Hooking up Computer Speakers to Hometheater Receivers...

rayman2k2

Supreme [H]ardness
Is it possible? I know that many receivers have optical inputs, and alot of computers have optical outputs, but could I hook up Klipsch Promedias to a receiver?

Sure. Use the unpowered pre-outs on your receiver to go into the Promedia inputs. You may need to convert from RCA to 3.5mm stereo plug, but that's no problem with some quick cabling and adapters. This is all assuming you don't have the Klipsch digital decoder add-on. HTH.

Originally posted by NoXPert
Sure. Use the unpowered pre-outs on your receiver to go into the Promedia inputs. You may need to convert from RCA to 3.5mm stereo plug, but that's no problem with some quick cabling and adapters. This is all assuming you don't have the Klipsch digital decoder add-on. HTH.

would i still get surround sound with a 3.5mm stereo plug?

Yes. You are only doing two channels at a time. Each cable coming out of a preamp output has two channels on it. Each 3.5mm stereo plug you attach to every cable is two channels. Your Promedias have three inputs, one for Front L/R, Rear L/R and Center/Sub. You will use three cables to connect the equipment.
The following is a description of what you will do.
Cable 1 - (White) > Front Left; (Red) > Front Right
Cable 2 - (White) > Rear Left; (Red) > Rear Right
Cable 3 - (White) > Center; (Red) > Sub or LFE
Each cable will then get adapted down to a 3.5mm stereo plug. Cable 1 goes to Front L/R input on the Promedia system, cable 2 to the Rear L/R input and cable 3 to the Center/Sub input.

Better yet, get these cables and direct connect the same way described. It may save you some money. You can, of course (and should), substitute for a better brand of cable that this. I'll check back with you in this thread in case you aren't clear yet, but I think you will understand.

hmmm...i think i understand, but are there any receivers with optical or coaxial outputs?

Originally posted by rayman2k2
hmmm...i think i understand, but are there any receivers with optical or coaxial outputs?

I don't have knowledge of any off the top of my head, but honestly: if you can afford a reciever you might as well get some new (standalone) speakers along with it. That's part of the point of the reciever, it has a built in amp to use real speakers along with it. You might as well get an RCA switchbox if you are really bent on using your computer speakers.

Originally posted by or_smth
I don't have knowledge of any off the top of my head, but honestly: if you can afford a reciever you might as well get some new (standalone) speakers along with it. That's part of the point of the reciever, it has a built in amp to use real speakers along with it. You might as well get an RCA switchbox if you are really bent on using your computer speakers.

Hmm...the thing is, I like how the Promedias allow me to turn of the rear channel, sub, and center channel with a push of a button...now, if there are any receivers that can do that, then I might as well get one of those...

Back