High temperature in SLI with Arctic Cooling Accelero cooler

hv43082

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a pair of 570 GTX's with AC Accelero Xtreme coolers on. The card are space next to each other since that's the only arrangement available on the Asus P8P67 mobo. However, during BF3, the top card temp reaches 98-99 C and bottom is a cool 50C. Game starts to get choppy, fps dropped, and I think the top card is throttling to protect itself. Any idea how I can prevent the top card from overheating and throttling? I have reseated the cooler and everything was connected properly. :(

Do you have any pictures of the spacing between the cards?
The accelero coolers a bit big, might not have enough space to get the air flow it needs.

The cards w/ AC coolers are like a few mm away from one another. I cannot move them further apart.

Might not have a good fitting on the top card during installation. Also with no place for the hot air to go from the top card, it may be recirculating thus causing higher temps, but 98-99 is excessive.

Pics would be great.

If you swap cards does the top card still run just as hot? Could be a good way to isolate whether the fault is a card cooling issue or a case cooling issue.

The problem with non reference coolers in sli is that you pump hot air back into the case instead of exhausting it out the rear.

Switched top card with bottom card, the temp dropped to 92-93 on the newly placed top card.

You may have to underclock your card some. Those heatsinks don't blow hot air out the back so the top card always heats up quicker. Especially since they sit so close together. I did the same thing. It sucks because it defeats the purpose of getting high end aftermarket coolers, but they really only work well with one gpu set ups.

I had a similar problem with a pair of Galaxy GTX560s. Thats just how these types of coolers are in sli. You have got to force some air in between them. A case with a side panel or two would be the way to go like the haf. I just hung a 120mm fan over the two cards in my case and that did the trick.

These types of coolers kind of suck for sli in most cases.

Put a couple good 120mm's on the side panel, also mount one at the end of your cards, you have to force air into that few mm gap, or it is a lost cause(I used to run SLI 460's before adding 3 120mm's top card was over 90C gaming, after fans stayed below 65C.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Solution: I strapped a couple of Antec Kuhler 620 on them and the result is phenomenal. My GPUs now max out at 45C while running Furmark. Someone over at overclock.net did the same for his 480 GTX's and it inspired me. Best damn mod for GPU cooling ever.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Solution: I strapped a couple of Antec Kuhler 620 on them and the result is phenomenal. My GPUs now max out at 45C while running Furmark. Someone over at overclock.net did the same for his 480 GTX's and it inspired me. Best damn mod for GPU cooling ever.

Any chance you could post some pics of this? I'd like to see how you have both of them mounted.
Oh and nice temps!

Yeah, I just bought a couple of Antec Kuhler 620s myself. Thats a cooler that outpaces a true on your video card. I can't wait to try that out.

What did you do for the vrms?

Any chance you could post some pics of this? I'd like to see how you have both of them mounted.
Oh and nice temps!

Here it is. That has got to be the coolest shit ever. That might be the perfect gpu cooler. This is why I wish that more cards had separate block cooling so that you could stick with the stock cooling for the vrms and memory.

Yeah I thought that I had seen it before, though it's not the most elegant solution the price/perf is great.
I have to say I'm a fan of the all in one cooling solution but the only ones so far that are bundled with GPU's are very expensive. I hope in no time there will be a proper mount for one of these.

In the meantime maybe with the proper case you could mount both rads as exhaust on the right side panel, the link above has them on front panel which would be better suited to intake fans. Again only with the right case or a mod...

Thats awesome, I really love that mod. I've been a big fan of aftermarket video card cooling for a while and this solution is just too good.

Good mod. Great temps. Try to find a more permanent way to attach the cooler blocks...if you've used tywraps/zip-ties. The heat and ozone has a tendency of making them a bit brittle and they can fail over time.

Good mod. Great temps. Try to find a more permanent way to attach the cooler blocks...if you've used tywraps/zip-ties. The heat and ozone has a tendency of making them a bit brittle and they can fail over time.

The op in that thread used two zip ties to hold the zip ties sticking through the pcb. I would just use a thicker zip tie around the block. The four sticking through the gpu mounting holes shouldn't fail.

Its really not a bad method.

In case you were still wondering why the performance of the cooler sucked for the top card it's because those twin fan configurations are pretty bad for mutli GPU cooling (especially on older motherboards where the spacing between 16x slots is tight).

The top card will suck all of the heat of the bottom card directly off the back of it. It's the high tech equivalent of trying to cool yourself down on a hot day using a hair dryer. Blower fans are a much more effective cooling solution in those cases.

Back