Home theaters in a box

Shapeshifter

Limp Gawd
thinking of getting a HTIB instead of some pc speakers (aka get them over gigaworks, logitech etc) for one, they are cheaper.

and they should sound better eh? (using soundstorm)

My budget is around $400 there abouts.

looking at futureshop (canadian dollars mind you) I could get any of the following.

Sony DAVSB100 1-Disc Home Theatre System
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...d=19701&logon=&langid=EN&dept=10&WLBS=fsweb22

Pioneer HTD-340 5-Disc Home Theatre System
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...d=19701&logon=&langid=EN&dept=10&WLBS=fsweb22

Sony HT-DDW760 Home Theatre System

JVC THB-5000 Home Theatre System

Sony DAV-BC150 Home Theatre System

what would you choose? (if you go by weight as a factor in quality, the jvc weighs in at 25.5 kg and the next heaveist being the sony DAVBC150 at 18k, then it steadly drops)

sounds like a pretty cool sound setup man. I've been contimplating the same thing for my setup for sometime. But eventually took the 5.1 chan PC speaker path.

Pioneer and JVC have a much better heratige for building good quality/poor man's consumer electronics. And i personally don't buy anything with a Sony label that isn't a trinitron. </soap box>

Perhaps you can take an audio disk into FC or whatever and demo the playback of the said units. I assume you will still be using this for MP3 playback as well. Because JVC characteristically accentuates the higher frequency levels (higher trebble), and Pioneers usually have a sharper mid-range during playback, i recomend playing with the demo modals and see which playback suits your taste for sound.

I would also look into the manufacturers web sights to get specifics on the number of SPDIF/optical inputs and stuff like that. I don't know what your full blown plans are, but i'd hate to pick up a unit that had only one didital input when i wanna plug in atleast 2.

You are so much better off buying discreet componets (that can be upgraded).

my buddy has that JVC model on his secondary tv and he said it's pretty good. Keep in mind he has a PSB setup in his basement so he does know what good sound is.

I'd spend the cash on a soundcard and a good PC speaker system. Heck, for the limitations of soundstorm, you'd be fine with the Z5500's or Z680's. Besides, recievers and HT speakers are bulky as hell. I'd only use them if you actually waanted a HT setupl I have a Kenwood system right now that I'm doing that with. Going analog from an Audigy right now.

IdiotInCharge said:
I'd spend the cash on a soundcard and a good PC speaker system. Heck, for the limitations of soundstorm, you'd be fine with the Z5500's or Z680's. Besides, recievers and HT speakers are bulky as hell. I'd only use them if you actually waanted a HT setupl I have a Kenwood system right now that I'm doing that with. Going analog from an Audigy right now.

limitations? its as good or a bit better then an audigy, and if you use analog speakers your not even using soundstorm (just crappy ac97 codec sound) add to the fact that the only pc speakers with digital are the z-680's and the z-5500's (which have a reputation in bass deparment) and here in canada Cost the same as any of the above HTIB's, I think the HTIB would sound considerable better.

And Mister X I can't buy seperate compontents as I have a 400 dollar budget like I said. :eek:

The high-end PC speakers like the GigaWorks will provide much better bang for your buck. I've heard the JVC and Sony systems here and they're terrible.

actually the better home theater in a box systems are either on par or less than the high end multimedia systems. many will agree with me that the sub on the 5.1 ultra basically kills anything in its price range. i would recommend you get gigaworks/klipsch. but if you really want a home theater, then get a similiarly priced onkyo set. onkyo's have good bang for buck.

Xeero said:
actually the better home theater in a box systems are either on par or less than the high end multimedia systems. many will agree with me that the sub on the 5.1 ultra basically kills anything in its price range. i would recommend you get gigaworks/klipsch. but if you really want a home theater, then get a similiarly priced onkyo set. onkyo's have good bang for buck.

Pretty much... Im rather dissapointed with the sound out of my Kenwood set. The ORIGINAL Klipsch v2.400's (4.1) sounded much better.

If you dont mind large speakers, Onkyo makes some rather nice HTiBs. Most in the $400-500 range. 5.1 or 6.1 with sub, and a real reciever, not some jacked-up dvd player/reciever combo unit.

Then look at Yamaha, your goal should be a HTiB with an honest to god reciever. Any kit like that can easily be upgraded to better speakers later, while keeping the olde reciever. It's pretty much a win/win situation that way. Plus Yamaha's kits also use their retail recievers, they just change the part number. I think the one they use is an RX-V430 if I'm not mistaken. I own a `430, and they are pretty solid units. Definately not hifi, but still far better than most you can get at that price.

absolutley do not go with htib speakers. I contemplated doing the same thing, then I heard the z680's. ;) I bought them about a year ago and they have absolutley ROCKED. They are not for ultra musical reproduction (klispch is more accurate, and imho worth the extra cash), but if you want movies or to crank up the music, then they will just KILL htib setups. The z680's will even work in a small-medium size home theatre and fill the room adequatley. I know they are absolute overkill for my bedroom.

Do yourself a big favor and pick up some 5.1 ultras if you want to spend close to your limit or some z680's if you don't. And don't look back.

computerpro3 said:
absolutley do not go with htib speakers. I contemplated doing the same thing, then I heard the z680's. ;) I bought them about a year ago and they have absolutley ROCKED. They are not for ultra musical reproduction (klispch is more accurate, and imho worth the extra cash), but if you want movies or to crank up the music, then they will just KILL htib setups. The z680's will even work in a small-medium size home theatre and fill the room adequatley. I know they are absolute overkill for my bedroom.

Do yourself a big favor and pick up some 5.1 ultras if you want to spend close to your limit or some z680's if you don't. And don't look back.

It's all really a matter of opinion. HTIB's are not bad if you get the right setup. I kow because I bought a nicer setup. An honest to god reciever with honest to god speakers.

I tested some 680's and Ultras and wasn't all that impressed. My HTIB blows them away. The speaker's range is much better, with tighter bass and much better mids. Plus the ability to upgrade in the future is great. And I get all the goodies the 680's have. Discreet multi-channel inputs give me the positional audio, and optical input for movies.

I bought my HTIB and haven't regretted a single penny spent.

Go listen for yourself... that's the best advice anyone can you.

what setup do you have? I find it very hard to belive you can get a htib for $400 that blows away the ultras. gigaworks, and z680's...

Umm, no. HTIB sucks, and so do computer based speaker systems, IMO. I've been through tons of 'em to know, including almost all Creative's offerings, some of Klipsch, and some of Logitech. Either too boomy, too shrill, and most of all, lacking somewhere major enough to cause listening pain instead of enjoyment.

If you want to get something like a HTIB, get:

1) Onkyo TX-SR500 or equivalent. Should be around $300.00, and you could find lots of equivalent ones cheaper.
2) Athena AS-B1 for front and rear. These bookshelfs will kick major a@@ for its price. $100.00 a pair @Amazon.com.
3) Athena center channel speaker, whatever they offer.
4)Sub. Whatever you could find that won't break the bank. Athena's ones are nice for the price. Or you can get Cerwin Vega.

So that will bring you to about $600.00. Cheap, if you ask me, and you will NOT be sorry for the sound. It will also last you a while, and you could always upgrade the speaker components in the future.

Put yourself in my shoes. If you hear HTIBs that sell for around $400.00, it is only marginally better than computer based speaker systems. Most HTIBs, although priced outrageously, can be outdone quite easily by hand picked components. However, if you hear pure stereo audio, like my Dad's old Aiwa stereo system, and compare it to either one of the aforementioned, you'll find yourself unconciously doing everything you can to get better sound, at whatever cost. :p

Spend the money right the first time, and you won't have to worry about it for a real looooooooong time. You'll be glad you did.

Shapeshifter said:
thinking of getting a HTIB instead of some pc speakers (aka get them over gigaworks, logitech etc) for one, they are cheaper.

and they should sound better eh? (using soundstorm)

My budget is around $400 there abouts.

looking at futureshop (canadian dollars mind you) I could get any of the following.

Sony DAVSB100 1-Disc Home Theatre System

Pioneer HTD-340 5-Disc Home Theatre System

Sony HT-DDW760 Home Theatre System

JVC THB-5000 Home Theatre System

Sony DAV-BC150 Home Theatre System

what would you choose? (if you go by weight as a factor in quality, the jvc weighs in at 25.5 kg and the next heaveist being the sony DAVBC150 at 18k, then it steadly drops)

You are on crack dude. Go with the klipsch GMX D 5.1 setup. It is dirt cheap now and it rox. I paid 289 for mine about a year and a half ago and now I found it on the net for like 150. You are retarded if you spend 400bux on a ghey speaker set in a box. I say go big or do not go at all. I guaruntee my sweet lil klipsch setup is killin those things in the box. and way cheaper too. I mean it is really loud. It is not any logitech type crap either. It has a hookups for coaxial digital, optical digital and reg rca stereo. check it out.

Bangin Klipsch GMX D 5.1

thank me later.

ajm786 said:
Umm, no. HTIB sucks, and so do computer based speaker systems, IMO. I've been through tons of 'em to know, including almost all Creative's offerings, some of Klipsch, and some of Logitech. Either too boomy, too shrill, and most of all, lacking somewhere major enough to cause listening pain instead of enjoyment.

If you want to get something like a HTIB, get:

1) Onkyo TX-SR500 or equivalent. Should be around $300.00, and you could find lots of equivalent ones cheaper.
2) Athena AS-B1 for front and rear. These bookshelfs will kick major a@@ for its price. $100.00 a pair @Amazon.com.
3) Athena center channel speaker, whatever they offer.
4)Sub. Whatever you could find that won't break the bank. Athena's ones are nice for the price. Or you can get Cerwin Vega.

So that will bring you to about $600.00. Cheap, if you ask me, and you will NOT be sorry for the sound. It will also last you a while, and you could always upgrade the speaker components in the future.

Put yourself in my shoes. If you hear HTIBs that sell for around $400.00, it is only marginally better than computer based speaker systems. Most HTIBs, although priced outrageously, can be outdone quite easily by hand picked components. However, if you hear pure stereo audio, like my Dad's old Aiwa stereo system, and compare it to either one of the aforementioned, you'll find yourself unconciously doing everything you can to get better sound, at whatever cost. :p

Spend the money right the first time, and you won't have to worry about it for a real looooooooong time. You'll be glad you did.

That is your opinion. Every single klipsch setup I have had for my computer rocked. My current Klipsch Gmx D5.1 setup is extremely sweet. I am going to rock this setup till it just dies.

just to give you a brief description of my theater/stereo to let you know who you are dealing with.

sony wega 32 inch tv hooked up monster 80 dollar high grade rca's.

2 pioneer d710s tuners.

1 pioneer 5 disc carosel dvd player connected monster 100 dollar coaxial digital.

1 xbox connected monster 100 dollar optical digital.

1 set of ls12 cerwin vega 300 watt loudspeakers.

1 set of ls10 cerwin vega 200 watt loudspeakers.

1 cerwin vega ls5c center channel 100watt

1 set of ls8 cerwin vega 150 watt rears.

almost 500 dollars worth of monster 10 gauge cable and digital audio hookups.

takes about 4 hours just to hook all of this up.

People dream of having this. So do not try to tell me I do not know my speaker setups.

For the record in my opinion ONKYO SUCKS. Stay very far away. If you do not go with the Klipsch Gmx D5.1 go with PIONEER OR TECHNICS only. You will thank me later.

I WOULD BUY ONKYO TO SHOOT IT WITH MY 12 GAUGE.

technics makes some very awesome reciever/amplifiers. The loudest and baddest rec/amp I have ever owned was a technics. 120w/2channel stereo. when cd first came out. vega se 12's. You guys should have heard it on that set of vegas I used to own. talk about rockin the house. Never once over heated at full volume.

I am a computer/audiophile speaker junkie I will not give you bad info.

computerpro3 said:
what setup do you have? I find it very hard to belive you can get a htib for $400 that blows away the ultras. gigaworks, and z680's...

I have the one I linked. Plus it's a matter of opinion. I didn't feel the 680's Ultra's or gigaworks had the quite the depth of the setup I ended up buying. I turn the sub off and get plenty of bass with the front's alone.You just can't get that with the other computer based setups. Just my opinion though so don't get all in a wad.

Now about the setup that ajm786 suggested... I am sure it is a kick ass setup; but I didn't have $600+ to spend so I went with this etup. Plus I got a deal on them so it only cost me around $300. So I am sure with the right advice he could put together a good system to build on. That is my plan. I am planning on slowly replacing the stock speakers with better ones.

Like I said it all is a matter of opinion and budget. In my opinion, if you do it right, some better HTiB's sound better than the computer based setup.

>WP< $lipKnot said:
just to give you a brief description of my theater/stereo to let you know who you are dealing with.

2 pioneer d710s tuners.

1 pioneer 5 disc carosel dvd player connected monster 100 dollar coaxial digital.

People dream of having this. So do not try to tell me I do not know my speaker setups.

You know, your arrogance is what ruins these forums.

Just because you spent $500 on Monster cable doesn't mean you are the end-all authority on home audio. You spent 3 lines of your post describing how much expensive "high end" cable you have. I think very few people around here would find that impressive. The length of your "high end" cable does not equal the extent of your intelligence. In fact, many around here would consider you foolish for spending that much on cable which could easily be made by hand for half the price.

What we might find impressive is a helpful post, actually providing some good information, rather than an insight into your inflated ego.

I wasn't going to say it but... d34dly said it far nicer than I would have anyway. It's fine to know alot. It's not fine to flaunt it; I understand the need to present your perspective, but nobody gives a rats about how much you spent on Monster cables. That said, for an inexpensive and certainly effective (for the cash) solution, the GMX's might suffice. I just fault the complete lack of 5.1 analog inputs on a 5.1 system; if this guy upgrades his motherboard, he'd need new speakers to get the full effect. For this reason alone I think almost everyone disregards the GMX series as niche products.

d34dly said:
You know, your arrogance is what ruins these forums.

Just because you spent $500 on Monster cable doesn't mean you are the end all authority on home audio. You spent 3 lines of your post describing how much expensive "high end" cables. I think very few people around here would find that impressive.

What we might find impressive is a helpful post, actually providing some good information, rather than an insight into your inflated ego.
Quoted for truth.
I've seen thousands of dollars worth of interconnects, so $500 on monster cable isn't impressive.
The only problem with what ajm786 suggested is that the prices he quoted are in US$ and the OP is Canadian. Otherwise I'd agree with ajm786 as that's pretty much the system i'm building ;) except I'm going with AS-B2's for mains and using my current AS-B1's as surrounds.
OP what if you save up and pick up components as you go along? I know futureshop has Athena's full sets(point5's? which have gotten decent reviews), although I'm not sure what they cost. I do agree that MOST HTiB are not high quality, they are made for mass market appeal, which means lots of speakers, LOTS OF (MEGA) WATTS!!!, and usually shiny.
What about looking for some used speakers and build a system with them. Ebay could be a useful tool, but there are lots of 30-40-something-year-olds selling off that old system cause the wife finally nagged them to get rid of it and replace it with a "pretty" Bose system, so check your local papers.
Just a couple ideas

^^^^^^^^^

This is probably your best route. Go slow and build it up.

I went with the HTiB because I wanted a quick and easy path to start on. Did my research, found a good deal, listened to them ahead of time and found my solution. And I know that it is no where NEAR what can be had. But for a college kid on a budget, it's what I ended up with.

>WP< $lipKnot said:

2 pioneer d710s tuners.

hehehehehehe Here's whats goin in my basement as soon as the people come and fix the leak (contractors take FOREVER)

120in Da Lite Cherrywood Framed Cinema Screen
Undecided HD Digital projector (a nice one)
2x Dantax Vision Two Floorstanding Loudspeakers imported from Denmark (am considering replacing them with Infinity MTS Prelude towers....)
Infinity BETA C360 Center
Infinity BETA ES250 bipole/dipole rears
SVS CS Ultra 1000w 39in tall subwoofer
Harmon Kardon AVR 7300 Reciever
Sony DVD Audio and DVD player
Sony DVP-CX985V 400-Disc Progressive DVD/SACD Changer
Hooked up to a computer with an A64 fx-55/ x800xt-pe /vapochill LS / mach1 or TEC on video card

and monster cable, because I already have it

All in a room built expressley to be a home theatre with recessed lighting, in wall av cabinent, small refreshment center in the back, etc.

a 32in TV isn't a theatre, thats a theatre.

There's always someone with more than you. Don't brag.

computerpro3 said:
hehehehehehe Here's whats goin in my basement as soon as the people come and fix the leak (contractors take FOREVER)

2x Dantax Vision Two Floorstanding Loudspeakers imported from Denmark (am considering replacing them with Infinity MTS Prelude towers....)
Hooked up to a computer with an A64 fx-55/ x800xt-pe /vapochill LS / mach1 or TEC on video card

Wow... ripped to pieces :D

By the way that sub is awesome... one day I will have one! But I gotta graduate first so I can make the mad $$$ as a teacher! Congrats on a bad ass rig.

thx for the comments, I can't wait to get it done. We planned on having it started day 1 we moved in (about a month ago), but the previous owner lied on the contract about water damage in the basement so we've had to get all kidns of estimates and quotes on fixing the foundation. I think they are coming the 15th or 16th though, so I can start in earnest then. IT's gonna be sick... ;)

I promise to make a worklog thread on the construction of the theatre and post lots of pics too when I get started.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just hate when people act like slipknot was doing....

just so you know who you're dealing with, here's my uber 133t sony setup....

:p

Ummmm, will the member known as >WP< $lipKnot please do me a favor and correct the rules violation in his/her sig.
Active links are not allowed. ;)
Needless to say they don't work anyhow so you may as well fix it now before one of the mods sends you formal warning about it.
Thanks. :)

computerpro3 said:

All in a room built expressley to be a home theatre with recessed lighting, in wall av cabinent, small refreshment center in the back, etc.

I wasnt braggin. I still know that rarely does the average person know how to hook all this up. I have to compliment you on your setup it sounds very impressive.

RTFM has always worked for me. It's not like home theater equipment is actually complex; it's all designed for the average Joe to be able to install (knowing people who do it for a living).

The internet is a crappy device for communicating, but you came across as very arrogant when you said "just to let you know who you're dealing with" or something like that. Thanks for the compliments, your setup ain't bad itself.

computerpro3 said:
The internet is a crappy device for communicating, but you came across as very arrogant when you said "just to let you know who you're dealing with" or something like that.

That is definitely on my list of "I hate those comments."
The other one is "so and so on some other forum said bla bla bla."
And the infamous "there are X number of people in the HT section that will disagree with you on that."
Well Pft
Bring them on and lets see what they have to say once I shred their worthless opinions. :D

Sorry, I am slightly overmedicated tonight. :p

>WP< $lipKnot said:
That is your opinion. Every single klipsch setup I have had for my computer rocked. My current Klipsch Gmx D5.1 setup is extremely sweet. I am going to rock this setup till it just dies.

Did I miss it? Did I not say IMO??? :confused: :rolleyes: I guess I should bold, CAPS, and italicize it next time.

And Onkyo does NOT suck. I have a Pioneer also, and it sucks compared to my Onkyo. Like 5 times as much.

All our opinions are purely subjective. The best we can do is suggest and layout options/pricing for those who don't have the know how to do it. That's exactly what I described in my post. Nothing more, or less.

I've been through so many computer speakers that they hurt my ears. All I'm trying to do is save the guy some money and heart(ear)ache.

Back