are noticeable.

I can't get a good photo of them because they are very faint and the noise from my camera ends up masking the lines.

And yes, the Asus PG348Q has the same issue, 3 people over at overclock.net have reported them so far.

and hows it working ? 100Hz , BLB , ect..

Sorry been busy all weekend. But works fine. No dead pixels, backlight bleed though as I expected but at this price, I can deal with it. I thought 27 was good but this thing is big, and extremely immersive. I don't notice anything but what's on screen while play with this ultrawide.

No retail box, it was just a cardboard box but the foam seemed original cause it matched the shape of the monitor. Came with power cable, DP, and hdmi.

Back