Higher OC less performance??? 6800 GT OC

I've been overclocking my new 6800 gt oc (BFG) ive gotten it to Ultra speeds + however i've noticed the higher I overclock my card the lower the 3d mark scores are both in 3d mark 03 and 05.

Default GT: 370/1.0
3d Mark 03 - 10800
3d Mark 05 - 3800

Overclocked to ULTRA : 400/1.1
3d Mark 03 - 8400
3d Mark 05 - 3200

* Average 3d mark pts. I have ran multiple times... Could this be a powersupply problem I have an Antec 350 watt psu?

It's a clock throttling issue, either caused by insufficient power to the card or excessive heat. What kind of temps are you hitting under load? Try running with the side off the case and a big-ass fan pointed at the card just to see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't then you may need a 'bigger' PSU (400W+).

coz said:
It's a clock throttling issue, either caused by insufficient power to the card or excessive heat. What kind of temps are you hitting under load? Try running with the side off the case and a big-ass fan pointed at the card just to see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't then you may need a 'bigger' PSU (400W+).

one of the two, it has nothing to do with diminishing returns from the overclock, because if it was that then the scores would at LEAST be the same....not lower. Let us know what your idle and load temps are before you proceed any further.

To get your load temp, run rthdribl, disable multisampling, and stretch the window out so that it's taking up almost the whole screen. Let it run for about 30 minutes and check your temps via your Forceware control panel and let us know.

Card runs around 60-70 degrees on load... I use a pci slot cooler

I cant really OC past Ultra Speeds as well.. I'm using coolbits... I did do a downclock with the card... ran it @ 350/1 and that ran up lower PC mark scores

PC mark 03
(350/1)

Did that power supply come with your case? If so my money would be on the PSU not being up to the challenge.

well, im not sure if its the card itself, and i'd hate to have you get a PSU and that not be the problem (altho i doubt it would hurt much)....if you have any techie friends, ask to borrow theirs for a few minutes to see if that's the problem...if not, heck, throw down for a PSU. My case came with a 350W PSU and I plan on getting either a GT or an Ultra 6800, and I already upgraded mine to the PSU in my sig...and I also plan on getting an Audigy2 Platinum and Dual Raptors before I get the card....partly because I want to eliminate any bottlenecks anywhere and I want to enjoy gaming to the max with sound/loading times.....plus let's not forget the abundance of 6800 GT/Ultra's :p

Probably means you're card can't handle the OC. I've seen this with my 9800pro before. OC too much and it can't handle it so scores are lower.

dreamreality said:
Probably means you're card can't handle the OC. I've seen this with my 9800pro before. OC too much and it can't handle it so scores are lower.

I've also seen it many times before, just not to that extreme of an extent. You never know though. :rolleyes: ;)

Back