Hitachi 80GB ATA100 7200RPM

Hi. I'm new to this forum, but won't stay new I hope.

Anyways, as for a first post, I was wondering, is this a good deal?

http://www.pcinfinity.net/Merchant2...=HDHIT807200&Product_Count=1&Category_Code=HD

I'm new to computers, so I kind of want to know more.

I read aobut IBM "DeathStars" and I'm afraid about this. Does anyone know about this type of model and if they could help? Thanks!

Also if you know of a cheaper 80gig model would be appreicated.

Thank you so much!

welcome to [H]

I have one after my 45gb IBM died (after 2 years of use)
RMA'd my 45gb and they gave me the 80gb hitachi.

No problems so far. I heard that hitachi fixed the deskstar and they won't die like the IBM ones did.

-Robert

The "Deathstar" problem was fixed with firmware. As for the generations following the infamous 75GXP and 60GXP series, none of IBM/Hitachi's drives have exhibited any unusual problems. Frankly, they have become very desirable drives due to their class leading performance and very low operating noise.

the short answer is
ATA100 is limited to 100MB/s burst rate data transfer
the ATA133 standard increases that "Burst" rate to the same speed as the PCI bus (133MB/s) mostly in theory, and more as marketing hype than anything else. For all intensive purpose its the same as ATA100, and was primarily developed by Maxtor as a marketing edge just prior to the introduction of SATA. (serial ATA, ATA 100\133 is PATA parallel ATA)

While the "burst" rate is upto 100>133MB/s the typical transfer rate, is 50MB/s to 30MB/s for most ATA100 7200rpm HDDs.

I recommend you read As the Disk Spins

regarding accessories you need some screws, a good 80wire cable and ideally a nice cool stable place to put the HDD, ideally in a good airstream, that can be augmented with a fan or HDD cooler. But isnt absolutely neccessary

If my Hard Drive is already connected, and I just plan to scrap this hard drive, can I just use my old hard drive cable and put it with the 80 gig?

I read most of the link you gave me, however I had trouble understanding most of it.

Thanks for all your help though!

RE Cable > yes if it has 80wires

Link Summary > PATA isnt long for this world, as bus speeds increase the PATA standard has aged poorly, and is arguably already past its reliable use, being a largely unattributed cause of data corruption and problems with assorted devices.

Its replacement SATA is a much better choice, not for performance, or even efficiency (yet) but for data integrity.

there are adapters to convert PATA HDDs to SATA cables, but you still need an SATA port on the mobo, or a SATA PCI Card. PATA will be around for quite awhile, as it is slowly phased out.

Thanks for all the help Ice Czar, one last question then. If the wire I have is a 40 wire, how would I connect an 80 wire to it?

*Last Question I promise!*

Thanks so much already

Originally posted by MrPlanters
The only problem is that they tend to do a sound like a MEOW each ~10 minutes. It is normal function integrated by Hitachi to prevent the reading head to stay at the same place for a long time. It seems to bother some people a LOT. If you want to know about it go to:
http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=12042
I don't know what all that fuss is about. I've got 2 of the 7K250's (8mb sata), and although I have heard that noise, it really is barely audible. My system is very quiet, and that sound certainly doesn't stand out much. I wouldn't consider it annoying at all. In fact, overall they are the quietest drives I've owned so far, and they're very fast.

So now its a tiedown between them.

However, whtas the difference between 2 and 8 mb caches though?

I would estimate a 5-10% increase in read/write performance from the 2 MB cache to the 8 MB.

Originally posted by xonik
I would estimate a 5-10% increase in read/write performance from the 2 MB cache to the 8 MB.

the 8MB cache is a wise investment as xonik pointed out ;)
if you have a 40 wire cable, you would need to get an 80 wire cable to employ the full speed of the HDD, it boils down to this, the ATA66 and ATA100 standard requires the 80 wire cable, the extra wires are grounds inbetween the 40 data wires, to reduce crosstalk\interference, and without them youll probably not be able to properly employ DMA (Direct Memeory Access) a key component in your performance. It would still work but very slowly.

Good Luck

(Note even though there are 80 wires,
there are still just 40 holes for the pins on the connectors)

I'm going to unscrew my computer this weekend and count the holes lol. If I do need a 80 pin cable, I know one side goes into the hard drive, where does the other side go?

"Legal" IDE connection

Blue to Motherboard
Grey to Slave HDD\Optical Drive
Black to Master HDD\Optical Drive

if there is only one HDD\Optical Drive attach it as the master to the end of the cable (Black Connector)

Dont attach a Master to the Grey Connector and a Slave to the Black Connector

It generally is easier to make the HDD containing the OS (W2K\XP\Win98) the Master HDD on the Primary IDE Channel
you can refer to the manual for its location or look near the connector on the mobo, it will be the one that is labled 0 (zero) the other being 1 (one) on most boards, otherwise its 1&2

The reason for that is the BIOS scans the channels to look for HDDs to boot to (the boot order) the first place it looks is the Master on IDE 0

If there are only 2 drives (a CDR and a HDD) make each a Master, the HDD one IDE0 the CDR on IDE 1

Good Luck ;)

Post back with any problems or questions

I plan to order it next week, but I've already printed out your stuff and attached it to my wall so I don't put the wrong wire together :) Thanks man!

Back