Home Theatre Question

Filet MP

Limp Gawd
Does anyone have any recommendations for an overhead DLP home theatre projector?

I'm in the 1700 - 2k range for this purchase.

Thanks in advance.

I would also take a look at the Optoma H30 in that price range. The infocus does have nice picture but I have had serious reliability issues in the few places I have put them for customers.

I like the Infocus 4805. I just installed it for a client of mine. It does 16:9 and is an EDTV projector. Looks great with HDTV broadcasts, DVDs and computers. If you are just getting into projectors and HDTV, this is a good way to do it without breaking the bank. It is not true HDTV, but it is much better than anything else you've ever experienced unless you already have a huge HDTV set. You can find it for around $1500 I believe.

Any reason why you are stuck on DLP? The 4805 fits the range for a good DLP but is crippled in terms of resolution. The Panasonic AE700 fits the bill in your price range and is true HD...so does the sanyo Z3. I have the Z2 and love it greatly. 1280x720 is very nice. The AE700 provides very good contrast for a LCD and plenty of light power.

If you never plan on watching HD in the next 5 years then the 4805 is the way to go. But if you plan on HD content then you really should look at the Z3/AE700. And the cheapest HD DLP is still $4k+

Image below is my house with the lights full on. Image is still good. With lights at dim..the image is stellar. I have seen the AE700 and it is a solid improvment over the Z2. And compared to a 4805 I have seen I think the contrast is still very good but the 4805 still wins in terms of black level. But that is the ONLY category where it wins.

ht_room1_forthread.jpg

-tReP

mwave.com has the optoma h30 for $1030 at that price nothing can beat it. The next comparable model (in the dlp realm) is the 4805 which is like $1400.

I absolutely love my h30

Trepidati0n said:
Any reason why you are stuck on DLP? The 4805 fits the range for a good DLP but is crippled in terms of resolution. The Panasonic AE700 fits the bill in your price range and is true HD...so does the sanyo Z3. I have the Z2 and love it greatly. 1280x720 is very nice. The AE700 provides very good contrast for a LCD and plenty of light power.

If you never plan on watching HD in the next 5 years then the 4805 is the way to go. But if you plan on HD content then you really should look at the Z3/AE700. And the cheapest HD DLP is still $4k+

Image below is my house with the lights full on. Image is still good. With lights at dim..the image is stellar. I have seen the AE700 and it is a solid improvment over the Z2. And compared to a 4805 I have seen I think the contrast is still very good but the 4805 still wins in terms of black level. But that is the ONLY category where it wins.

ht_room1_forthread.jpg

-tReP

This mans knows what he's talking about, I want a AE700 so bad.

MaddJoser said:
This mans knows what he's talking about, I want a AE700 so bad.

I'm a dlp fan myself but would definately consider the AE700 as a good alternative. Heard nothing but good things about that projector.

Back