Homemade Res

alexoprice

n00b
I dont want to pay 50 bucks for a stupid res so i thinik i will just make one myself. If anyone has any experience or advice i would appreciate it, and maybe pics of yoru homemade res. I am thinking of just going with pvc to make a tank style res but any other suggestions would be helpful. thanks.

Ever seen those big tower water tanks in the city? Make a mini-tower thign of tose and mount in over the blow whole in your case..

THat would be awesome!

One more thing, how can i get my tubing to connect? is it easy to attack barbs or whtaver i want for tubing? Just drill a hole in pvc and teflon tape?

"attack" barbs...lol, yeah i guess it would be, although i dont know how productive it would be ;) (j/k)

but really, you could just get a drill, drill out the area, and screw in the barbs(w/ teflon tape, and maybe i am a little overcautious, but put some epoxy around the barbs base). just make sure it is a tight fit.
also, make sure the water exiting the res is at the bottom, other can be anywhere really.

Suntar said:
Ever seen those big tower water tanks in the city? Make a mini-tower thign of tose and mount in over the blow whole in your case..

THat would be awesome!

i like that idea

I was going to make one out of either PVC (epoxied end caps) or copper pipe (soldered/brazed/whatever). One thing I noticed about some designs (most notably the short and fat bay res.), is that they have a divider on the inside of the reservoir to force the water to flow and get mixed up a bit. That may not be necessary if you put an inlet on the top of the pipe and an outlet on the bottom (assuming vertically mounted). I don't know what effect that would have on water sloshing around in there. I suppose if your water level was high enough, it wouldn't slosh. I would try to point the inlet towards the side of the pipe to reduce turbulence (i.e. hitting a ramp to direct the water, instead of hitting a wall). I'd also put the outlet going straight down out the bottom, seems like that would help use the weight of the water to push itself out (your pump has already lifted this high, right?)

Maybe I don't know what i'm talking about, this is my first WC setup :eek:

Look through my project log (in sig) since I am making my own. It is really easy adn cheap. glcg2000 made his a week before mine for $7 and he will have some advice as well. He is supposed to be making a DIY WC guide to be stickied but I guess Doom 3 is preventing him from getting it done. :p

Here is gclg2000's thread

Try taking a look at this. I will post pics later. I might do a tutorial on how to do it the next time I change my pump.

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=295&

Its a plastic cube that can easily be modified into a reservior. I've done it twice. It can also be found in some home furnishing stores, not sure of the ones I saw it in. It comes apart into two pieces that intermesh.

I have the pump mounted directly to the side of the reservior with 2 barbs next to it, two threaded holes on top for filling, and a internal divider to direct the flow of water.

The plastic is a bit thin ( about 1/4" thick, probably more of 1/8" thick), so you will have to get some scrap plastic and glue it to the places where you will be putting the holes.

I used this plastic glue. http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=130&

I determined where I was going to put the barbs and the pump. I cut a piece of the scrap plastic and soaked the face of the plastic in the glue for about 3 minutes. This softens up the plastic and allows it to make an incredible hold with the cube.

Using this technique, I glued the extra plastic to places where I would be tapping for the barbs. This reinforces the areas that will be drilled and tapped.

For the diverter, I just used the previously mentioned techinque for one of the edges and then run glue along the other edge to secure it down to the bottom.

After glueing the reinforcement pieces, the holes for the barbs can be drilled and tapped to whatever size you want. At this point, I did not have the pump mounted, but drilled a hole large enough for the intake port of the pump.

This is used to squirt glue in with this applicator. http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=170&

Once all of the holes are made, the two halves can be slid back together, and glue run along the insides of the cube to create a water tight seal. The glue will be sucked into the edges of the cube to create a water tight seal if enough glue is used. I used the hole made for the pump to squirt glue carefully inside.

Be forewarned though, the glue on the plastic causes it to turn opaque.

Glue tutorial: http://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/pdf/Product Bulletin 2.pdf

After all of the edges are sealed and tested for water tightness, you can glue the pump on with the same glue ( assuming you have a plastic lined pump).

I'm still doing long term tests of this reservior. I'll let people know if massive cracks or stuff appear.

The best thing about this reservior is that it only costs about $10 for a gigantic reservior that hold about 1/3 gallon of water. (Didn't test that)

when i built my first res i used pvc pipe, pvc elbows and some 1/2" barbs.
went to the local home depot and bought 1 foot of 1.5" pvc tube, bought 2 1.5" bends for the tube and then got the reducers to 1/2" it looks like this:

http://v5o5jotqkgfu3btr91t7w5fhzedjaoaz8igl.unbf.ca/~d9n32/

cost like $5 to build... i've since made the same shape out of acrylic tube and parts for a central vac so it's clear now.

I've got a nice 3 gallon container that I picked up at the Grocery store for about $13 that works well after you mod some barbs on it. It was orginally one of those water containers.

Double Jesus said:
when i built my first res i used pvc pipe, pvc elbows and some 1/2" barbs.
went to the local home depot and bought 1 foot of 1.5" pvc tube, bought 2 1.5" bends for the tube and then got the reducers to 1/2" it looks like this:

http://v5o5jotqkgfu3btr91t7w5fhzedjaoaz8igl.unbf.ca/~d9n32/

cost like $5 to build... i've since made the same shape out of acrylic tube and parts for a central vac so it's clear now.

you could actually pick up some nuts for those barbs and just mount it to your cas and lose the zip ties. it would look better over all. but I did basically the same thing. but mine is vertical and I placed a ice machine water valve at the bottom for draining. and fitted a screw top to the top with barbs coming out the side. I would take a picture but my camaera is in my car and its late. maybe later

Back